Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2018, 01:58 PM

7,725 posts, read 6,361,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
April 8 2007 it did snow in some parts of Texas (not where I live in NE Texas though) - it was a very rare snowfall and happens about once every 80 years or so. I'm sure glad we didn't get any snow that year. I hate cold springs.

Likewise, the average high in Texas in October is 79 degrees, so yes, we do complain if it spikes into the 90s like it did last October. Record highs last October were recorded in 16 states, including a record high of 87 in NYC and Norfolk, VA, a high of 86 in Philly, and 87 in DC and Delaware. Sheeze!

October 2016 (last October I spent there) was awful. Countless hot days with very little relief. We took a day trip to Kansas one day hoping to find much cooler weather. It was still very warm though lol high 70s. Oh well, it was fun and the leaves were prettier.

I like cool/warm springs but cool/warm by Minnesota standards which will mean April highs mostly 50s and 60s and lows mostly 30s and 40s. Spring in Texas was always the season that was the most satisfying. Winter was often disappointing (besides 2014-2015), summer can get oppressive and fall can be hit or miss depending how long the heat wants to linger, but spring was always on point. I also love the spring storms that can bring the risk of tornadoes. I find it exciting, and would love to do professional storm chasing one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 03:43 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,218,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
October 2016 (last October I spent there) was awful. Countless hot days with very little relief. We took a day trip to Kansas one day hoping to find much cooler weather. It was still very warm though lol high 70s. Oh well, it was fun and the leaves were prettier.

I like cool/warm springs but cool/warm by Minnesota standards which will mean April highs mostly 50s and 60s and lows mostly 30s and 40s. Spring in Texas was always the season that was the most satisfying. Winter was often disappointing (besides 2014-2015), summer can get oppressive and fall can be hit or miss depending how long the heat wants to linger, but spring was always on point. I also love the spring storms that can bring the risk of tornadoes. I find it exciting, and would love to do professional storm chasing one day.
I could definitely do storm chasing since I have no fear apparently of severe weather and I get a rush out of it! That's one of the many things I love about Texas weather - the huge storms. Every spring and summer - and it's all I can do to make myself come inside, even when the sky is boiling with tornado warnings! (Maybe this has to do with the fact that though I've been in about six tornadoes between Texas and Georgia and North Carolina, and have had some property damage in fact, I've never been injured or had serious property damage that I had to fix).

I love spring in Texas - it's fabulous in so many ways. I even get my flood rush on because we live near a creek that floods easily (once again, never any property damage here and we don't live in a flood plain but we do live adjacent to one). I mean, I love love love these big storms. When I lived in Germany that is one of the main things I missed - the big, loud, spectacular thunder storms. I must have gotten this love of storms from living in Japan when I was a kid - wow, they've got serious storms there too.

I love being able to work out in my yard - and even break a sweat doing it - in March. Hey, I even got out in my yard today and cleaned out some flower beds - it's been too cold to do that but today was awesome - high around 60 and tons of sunshine. Tomorrow we have a chance of rain so strike while the iron is hot! Evenings are still cool though - generally in the 30s and 40s - so I'm fine with that. To me, this still feels like winter. As much winter as I want, that is.

Yes, summer afternoons can be oppressively hot here. Thankfully we have several things in our favor: 1) A well insulated home, so it's always comfortable inside winter or summer and 2) a yard service so that we don't have to get out and mow and weed eat during the heat of summer, and 3) a sprinkler system. With those three things in place, I am good to go. And in spite of what some might think is oppressive heat (low 80s), I enjoy sitting out on the patio on a summer evening. And a fall evening. And a winter evening. And a spring evening. Building that outdoor living space was the best money we ever spent. We use it literally nearly all year, though it was too cold the last couple of weeks to enjoy it (other than the hot tub). Between fans in the summer and the fire pit in the winter, it's enjoyable all year long.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:28 PM

14,199 posts, read 11,447,661 times
Quote:
And in spite of what some might think is oppressive heat (low 80s), I enjoy sitting out on the patio on a summer evening.
Is 83 really considered oppressively hot in Texas? It must be the humidity. 83 in SoCal is considered pleasantly warm. I can still work out outside when it's 83. Not at 93, though.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:35 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,274,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Is 83 really considered oppressively hot in Texas? It must be the humidity. 83 in SoCal is considered pleasantly warm. I can still work out outside when it's 83. Not at 93, though.
It's based on common complaints about how places like Houston "are too hot for 9 months of the year." Or something like that.

