U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2018, 08:41 PM

4,853 posts, read 2,978,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
I was born and raised in Southern California, and I currently live in the same city in which I was born. And while Southern California has a lot to offer, one of my long-standing complaints about the region is the lack of real seasons. The weather here, while being relatively mild, is just plain boring to me. Moreover, the predominant season here is basically mild summer, meaning that most of the time itís sunny and either warm or occasionally hot ó and that weather pattern lasts about 8-9 months out of the year, because summer-like conditions here last well into the fall, and we often have warm spells in the dead of winter: 80 degree Christmas and New Yearís Days are not unheard of here. But at least I am relatively close to the ocean (about 8 straight-line miles to Seal Beach, so we stay much cooler in summer than do the inland locations).

But sunny and warm-ish is the predominate weather pattern here for most of the year. And to me that gets old. The lack of any appreciable shifts in the seasons gets boring. And because I am no fan of the heat, I often get depressed because of the constant sunshine and warm weather. (Although I do realize that having to shovel snow and ice and navigate daily life in cold climates would get old during the winter months, so I realize things could be worse in the opposite direction: stick me in Fargo, North Dakota for a winter and I may beg to return to Southern California!)

But it would be nice to live in an area that had shorter summers and a more traditional fall and winter season. A little snow, some cold, and a crisp, brisk fall season would be nice. To experience that I have to drive a few hours up into the mountains to places like Big Bear or Idyllwild or Wrightwood. So, at 43, after living here my whole life, Iím ready to relocate mainly for climactic reasons, but also for wanderlust reasons, because I have always had a strong sense of adventure.
Do it. Life's too short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 04:56 AM

18,927 posts, read 6,856,300 times
Quote:
I was born and raised in Southern California, and I currently live in the same city in which I was born. And while Southern California has a lot to offer, one of my long-standing complaints about the region is the lack of real seasons. The weather here, while being relatively mild, is just plain boring to me. Moreover, the predominant season here is basically mild summer, meaning that most of the time itís sunny and either warm or occasionally hot ó and that weather pattern lasts about 8-9 months out of the year, because summer-like conditions here last well into the fall, and we often have warm spells in the dead of winter: 80 degree Christmas and New Yearís Days are not unheard of here. But at least I am relatively close to the ocean (about 8 straight-line miles to Seal Beach, so we stay much cooler in summer than do the inland locations).

But sunny and warm-ish is the predominate weather pattern here for most of the year. And to me that gets old. The lack of any appreciable shifts in the seasons gets boring. And because I am no fan of the heat, I often get depressed because of the constant sunshine and warm weather. (Although I do realize that having to shovel snow and ice and navigate daily life in cold climates would get old during the winter months, so I realize things could be worse in the opposite direction: stick me in Fargo, North Dakota for a winter and I may beg to return to Southern California!)

But it would be nice to live in an area that had shorter summers and a more traditional fall and winter season. A little snow, some cold, and a crisp, brisk fall season would be nice. To experience that I have to drive a few hours up into the mountains to places like Big Bear or Idyllwild or Wrightwood. So, at 43, after living here my whole life, Iím ready to relocate mainly for climactic reasons, but also for wanderlust reasons, because I have always had a strong sense of adventure.
Maybe try Atlanta, Reno or Albuquerque?

Old 04-09-2018, 06:01 AM

10,674 posts, read 8,185,426 times
This winter it been overrated so far

Old 04-09-2018, 08:34 AM

4,220 posts, read 2,503,558 times
Maybe we should put a pin in this thread and come back when the seasons actually change. It's snowing this morning in Milwaukee .

Old 04-09-2018, 10:41 AM

1,882 posts, read 1,437,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Do it. Life's too short.
I agree with you. I think I am going to "do it" and make a go of it!

Old 04-09-2018, 10:50 AM

1,882 posts, read 1,437,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Maybe try Atlanta, Reno or Albuquerque?
Good options. I have driven through Albuquerque many times on my way to visit relatives in Colorado, so I am somewhat familiar with that city. It's a bit too desert-like for my liking, but the actual seasonal shifts would offset much of that. Plus, the elevation would prevent the heat from getting too out of hand for too long.

Atlanta seems like a possible option as well, but the warm/hot and humid summers would be tough to deal with I imagine. But I have been researching Atlanta (as well as various parts of Georgia), and it seems like a good option. I used to spend every summer as a teenager in southeast Oklahoma (near Ft. Smith, Arkansas), and I handled the heat and humidity pretty well (Although I spent a lot of time indoors in the AC). And I loved the greenery and woodsy nature of that part of that state; I assume the Atlanta area (and much of Georgia) would likely be the same? The South does hold a certain appeal to me, and it is an area that I am considering. The greenery and the abundant rainfall would be very nice, especially for someone who grew up in the arid West. I have also been researching parts of North Carolina.

Reno I don't know much about, but I do know that it's basically high desert and of course, extremely dry, but it does experience the four seasons, so that is a plus. And its proximity to Lake Tahoe and the eastern Sierra make it an ideal location.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I agree with you. I think I am going to "do it" and make a go of it!
I moved to DC, sight unseen, with a family of four. My only regret is not doing it sooner. DO IT!

Old 04-09-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Maybe we should put a pin in this thread and come back when the seasons actually change. It's snowing this morning in Milwaukee .
Denver as well, for like 15 minutes.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:22 PM

4,220 posts, read 2,503,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Denver as well, for like 15 minutes.
It didn't last here either. I don't have hard facts but it feels like we've already had more snow in April than we did the entire month of March. It looks like we'll finally be in the 50's+ by Wednesday or Thursday. It's been crazy cold lately.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
It didn't last here either. I don't have hard facts but it feels like we've already had more snow in April than we did the entire month of March. It looks like we'll finally be in the 50's+ by Wednesday or Thursday. It's been crazy cold lately.
It's been mild this winter and spring. Dry as crap out here, so we need one more blast of snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or