U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2018, 10:09 AM

44,850 posts, read 36,203,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I am big on apple orchards and pumpkin picking and leaf peeping so I need a true northern fall. Last October ended on a cold note (first accumulating October snow since 2009, which at least shows it's not a common thing, and thankfully it melted quickly) and Halloween was between the high 20s and low 30s so it was cold but I, and none of my trick or treaters wore a coat/jacket over our costumes. My costume already came with a sweater but I didn't need anything else and it was cold but didn't feel as cold as I thought it would. Kids were dressed just as they would have had it been 50 instead of 30. I would preferred less cold conditions but at least it wasn't warm nor was there snow. Halloween 1991, that would have been a whole 'nother story!

Halloween 2015 had nice weather in Texas (50s and 60s) but Halloween 2016 sucked, it felt like I was in Florida. Also there was zero fall colour in October that year, 2015 actually had some colour. I remember it being surprisingly green well into November in 2016 down in Texas. Yuck!

In all fairness I would feel the same way if we went the whole month of April without any flowers or fresh leaves. Spring here though has similar average temps to fall with fall being more stable and a bit warmer. Last April when I visited was beautiful and everything was already green and blooming. Hope this spring is lovely, but without another flurry in May!
My favorite falls of my life were spent in Virginia and Maryland - I love fall colors and you're right, we don't get fall colors here in NE Texas till November - this past year we "got" fall colors around Thanksgiving! A little late for my taste but better late than never.

I agree that Halloween 2016 was sucky weather here - thankfully it's not typically HOT (not to me, anyway) on Halloween and I didn't like it, but it was an aberration, I guess like snow flurries in May.

It's really not fair to judge any region on aberrations, but it's good to know what CAN happen - LOL.

Spring is coming up and I can't wait to work in the yard! I couldn't resist and actually went out and pruned all my rose bushes yesterday and this morning (started drizzling on me this morning, but I was finishing up so no worries). I hope we don't get another hard freeze but if so, at least the main work is done and I'll just have to trim what I've cut.

I'm all scratched up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 10:14 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,162,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Texas weather sucks. I repeat: Texas weather sucks.

Alright everyone, all together now! Repeat after me: TEXAS. WEATHER. SUCKS!!!!

No, seriously. Texas weather sucks. Its rainy, its humid, winters aren't remotely "warm" like they say, its buggy, its stormy, it floods, it ices up, its devastated by monster tornados, ravaged by gargantuan hail from hell, its windy, and its nowhere near close to being the sunniest place in the country like Texans try to make it seem like it is.
A long winded way of saying that Texas is a humid state, which I am eternally grateful for.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Texas weather sucks. I repeat: Texas weather sucks.

Alright everyone, all together now! Repeat after me: TEXAS. WEATHER. SUCKS!!!!

No, seriously. Texas weather sucks. Its rainy, its humid, winters aren't remotely "warm" like they say, its buggy, its stormy, it floods, it ices up, its devastated by monster tornados, ravaged by gargantuan hail from hell, its windy, and its nowhere near close to being the sunniest place in the country like Texans try to make it seem like it is.
Haha, hope you don't live here! I love NORTHEAST Texas weather (Texas is a big state so there's a wide variety of weather here - hard to generalize).

Humidity has never bothered me (NE Texas is actually less humid than many places I've lived - LA and SC spring to mind immediately) - in fact, it keeps my skin nice which I really appreciate. It's definitely NOT "rainy" here, in context, not to me anyway, having lived in truly rainy places such as Germany and Louisiana. On average, we get about 232 days of sunshine, above the national average of 205.

We get cold snaps here in NE Texas but the average winter lows in January are above freezing at about 35, and the average highs are 55 (January is the coldest month here). That's not what I'd call "cold" and on sunny days when the temps are 55 (as happens often through Dec- Feb here) it's gorgeous.

Bugs - meh. Like I said, I've lived in Louisiana - Land of Bugs. Bugs are easy to keep at bay. I've literally never seen a bug of any consequence in my house (maybe a fly?), and we spray regularly from March to October for mosquitoes and have no mosquitoes in our yard, even though we live across the street from a creek. Which by the way, floods regularly but never floods my yard.

And I LOVE big storms! Which we get every spring, and I am stoked about. We get hail too, but I've never experienced hail damage. I've been in or near many tornadoes in my life (and not just in Texas, but also in LA, NC, GA, AR, and AL) and had to take shelter during a warning just about once a year, but I've never experienced any significant tornado damage either.

And it's not particularly windy here either. We don't live on the plains here in NE Texas. The terrain looks a whole lot like the other southern states in fact.

Now - I wouldn't want to live in Midland, or El Paso, or even San Angelo, but like I said, Texas is a big state so I have lots of choices. For that matter, the US is a big country, and my husband's job only requires that we live near an international airport, so I really could live anywhere I wanted to. Lots of great places to live in the US. NE Texas is just one of many places I like.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
A long winded way of saying that Texas is a humid state, which I am eternally grateful for.
Me too. I've lived in dry climates. Ugh. I don't care for it personally but like I've said, to each his own.

My skin, eyes, lip, hair and contact lenses really like humidity though!

