Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2017, 04:07 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,050 times

Advertisements

Thanks to North America's geography, which features no strong block against arctic air, the effects of the wretched "four-seasons" weather pattern gets to rear its ugly head so far south.

For instance, Houston, New Orleans, Jacksonville, etc, could be growing coconuts right now, but don't, all because of something that comes down, like what, 1, maybe 2 days a year at most?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 04:09 PM

63 posts, read 42,017 times
I enjoy spring, summer, and fall as their own entities. I do not enjoy the transitions of one season to another.

I absolutely despise winter. Hate, hate, hate everything about it.

I've heard that living where there's only one season is monotonous and something you'd get tired of... but I'd be willing to take that risk if it means never having to deal with winter.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:10 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Could happen, could happen! But earthquakes aren't "weather." In 48 years in SoCal, I've been inconvenienced by exactly one earthquake--and my husband, who grew up 30 miles away, hasn't been inconvenienced by any. Yet!
That's the thing, though. You can see weather coming, you can't see an earthquake!!

Big things might be coming, sadly. Disasters have been off the charts this year!

Old 10-05-2017, 04:50 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
That's the thing, though. You can see weather coming, you can't see an earthquake!!
Seeing it coming just prolongs the agony. My sister, who moved from SoCal to Oklahoma, swears this is true. After her second "tornado warning," when she and her family had spent hours huddled in the storm shelter listening to the radio, and nothing happened, she said she could completely understand why most of the locals basically ignored the warnings.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Thanks to North America's geography, which features no strong block against arctic air, the effects of the wretched "four-seasons" weather pattern gets to rear its ugly head so far south.

For instance, Houston, New Orleans, Jacksonville, etc, could be growing coconuts right now, but don't, all because of something that comes down, like what, 1, maybe 2 days a year at most?
How exactly would any of those cities truly benefit from growing coconuts?

Old 10-05-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Seeing it coming just prolongs the agony. My sister, who moved from SoCal to Oklahoma, swears this is true. After her second "tornado warning," when she and her family had spent hours huddled in the storm shelter listening to the radio, and nothing happened, she said she could completely understand why most of the locals basically ignored the warnings.
Pssh, speak for yourself One of my passions is to go storm chasing and capture images of tornadoes across the Midwest and Plains. I lived in hurricane and tornado country (still technically live in tornado country) and both can be very exciting. I guess people are different. I love watching stormy clouds roll by. I loved spring time in Texas for that reason.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:40 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,518,220 times
THIS is excitement!

Old 10-05-2017, 05:41 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
I don't think they could, as soil temps need to stay 16°C or higher for coconut palms

Old 10-05-2017, 06:22 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,359,435 times
Four Seasons ARE NOT overrated

1. Different scenery, while at the same place!

2. Different clothing!

3. Not mundane!

Old 10-05-2017, 07:00 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I don't think they could, as soil temps need to stay 16°C or higher for coconut palms
Which would be the case for all those cities if the occasional cold snaps were eliminated.

For one, their soil temperature regimes end up falling into the hyperthermic zone, which is the same as South Florida:
http://passel.unl.edu/Image/Martha/T...America-LG.jpg
Plant and Soil Sciences eLibrary

Not only that, but in times when cold-fronts aren't coming through (which was the case for much of Winter 2016-2017), these three cities see quite a bit of winter days where nighttime lows stay above 16°C. The all-round general temperature profiles for these cities are more than warm enough for coconuts, the only handicaps are the occasional cold snaps.

Quote:
How would they not?

Last edited by Texyn; 10-05-2017 at 07:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.