U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2018, 01:56 PM

1,882 posts, read 1,437,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I moved to DC, sight unseen, with a family of four. My only regret is not doing it sooner. DO IT!
Thanks for the encouragement, buddy! I think I have no reason not to venture out and take the leap. Iíve been in a comfort zone for far too long now.

Btwó you were from Denver? I just returned from there last week after a brief visit. And Iíve always liked Colorado; I have family throughout state, from Trinidad to Pueblo to Denver, and itís a pretty state in spots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 08:10 PM

4,219 posts, read 2,503,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
It's been mild this winter and spring. Dry as crap out here, so we need one more blast of snow.
I don't miss the dry west AT ALL. I've stepped on enough dry grass, breathed in enough smoke, and paid high enough water bills for my lifetime. I hope you get some moisture soon and escape a bad fire season.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:24 AM

44,695 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Update on NE Texas weather so far this spring - it's been a chilly-ish spring, with temps this past Friday around 40 and Saturday around 52. Brrrrrr! But today things are more typical - sunny with highs in the 60s and lows in the 40s. Headed for the lake this afternoon! Tomorrow should be even better with highs in the 70s and lots of sunshine.

For some balance, it was so cold and rainy this past Friday that I lit a fire in our fireplace. Nice day though - I stayed inside in sweats and big woolly socks, drank hot tea, read decorating magazines by the fire, that sort of thing.

Here are a few pictures I took this weekend - bluebonnets are our state flower and I love them! Texas wildflowers are beautiful this time of year.
Attached Thumbnails
Are "change of seasons" overrated?-bluebonnets-2018-9.jpg   Are "change of seasons" overrated?-bluebonnets-2018-8.jpg   Are "change of seasons" overrated?-bluebonnets-2018-6.jpg  

Old 04-10-2018, 09:43 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,978,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Thanks for the encouragement, buddy! I think I have no reason not to venture out and take the leap. Iíve been in a comfort zone for far too long now.

Btwó you were from Denver? I just returned from there last week after a brief visit. And Iíve always liked Colorado; I have family throughout state, from Trinidad to Pueblo to Denver, and itís a pretty state in spots.
Denver's cool, lacks diversity though.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:02 PM

9,013 posts, read 2,730,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Good options. I have driven through Albuquerque many times on my way to visit relatives in Colorado, so I am somewhat familiar with that city. It's a bit too desert-like for my liking, but the actual seasonal shifts would offset much of that. Plus, the elevation would prevent the heat from getting too out of hand for too long.

Atlanta seems like a possible option as well, but the warm/hot and humid summers would be tough to deal with I imagine. But I have been researching Atlanta (as well as various parts of Georgia), and it seems like a good option. I used to spend every summer as a teenager in southeast Oklahoma (near Ft. Smith, Arkansas), and I handled the heat and humidity pretty well (Although I spent a lot of time indoors in the AC). And I loved the greenery and woodsy nature of that part of that state; I assume the Atlanta area (and much of Georgia) would likely be the same? The South does hold a certain appeal to me, and it is an area that I am considering. The greenery and the abundant rainfall would be very nice, especially for someone who grew up in the arid West. I have also been researching parts of North Carolina.

Reno I don't know much about, but I do know that it's basically high desert and of course, extremely dry, but it does experience the four seasons, so that is a plus. And its proximity to Lake Tahoe and the eastern Sierra make it an ideal location.
Sounds to me you might like an area roughly bounded by NC to the south, NYC to the north, and maybe OH and TN to the west. There you'll get summer heat, but not excessively so, and winter cold, but not excessively so.

I grew up in NJ but moved to Seattle when I was in my 20's. Stayed there for over 25 years until I got sick of it and moved here to KC. My main reason for moving was the lack of snow in Seattle (it gets some, but not much), but once I got here to KC I was reminded how much I loved thunderstorms. Didn't get many of those in Seattle. By now I look as much forward to the thunderstorms as I do the snowstorms.

If you go to the area I outlined above you'll get plenty of both.

Old 04-11-2018, 05:53 AM

44,695 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I grew up in NJ but moved to Seattle when I was in my 20's. Stayed there for over 25 years until I got sick of it and moved here to KC. My main reason for moving was the lack of snow in Seattle (it gets some, but not much), but once I got here to KC I was reminded how much I loved thunderstorms. Didn't get many of those in Seattle. By now I look as much forward to the thunderstorms as I do the snowstorms.
I know this feeling - and it took me by surprise too when it hit me. My "hit" was when I moved from Texas to Germany. They hardly have any thunderstorms there, and the ones they do have are mild. I really missed the big, dramatic storms of the southern US. (We also had big storms in the southern states I grew up in, and on the eastern seaboard.)

Old 04-11-2018, 06:48 AM

88 posts, read 51,030 times
What are the best places to experience four seasons?

Old 04-11-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob1 View Post
What are the best places to experience four seasons?
Probably anywhere in the eastern US, roughly north of the AR-TN-NC line, though there are areas south of that (such as in the mountains) that will also have a good 4-season climate.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:45 AM

88 posts, read 51,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Probably anywhere in the eastern US, roughly north of the AR-TN-NC line, though there are areas south of that (such as in the mountains) that will also have a good 4-season climate.
Would Virginia be a good one?

Old 04-11-2018, 11:59 AM

Yes, Virginia definitely gets 4 distinct seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or