Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2018, 06:56 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,777,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Northern springs are much nicer. My brother and I both had our College graduations outside in Early/Mid May in Dallas, and both times people passed out or needed medical attention due to overheating.
You are talking late spring. Late fall in Dallas is nicer than late Fall up north.

Late fall in Dallas means convertible weather, comfortable fall football nights. Late fall up north is dark and dreary and getting increasingly cold and windy.

For instance I spent a Thanksgiving up north in Boston one year and we tried to do activities around the harbor but our hands were numb.

Likewise we spent Thanksgiving in New Orleans and were walking around Bourbon all night and very comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 07:29 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,359,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Springs up north are usually filled with lots of rain.
Love it, but not where I've been.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:29 PM

515 posts, read 551,730 times
Its hard to beat Texas in the spring.. late Feb to early May anyway. I was in Idaho last Christmas and the weather was kinda ugly

Old 01-09-2018, 08:40 PM

375 posts, read 315,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Springs up north are usually filled with lots of rain.

Eh, some years yes, other years not! nice and lush up there that's for sure. Green and vibrant! Super bright blue skies. It hurts my eyes it's so bright, lush, and gorgeous outside. I really notice this when I've been away for awhile. Huge contrast when you've been in Texas. No comparison. Temps are reasonable 50-60s a lot of the time. I've spent a great deal of time " up north" the last four years during all seasons and have a totally different experience than what's been described on here.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:11 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,215,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornraider View Post
Its hard to beat Texas in the spring.. late Feb to early May anyway. I was in Idaho last Christmas and the weather was kinda ugly
Last year was a historic snow year for the Boise area, but it is still way less snow than the Midwest or Northeast usually gets. What made the weather ugly? Do you do any snowsports?

Old 01-09-2018, 10:16 PM

376 posts, read 328,338 times
Quote:
Northern springs are much nicer. My brother and I both had our College graduations outside in Early/Mid May in Dallas, and both times people passed out or needed medical attention due to overheating.
I remember being on business in Houston (I believe the notoriously 'hot' Texas city) in early May where one night dropped into the low-40s. Everyone who was hosting the conference was apologetic, that it's usually nicer that time of the year, or so they claimed. It was quite cold, windy, and damp. Wasn't a fan.

Bottom line, I wouldn't call May hot in Texas. Perhaps there are some hot days, but looking at the averages it seems rather pleasant but in practice it's unpredictable.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Last year was a historic snow year for the Boise area, but it is still way less snow than the Midwest or Northeast usually gets. What made the weather ugly? Do you do any snowsports?
Used to do a little snowboarding and skiing, back in CA, where we could drive up to the snow but didn't have to live in it. I did get a chance to go snowmobiling in the mtns of Idaho, it was fun. I just don't do well in slushy snow, freezing temps and gray skies. Now the summers there are fantastic, and we are alreading planning on another camping trip for August.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:13 AM

1,972 posts, read 1,266,613 times
Quote:

The bummer about the Winters in Dallas is that they arn't warm enough to enjoy any summer activities like swimming, aren't a transitional season and full of fall color or spring flowers, but they also don't stay cold enough for ice skating, or have snow to do any of the other fun winter time activities. 42 Degrees today is nice, but it would have been better 2 months ago lol

I agree with this 100%.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:47 AM

So southern cities like Dallas get bashed for being too cold for 2-3 weeks a year, but Chicago and Minneapolis get praised for only being freezing for 4-5 months? lmfao

The only places that would be truly warm (enough to swim anyway) year round would be SoCal, Hawaii and south FL.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:29 PM

376 posts, read 328,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornraider View Post
So southern cities like Dallas get bashed for being too cold for 2-3 weeks a year, but Chicago and Minneapolis get praised for only being freezing for 4-5 months? lmfao

The only places that would be truly warm (enough to swim anyway) year round would be SoCal, Hawaii and south FL.
Hawaii, yes (the coastal areas). SoCal nor SoFla are warm year round. I think a better term for them is not cold, but for me 40s at night could easily qualify as cold, so I'm not even 100% sold on that one. SoFla is close, but it gets quite a bit of days in the 60s/40s during the winter. For SoCal, that's the average not to mention I'd never dream of swimming in the winter there... Hawaii is nice however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.