Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2017, 10:48 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Hey, it's pretty decent up in the mountains here. A few weeks of hot muggy afternoons in August/September, a few weeks of moderate cold with a little bit of snow in January/February. Vibrant spring and crisp fall! I think it's pretty good, and a whole lot easier than the Gulf coast areas.
A few weeks of hot and muggy? No way.

I just looked it up and seems you're right. I spent a day in Asheville in August and it was baking. It wasn't too bad in the shade though.

We have better food though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 03:42 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I don't think they could, as soil temps need to stay 16°C or higher for coconut palms
I don't think so either. Coconut palms are found pretty far south in FL. I don't even think Tampa has any or at least many. I notice you don't really see royal palms until you're about an hour and a half north of Miami. There's actually a slightly subtle but noticeable geographic change in Florida. The northern half is similar to the coastal deep south, with live oak trees, pines and sabal palms abound. The southern half has that, but its mixed with more "exotic" and tropical looking vegetation. Southwest Florida is almost jungle like in parts. Also north Florida is full of pecan trees, I loved going to visit my family there in fall and munching on pecans all day long. Mmmm!

Old 10-07-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Which would be the case for all those cities if the occasional cold snaps were eliminated.

For one, their soil temperature regimes end up falling into the hyperthermic zone, which is the same as South Florida:
http://passel.unl.edu/Image/Martha/T...America-LG.jpg
Plant and Soil Sciences eLibrary

Not only that, but in times when cold-fronts aren't coming through (which was the case for much of Winter 2016-2017), these three cities see quite a bit of winter days where nighttime lows stay above 16°C. The all-round general temperature profiles for these cities are more than warm enough for coconuts, the only handicaps are the occasional cold snaps.

How would they not?
You can't just answer a question with a question! What if I said those places should grow apples instead? Different things grow in different places. Leave it as is!

Old 10-07-2017, 03:55 PM

Today's been a very awesome fall day. It started off raining and is now cloudless. Temps 50s to about 60. I went hiking by some waterfall near the Mississippi River (Shadow Falls) and the trees were starting to peak there. So many yellows, oranges and reds. Didn't mind the rain at all as it was a light shower. Its my first fall up north and its just amazing. You don't get to enjoy stuff like this in Florida. The most "nature" I could enjoy down there is go to the beach... which looks the same every day. Palm trees can't compete with boldly coloured maples, in my opinion. Even if winter isn't your thing, I can't imagine why anyone would hate a cool crisp autumn day. I love it!

Old 10-07-2017, 04:18 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,219,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
Not to say that it's wrong to like a change of seasons, but I personally don't see why people like it so much.
Living in the New York metro area, an area that gets 4 very distinct seasons, I can't stand it. Especially the change from summer to fall when it's that awkward point in late September/October and you don't know what to where because it's 40 degrees in the morning and 75 by 1 in the afternoon. Don't even get me started on winter. I'd rather have a year long summer/warm climate like So.Cal or Texas/Florida

Anyone else feel this way?
Really? I think that this time of year (early Fall) is the most pleasant and comfortable weather-wise in NY. Warm, but not too hot during the day. Cool, but not too cold at night. I like it. As much as I really love Summer, it can get really exhausting by the end of it. At least in the city. Those first few nights in late September/early October when the air transitions from muggy and humid to cool and crisp are a huge relief every year. And since you’re a NYer you already know how gross the subway can get in the Summer...

I do love me some fall. When I see that first pumpkin or that first pile of colorful leaves on the ground I just can’t help it

I’m with you on Winter though. It’s cool for the Christmas/Holiday season and that first snowfall of the year, but after that I’m just over it really quickly.

Old 10-07-2017, 04:33 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,301,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
You can't just answer a question with a question! What if I said those places should grow apples instead? Different things grow in different places. Leave it as is!
Then I would say that yours statement is empty argumentation. Whereas mine, at least, had basis in geographic/meteorological science.

Old 10-07-2017, 04:37 PM

19 posts, read 29,644 times
No, SoCal and Texas weather is overrated. Especially Texan weather, absolute torture.

Old 10-07-2017, 04:46 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Love the change in seasons, especially the change from summer to fall. It’s so nice to have relief from the heat and humidity.

This weekend’s hot summer-like weather on the east coast is a bummer because I’m ready to be done with it. Bring on the cool crisp air, hot cider, and bonfires.

Old 10-07-2017, 04:49 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Today's been a very awesome fall day. It started off raining and is now cloudless. Temps 50s to about 60. I went hiking by some waterfall near the Mississippi River (Shadow Falls) and the trees were starting to peak there. So many yellows, oranges and reds. Didn't mind the rain at all as it was a light shower. Its my first fall up north and its just amazing. You don't get to enjoy stuff like this in Florida. The most "nature" I could enjoy down there is go to the beach... which looks the same every day. Palm trees can't compete with boldly coloured maples, in my opinion. Even if winter isn't your thing, I can't imagine why anyone would hate a cool crisp autumn day. I love it!
Agree 100%. I've never understood why people rave over palm trees when there are maple trees around

I also couldn't imagine not having 4 seasons. I do confess to winter being one of my "things"--after Fall--and a proper Winter needs lots of snow for me

Old 10-07-2017, 04:52 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Of course, most people like comfortable, non-humid days with cool nights, AKA "fall." Everyone loves fall! I've talked to several out-of-staters who ask how people can tolerate SoCal weather "because it's hot all the time." When I explain that yes, we do have a long hot, dry season, but it is followed by 5-6 months of what they might describe as "fall," and winter never arrives, sometimes the lightbulb goes on. Lots of people would like that!

Absolutely, it's all in what you like and can tolerate. As for winter, I like skiing, I like ice skating, and I like taking my kids up to play in the snow. But do I want to spend maybe 25% of my life living in and dealing with snow and ice, then no. I like living in a place where I can enjoy winter sports for a few days every year on my own schedule, and then go right back to no snow. Your mileage may vary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.