U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2018, 01:27 PM

6,603 posts, read 4,113,370 times

Advertisements

It can take longer for summer weather to arrive in Southern California. Right now we're in a steady pattern with daily highs in the high 60s/low 70s, and for me that is perfect. Not "perfect for the time of year," just perfect, full stop.

I'm dreading the eventual arrival of heat, especially because it lasts so long--well after everyone else is enjoying fall, we're still stuck in summer. Maybe I'd like summer better if we had a long, cold winter and the intense heat only lasted two months, but I doubt it. I'd be pretty happy with seasonless 60s and 70s (and a bit more rain).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 01:31 PM

122 posts, read 57,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It can take longer for summer weather to arrive in Southern California. Right now we're in a steady pattern with daily highs in the high 60s/low 70s, and for me that is perfect. Not "perfect for the time of year," just perfect, full stop.

I'm dreading the eventual arrival of heat, especially because it lasts so long--well after everyone else is enjoying fall, we're still stuck in summer. Maybe I'd like summer better if we had a long, cold winter and the intense heat only lasted two months, but I doubt it. I'd be pretty happy with seasonless 60s and 70s (and a bit more rain).
Summer by the ocean in SoCal is not bad at all. If it's hot during the day, it will generally cool off at night. I can only remember a couple days wanting AC.

May Grey/June Gloom was my least favorite season in SoCal. Especially when you need to work somewhere inland and can experience the difference - sunny and nice there, gloomy and chilly back home. Literally, driving back to my home I'd see a wall of clouds greeting me

Old 05-18-2018, 02:37 PM

45,066 posts, read 36,285,285 times
The five day forecast for here is 90 to 93 with lows in the sixties and lower seventies. Abundant sunshine. After a cooler than average spring, we are now averaging about 6-8 degrees hotter than average for this time of year. Oh well! Hey, I'm a New Orleans native. Nothing under 95 degrees with 80 percent humidity even fazes me! And even then, you'll find me working out in the flower beds till the heat drives me in around 11 am!

We've had a change of seasons alright - we've changed over from spring to summer, even if it's not official yet.

Old 05-18-2018, 02:54 PM

6,603 posts, read 4,113,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TasteofSourCherry View Post
Summer by the ocean in SoCal is not bad at all. If it's hot during the day, it will generally cool off at night. I can only remember a couple days wanting AC.

May Grey/June Gloom was my least favorite season in SoCal. Especially when you need to work somewhere inland and can experience the difference - sunny and nice there, gloomy and chilly back home. Literally, driving back to my home I'd see a wall of clouds greeting me
Unfortunately, I'm not right on the beach. It does cool off nicely at night, but daytime temps during the summer are 10-15 degrees F hotter where I am, than actually at the coast.

I LOVE June Gloom! Especially knowing that it will be followed by July, August, September, and October sun.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:11 PM

4,872 posts, read 3,000,080 times
100 degrees at 530 in San Antonio. It's mid May

Old 05-18-2018, 08:37 PM

2,871 posts, read 1,267,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I would hate to see what's gonna happen in July or August if it's 100 F in mid-May already

Looks like San Antonio skipped over spring.

Mid 60's here and raining I'm just fine with that

Old 05-18-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Glad that's at least six hours south of me!

My goodness, the high tomorrow in Denver is 51 degrees though - and rainy. Low in the low 40s. That would feel like winter to me. I'll stick with what I've got going on right here, for now. Probably skip out to Maine or Vermont in September when I'm thoroughly sick of summer though!

Old 05-18-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Glad that's at least six hours south of me!

My goodness, the high tomorrow in Denver is 51 degrees though - and rainy. Low in the low 40s. That would feel like winter to me. I'll stick with what I've got going on right here, for now. Probably skip out to Maine or Vermont in September when I'm thoroughly sick of summer though!
Love 51 degrees. We'll be in the upper 70s by Monday though. I don't have to goto Maine in September, usually starts cooling down here in Denver by then.

Looks like heat index of 95 tomorrow at 6pm in Tyler. I'd wait on starting that firepit. And please stay hydrated Kathryn

Last edited by Gaylord_Focker; 05-18-2018 at 09:26 PM..

Old 05-18-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Love 51 degrees. We'll be in the upper 70s by Monday though.
I'm so glad you love 51 degrees. I do too - in January!

I've really been enjoying working in the yard, especially in the mornings when it's in the 70s like you say it will be by Monday in Denver. My backyard is so shady and lush that it stays pleasant basically all day, even when temps are in the 90s - but as you know, I enjoy the heat for the most part. It's just how I'm wired. I do especially love those cool mornings though - to me, temps in the 70s feel cool, especially in the green shade.

Isn't it great that we both love where we live? Everyone should be so lucky.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I would hate to see what's gonna happen in July or August if it's 100 F in mid-May already

Looks like San Antonio skipped over spring.

Mid 60's here and raining I'm just fine with that
It's humid as hell down there too, lots of concrete. It's a reason I left Texas for sure. Too early to be this hot!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or