Mostly comes from NE and Midwest transplants.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:57 PM

29,784 posts, read 18,638,771 times
Yeah, I don't understand the appeal of change of seasons.....I prefer mild year round.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:11 AM

7,725 posts, read 6,361,184 times
Quote:
I could definitely do storm chasing since I have no fear apparently of severe weather and I get a rush out of it! That's one of the many things I love about Texas weather - the huge storms. Every spring and summer - and it's all I can do to make myself come inside, even when the sky is boiling with tornado warnings! (Maybe this has to do with the fact that though I've been in about six tornadoes between Texas and Georgia and North Carolina, and have had some property damage in fact, I've never been injured or had serious property damage that I had to fix).

I love spring in Texas - it's fabulous in so many ways. I even get my flood rush on because we live near a creek that floods easily (once again, never any property damage here and we don't live in a flood plain but we do live adjacent to one). I mean, I love love love these big storms. When I lived in Germany that is one of the main things I missed - the big, loud, spectacular thunder storms. I must have gotten this love of storms from living in Japan when I was a kid - wow, they've got serious storms there too.

I love being able to work out in my yard - and even break a sweat doing it - in March. Hey, I even got out in my yard today and cleaned out some flower beds - it's been too cold to do that but today was awesome - high around 60 and tons of sunshine. Tomorrow we have a chance of rain so strike while the iron is hot! Evenings are still cool though - generally in the 30s and 40s - so I'm fine with that. To me, this still feels like winter. As much winter as I want, that is.

Yes, summer afternoons can be oppressively hot here. Thankfully we have several things in our favor: 1) A well insulated home, so it's always comfortable inside winter or summer and 2) a yard service so that we don't have to get out and mow and weed eat during the heat of summer, and 3) a sprinkler system. With those three things in place, I am good to go. And in spite of what some might think is oppressive heat (low 80s), I enjoy sitting out on the patio on a summer evening. And a fall evening. And a winter evening. And a spring evening. Building that outdoor living space was the best money we ever spent. We use it literally nearly all year, though it was too cold the last couple of weeks to enjoy it (other than the hot tub). Between fans in the summer and the fire pit in the winter, it's enjoyable all year long.

I actually find floods enjoyable on occasion. Not like Houston or New Orleans after a hurricane flood, but the kind that floods the streets for a day and makes things a little crazy. Its exciting! I won't ever forget the flood we had in Abilene a few years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h74zfNkVXAw Now stuff like that is fun and the damage is minimal. One thing I love about having 4 seasons is the same landscape and scenery looking so different month to month, especially under extreme conditions like flooding or deep snow.

I don't find low 80s oppressive. Maybe the humidity that comes with it but Texas summer nights are generally pleasant, especially for sitting outside and having a beer.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I don't consider it oppressively hot and neither do most people I know but I had some friends down from Ann Arbor MI who couldn't believe "how hot it was" when we were sitting out on the patio in the spring when it was in the low 80s. Same with some friends of ours from Belgium. So yes, I guess that's "oppressively hot" to some people.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I actually find floods enjoyable on occasion. Not like Houston or New Orleans after a hurricane flood, but the kind that floods the streets for a day and makes things a little crazy. Its exciting! I won't ever forget the flood we had in Abilene a few years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h74zfNkVXAw Now stuff like that is fun and the damage is minimal. One thing I love about having 4 seasons is the same landscape and scenery looking so different month to month, especially under extreme conditions like flooding or deep snow.

I don't find low 80s oppressive. Maybe the humidity that comes with it but Texas summer nights are generally pleasant, especially for sitting outside and having a beer.
When I was a kid and lived in NC, we had a creek at the back of our property that would flood every spring and us neighborhood kids loved that!

Old 01-07-2018, 09:23 AM
BMI

7,456 posts, read 7,212,060 times
Quote:
I don't consider it oppressively hot and neither do most people I know but I had some friends down from Ann Arbor MI who couldn't believe "how hot it was" when we were sitting out on the patio in the spring when it was in the low 80s. Same with some friends of ours from Belgium. So yes, I guess that's "oppressively hot" to some people.
A temp as low as 83F can only feel oppressive with high humidity.
Eastern half of Texas is known for high humidity during the warm half of the year,
so yeah it can feel unpleasant, not nearly as bad as 90s with humidity.

83F in the western US ...west of the Rockies ....is usually quite pleasant,
very low humidity is the key factor.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:24 AM

12,734 posts, read 9,363,481 times
Quote:
Was your fire pit lit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.