Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2017, 01:07 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,096,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I didn't mean that people who merely live in 4-season climates are tougher, I tried to show that people who embrace 4-season climates are tougher.

A person who lives through a Wisconsin winter by huddling inside with the thermostat set at 75F is not tough, but the Wisconsinite who goes ice skating on the lake or skiing in the hills and comes home to a thermostat set at 62F is tougher.

Likewise when it gets hot and humid in July, the person who spends every waking hour on the couch in freezing A/C just watching TV is not as tough as the ones who pack some water and go hiking, or play basketball, or pull weeds and trim trees.

Getting out and experiencing the weather, especially at the extremes of the year, allows one's body to adapt, just as one's body adapts to exercise.

If you go to the gym, but just sit on a piece of equipment and do nothing, when it comes time to lift that weight or run that 3 miles, its going to hurt. Most people who complain about the cold of winter or heat of summer are those who put off even the mildest discomfort by playing with the thermostat.

I have noticed the same thing with rain. I have know people, both from the desert and rainy climes, who have so conscientiously avoided rain, and even vilified it, that the merest sprinkle dampening their shoulders is treated like some kind of torture, whereas kids who were told to go out and play in the rain see getting soaked as a temporary inconvenience.
Or, or, what if, some people don't like extreme heat or extreme cold. Shocking revelation, I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 01:19 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,439,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Actually, it would not.

While Phoenix isn't inconvenienced by cold snaps like the Southern US cities are, it also never sees the sheer warmth that those cities see (particularly nighttime lows) when cold snaps aren't present (i.e. zonal flow). Such warmth is no surprise, given the torrid Gulf/South Atlantic. That means if the risk of cold snaps were to be eliminated in the South, those warm waters would have near 100% influence over the winter climate (but not full, as there's some occasional Pacific flow from the subtropical jet).

See for yourself the natural winter warmth the Southern cities experience when there are no cold front passages. The 1981-2017 average number of days in the winter season where nighttime lows are at or above 60F. Range numbers account for different airports:

Phoenix: 1 day
Yuma: 1 day
National Weather Service - NWS Phoenix

Houston: 10-12 days
National Weather Service Climate

New Orleans: 11-12 days

Jacksonville: 6-11 days

Think about it: if Coastal South can see such warmth when cold fronts aren't coming through, then it's obvious that the warmth would be what remains if an E/W barrier were to eliminate cold snaps. Resulting in them being coconut palm zones that would far outclass anything offered in the Western US.
No, no it wouldn't. Just stop already, let's get back to the main topic please

Old 10-06-2017, 04:25 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,187,767 times
Moved to the northeast from the sunbelt. Four seasons are twice as good as two seasons.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:53 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,274,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
No, no it wouldn't.
Yes it would, and you know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Just stop already, let's get back to the main topic please.
This is already part of the main topic: it relates to my explanation of why I agree with the OP.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:53 PM

15,952 posts, read 20,911,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Same here. I think the whole SE and east coast have terrible weather.
Hey, it's pretty decent up in the mountains here. A few weeks of hot muggy afternoons in August/September, a few weeks of moderate cold with a little bit of snow in January/February. Vibrant spring and crisp fall! I think it's pretty good, and a whole lot easier than the Gulf coast areas.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:42 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,262,905 times
Totally depends on the season for me, and the severity of what's to come.

Can't stand humidity. Can't stand really hot weather. Can't stand super cold weather or dealing with snow.

Now, I like spring and fall in areas with 4 seasons. That little window of time, even in areas with humidity like when I lived in Nashville, where you are comfortable outside and you aren't worrying about a thunderstorm either. Tiny, tiny windows in the year when you're comfortable outside.

Otherwise, just keep me out of severe weather. This is why the SF Bay Area is so crowded. The weather is great. Our weather is a Mediterranean climate, with a rainy season, but otherwise low humidity and not super cold or super hot. it's where I grew up and although I spent a lot of time away from here, nowhere else ever came close. I'm happy to be back.

Fall is actually my favorite season, though, no matter where I've ever lived. I love sweater weather. I like it to be cool, even in my apartment. I'd rather have the air cool and be wrapped up in flannel pajamas.

The bummer with really cold winters and what has been mentioned, is the need to pile on the clothes to go out, then remove layers whenever you go inside. If you're going in and out a lot, it a major PITA.

The only thing I really liked about living in snow in winter was wood heat. Such a lovely heat. Warms you through your bones with that nice dry penetrating heat. That's lovely. Nothing else about it, pretty much, is though - to me.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:03 PM

6,749 posts, read 5,429,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
Not to say that it's wrong to like a change of seasons, but I personally don't see why people like it so much.
Living in the New York metro area, an area that gets 4 very distinct seasons, I can't stand it. Especially the change from summer to fall when it's that awkward point in late September/October and you don't know what to where because it's 40 degrees in the morning and 75 by 1 in the afternoon. Don't even get me started on winter. I'd rather have a year long summer/warm climate like So.Cal or Texas/Florida

Anyone else feel this way?
Tman: I also live in (upstate) N.Y..

