Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2017, 09:07 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Then I would say that yours statement is empty argumentation. Whereas mine, at least, had basis in geographic/meteorological science.

It's the same thing: This place should have a climate that can grow this fruit because I feel like it should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 09:46 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
Not to me! I lived in Texas for a year. That's when I realized I needed to have seasons. Living in a place with the same seasons all year long is super boring. Even if you dislike hot/cold weather, I'm sure we all would appreciate a change in climate.

I mean, there must be a reason why people visit Florida in the winter and why people visit cooler climates in the summer.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:28 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Not to me! I lived in Texas for a year. That's when I realized I needed to have seasons. Living in a place with the same seasons all year long is super boring. Even if you dislike hot/cold weather, I'm sure we all would appreciate a change in climate.

I mean, there must be a reason why people visit Florida in the winter and why people visit cooler climates in the summer.
It's because they can't afford California or the coast of Spain/France/Italy

Old 10-09-2017, 10:49 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,301,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
It's the same thing: This place should have a climate that can grow this fruit because I feel like it should.
Same? Where's the meteorological/geologic proof like I provided?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Except Florida is more desirable than any of those places. Humid subtropical/tropical climates > Med climates.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:06 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Except Florida is more desirable than any of those places. Humid subtropical/tropical climates > Med climates.
Exactly. That's why Florida is more expensive than coastal California.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:22 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I've talked to several out-of-staters who ask how people can tolerate SoCal weather "because it's hot all the time." When I explain that yes, we do have a long hot, dry season, but it is followed by 5-6 months of what they might describe as "fall," and winter never arrives,
For me that would be like 5-6 months of a drumroll. Everyones like a drumroll, the anticipation it creates and the comforting feeling that something is about to come to a head, a resolution. But if it lasts too long and you don't get the payoff (Winter) it can be just maddening.

And without winter, the ecstatic feeling brought upon by the arrival Spring never occurs. No crocuses poking through the snow, no branches suddenly crusted in green and purple buds, no heavy showers that reinvigorate the slumbering earth, and those first warm days (50-60F) when you can wear a short sleeved shirt... The very earth smells like life.

But only if you get Spring after Winter.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:25 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I don't mind fall or spring. I prefer summer. I wouldn't be sad if I never saw another leafless tree and dead grass again.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:12 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,771,337 times
Quote:

I suspect that very few people are going to agree with that.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post

I could afford going to California (not at the moment, but if I decided to go there on vacation, I could easily save up. I go to Miami every year and that ain't exactly cheap.) but I could care less. I might go to California and get paid for it to be on a TV show sometime this year, and that would be fun but besides that, I couldn't care less Not everyone has an obsession with California. I'd like to visit, and return to Minnesota before I lose my mind.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Same? Where's the meteorological/geologic proof like I provided?

There's no reasons those places should grow coconuts besides the fact that you want them to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.