Old 02-06-2018, 10:27 AM

1,036 posts, read 520,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob1 View Post
What are the best states for four-season climates?
Iím really loving Ohio. Nice balance of district seasons, and not too cold in the winter. Iíve also been in California and AK, and those were nice in their own way. But I love a good transition of seasons without weather being too extreme. Itís been a nice change of pace here.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmooky View Post
Iím really loving Ohio. Nice balance of district seasons, and not too cold in the winter. Iíve also been in California and AK, and those were nice in their own way. But I love a good transition of seasons without weather being too extreme. Itís been a nice change of pace here.
My daughter and her family live in Ohio, and so does my brother. I visit there often, and I really like much of the weather up there. The winters in the Dayton area are a bit much for me, but other than that, I think it's really nice.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:57 PM

Just thought some of you might be glad to hear that it's absolutely wretched weather right now in NE Texas. Pouring down rain, thundering (but not enough to be interesting), and 49 degrees. Hey, at least I'm not dealing with sleet! And it's down hill from here because it's supposed to get colder and keep raining today.

But it's February so this is to be expected. I knew it was coming and that's why I aired the pillows and dog beds all day on the patio yesterday and line dried my sheets and pruned my roses then. Oh the wonders of modern technology combined with old school clothes hanging!

So today is a hot soup, hot tea, lazy by the fire (gas logs - LOL) day with the dogs at my feet, feeling grateful for a good roof over my head and spring around the corner.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:58 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,390,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Just thought some of you might be glad to hear that it's absolutely wretched weather right now in NE Texas. Pouring down rain, thundering (but not enough to be interesting), and 49 degrees. Hey, at least I'm not dealing with sleet! And it's down hill from here because it's supposed to get colder and keep raining today.

But it's February so this is to be expected. I knew it was coming and that's why I aired the pillows and dog beds all day on the patio yesterday and line dried my sheets and pruned my roses then. Oh the wonders of modern technology combined with old school clothes hanging!

So today is a hot soup, hot tea, lazy by the fire (gas logs - LOL) day with the dogs at my feet, feeling grateful for a good roof over my head and spring around the corner.
I thought you loved storms, Kathy 49 and pouring rain is perfect scary movie weather, especially with thunder.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I thought you loved storms, Kathy 49 and pouring rain is perfect scary movie weather, especially with thunder.
It's a bit too chilly for me! I do love storms though, but these are not fierce like I really like them - just rumbly, cold thundery rain all day. Give me a shock and awe thunderstorm with a tornado watch thrown in for good measure on a balmy spring day and I'm happy as a pig in dirt! I love standing out on my patio under a bit of cover watching a huge storm roll in from the west!

Bonus points if I have to take cover in a small, windowless interior room with my dogs. As for hail, that's what garages and home owners insurance are for! LOL

I did enjoy a fire and some hot tea yesterday, with my dogs. Had to get out in the cold, drenching rain last night though and that was no bueno.

I told you I have little tolerance for winter - it's February and I'm like, "Hey. Time to warm up!" We've had two months of winter and I am DONE. Today is cold (for me) - 34 right now with a high of 46 expected - and mostly cloudy. Ugh. I hate to even step outside, but duty calls.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:16 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,390,242 times
[quote=KathrynAragon;50949205]It's a bit too chilly for me! I do love storms though, but these are not fierce like I really like them - just rumbly, cold thundery rain all day. Give me a shock and awe thunderstorm with a tornado watch thrown in for good measure on a balmy spring day and I'm happy as a pig in dirt! I love standing out on my patio under a bit of cover watching a huge storm roll in from the west!

Bonus points if I have to take cover in a small, windowless interior room with my dogs. As for hail, that's what garages and home owners insurance are for! LOL

I did enjoy a fire and some hot tea yesterday, with my dogs. Had to get out in the cold, drenching rain last night though and that was no bueno.

I told you I have little tolerance for winter - it's February and I'm like, "Hey. Time to warm up!" We've had two months of winter and I am DONE. Today is cold (for me) - 34 right now with a high of 46 expected - and mostly cloudy. Ugh. I hate to even step outside, but duty calls.[/quote]

Lol, you'll live. Funny thing is how today has been. I had a terrible morning. Had to wait in the bus in 3 degree weather (thankfully not windy) the first bus took forever, thankfully the 2nd bus only took 8 minutes. There's a huge difference from walking in 3 degrees, and standing still for an extended period of time! Well to make things worse, as soon as I got off the bus in downtown Minneapolis, I realised I did not have my wallet on me. I checked my backpack and no dice so I frantically called the transit authority and after a while I got a response that yes, they had it.

I had to walk 20 minutes to an industrial part of the city to pick it up, and on my way back I started working up quite the sweat. At first it was "I can't wait to get out of the cold and into the heated building" and then later it was "I can't wait to get inside and take off all these layers, I'm overheating!" Thats how much a difference an 11 degree warm up can make. That's why I prefer the cold. To me, its only that uncomfortable when you have to stay still. If you get to move around, its easy to warm up. Waiting for the bus sucks in the cold but its just awful in extreme heat. And in the heat its the opposite, if you walk, you warm yourself up even more.

Another thing I like about winter here is that the cold limits how much people are on their cellphones, so it can sometimes feel like you're back in the 80s or 90s. When its super cold I only use my phone if needed (GPS, Uber), when taking an occasional picture or if I'm talking on the phone. I don't text unless I'm right by my house or a warm environment so I can go walking around the city without technological distractions and actually take it in. It was actually really nice walking back with my wallet and appreciating the city views without a tiny digital screen in front of me and it makes you realise that the most major change within the past 40 years, really is mostly technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or