I detest winter. I last Mar 14th we had 35" of snow fall in less than 18 hours! All at once, fortunately, though, there was no snow left before it started. ANY one down south who wants that is more than welcome to fly up for the back breaking work of shovellingme out!! It was WAY TOO MUCH for even the snow blower.

Once our remaining 89 and 83 yo fathers pass, we get a pass to southern winter wonderland.

I'm sitting here sweating cause it was 66 today but will be 40 tonight. I hate heat in the night and a/c come mid day.
Stop over to the retirement forum, i have a post there called " what do you like about fall?. Because I hate that it represents cold weather is coming.....

It gets colder up here than in the city, a co-worker moved up from the city and is complaining about the cold already. I said wait til Feb when it's 5 degrees or below here, and often below zero at night. We used to keep the taps running to keep pipes from freezing. Then she'll really feel cold. She groaned an said I had to be kidding. I said no, I was not.
Anyone who has never had a winter can go stand in a walk in freezer to get the idea. Constantly for 6 months a jacket coat and even gloves hat and scarf are needed. In Feb frost bite is a reality, not just an idea. Keep everything covered as much as possible.

So they can cone and welcome winter all they want. I've had it with it.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:33 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,168,890 times
I love having four seasons! We used to live in central California and our seasons were Too flipping hot! and Fog.
It doesn't cool down until after Halloween. The trees barely change colors. Thanksgiving you could be wearing shorts and a t-shirt some years and be totally fine. Winter is just gray and foggy, which turns into spring for a week or two and then Bam it starts getting hot again and then you're into the blistering summer where it's too hot to even leave your house and do anything outside or risk heatstroke, and sunburn.

Now we live where currently the leaves are changing into the most amazing reds, yellows, and gold's. The weather is crisp and cool in the morning, but warms up a bit in the day. We have some rain, and a couple days of snow that has melted away by the afternoon.

The winter is snowy and just screams Christmas! It's so much fun to take the kids sledding, ice skating, and more. Spring was beautiful, green rolling hills, flowers blooming everywhere, and baby animals!!! Finally summer was perfection, warm enough in the day to swim, but not hot, hot, hot!!!

I will take my four wonderfully distinct seasons or bland boring Central California any day.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:18 AM

92,031 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Tman: I also live in (upstate) N.Y..

I detest winter. I last Mar 14th we had 35" of snow fall in less than 18 hours! All at once, fortunately, though, there was no snow left before it started. ANY one down south who wants that is more than welcome to fly up for the back breaking work of shovellingme out!! It was WAY TOO MUCH for even the snow blower.

Once our remaining 89 and 83 yo fathers pass, we get a pass to southern winter wonderland.

I'm sitting here sweating cause it was 66 today but will be 40 tonight. I hate heat in the night and a/c come mid day.
Stop over to the retirement forum, i have a post there called " what do you like about fall?. Because I hate that it represents cold weather is coming.....

It gets colder up here than in the city, a co-worker moved up from the city and is complaining about the cold already. I said wait til Feb when it's 5 degrees or below here, and often below zero at night. We used to keep the taps running to keep pipes from freezing. Then she'll really feel cold. She groaned an said I had to be kidding. I said no, I was not.
Anyone who has never had a winter can go stand in a walk in freezer to get the idea. Constantly for 6 months a jacket coat and even gloves hat and scarf are needed. In Feb frost bite is a reality, not just an idea. Keep everything covered as much as possible.

So they can cone and welcome winter all they want. I've had it with it.
I don’t know if I would go this far and I live further north. Last winter, we really only had 3 heavy snowfalls, with dusting to an inch where I was. Further north got hit pretty hard in the snow belt, but you can go 20 minutes south and have little to no snow. This is the case for other Upstate NY areas, as there may be a heavy snow belt with gradual average snowfall totals that vary. MAP: New England & New York’s Annual Average Snowfall | Unofficial Networks

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...es-region.html

I tell people to expect/prepare for snow from just after Thanksgiving to mid March, give or take.

Temperatures tend to be in the high teens to low 20’s at the low end on average during those months. For highs on average, it is usually in the 30-40 degree range. https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...th-average.php

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/usny2737

https://weatherspark.com/y/22184/Ave...tes-Year-Round

Old 10-07-2017, 10:01 AM

20,719 posts, read 9,318,602 times
As best I can tell from these responses, it seems the people who like 4 distinct seasons see weather as an end in itself (as I said for myself before). Inclement weather is something that's enjoyed, not dreaded. The people who don't like 4 distinct seasons seem to regard inclement weather as something to dread and avoid. To them, it seems like weather is a kind of background thing you have to put up with regardless, so it would be preferable not to have to put up with anything harsh which would interfere with one's daily routine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.