Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2018, 11:39 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,612,137 times

Advertisements

I don't mind change of seasons, except for winter. I live in Austin, Texas, I am thrilled that cold and windy weather, (and the occasional sleet, snow or icy weather) never hangs around much more than 2 or 3 days, 4 days tops - usually, that is.

When the cold snap leaves the area, it's a good bet that within the next day or two, the temperature will warm up to a balmy 60 to 65 degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 06:06 AM

375 posts, read 331,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Snow in April is not that big a deal.
For you maybe, not for that poster. But the point is it happens almost every April there. And that reason prompted him to move to Texas - where while the temperature can swing, snow in April would be rare there. Now slam your fist some more and tell us it's no big deal.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:12 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
For you maybe, not for that poster. But the point is it happens almost every April there. And that reason prompted him to move to Texas - where while the temperature can swing, snow in April would be rare there. Now slam your fist some more and tell us it's no big deal.
Occasional snow in April is no more big a deal than days in the 80s in December that we get nearly every year here in TX followed by 30-40 degrees.

The thing is, we do have nice spring weather here, but it is a very short season.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:19 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornraider View Post
Used to do a little snowboarding and skiing, back in CA, where we could drive up to the snow but didn't have to live in it. I did get a chance to go snowmobiling in the mtns of Idaho, it was fun. I just don't do well in slushy snow, freezing temps and gray skies. Now the summers there are fantastic, and we are alreading planning on another camping trip for August.
Yeah, last year wasn't typical at all. One of the biggest advantages of the Treasure Valley is that for how far north it is, it has mild winters with small amounts of snow but is a 45 min drive from feet and feet of snow.

I was home for 10 days this year and we might have had a couple really cloudy days and one day where it got warm enough for the snow to get slushy.

Still, I would take the occasional winter bad weather over Texas weather any day of the week.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:51 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,254,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Annually, the average dew points recorded in both Louisiana and eastern Texas are the same:

https://m.imgur.com/DgzLgdY

In the dead of summer, New Orleans does record higher dew points than Houston, but there isn't nearly enough of a difference that I would describe the latter as having more pleasant weather.
I know. I went to NOLA at all times of the year when I lived in Houston and the weather seemed no different than in Houston. I think this was just a myth some New Orleanians clung to as some sort of compensation for being transferred from their treasured city.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:03 AM

375 posts, read 331,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Occasional snow in April is no more big a deal than days in the 80s in December that we get nearly every year here in TX followed by 30-40 degrees.

The thing is, we do have nice spring weather here, but it is a very short season.
For the poster it was obviously a big deal. It's afterall what he said. I'm not sure why you're saying it's "no big deal" because for him it was.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:18 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,885,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Spring is mighty fine Philly:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx535ku0m7Q

Sure beats all that Live Oak pollen clogging up the streets and gutters down Texas way:

”To make matters worse, these crazy leaf shedding trees then form their male flowers, or catkins, which spew forth a seemingly endless amount of pollen, which coats everything in that thick yellow-green powder, which is responsible for allergies many people (including myself) are plagued with. The high spring winds then blow it everywhere. Once this is over, the male flowers then die, turn dark brown, and fall out of the tree all over the yard, creating the third springtime shed. As they are very light, they blow into everything and then break into a million pieces, coating everything especially furniture, and can be a major challenge to clean up in patio areas.“
https://centraltexastreecare.com/201...ding-live-oak/

Ah, spring!
And in fall in the Northeast there are so many leaves, EVERYWHERE. Even if you sweep one day there are leaves everywhere the next day. They get all over your car and then it rains on it and gets stuck in the air intake area of your car. Even businesses have a hard time getting all that crap cleaned up.

So don't claim that the north is any better. Oh and don't get me started on those snow piles that accumulate dirt, trash, and look disgusting by springtime. I was reading one of the piles in Boston was still there in June. Absolutely disgusting!

Old 01-11-2018, 08:23 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,885,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post

Snow in April is MUCH WORSE than 80's in December if you have the hobbies I have. I'm a gardener, snow in spring when plants are blooming is disastrous. In Texas yes it may swing from 90 to 50 but the last freeze is early to mid March. From then until early December (that's the first freeze in Austin) I can be assured plants will survive outside with no freezes...

I guess if I was a snowboarder in CO then I'd welcome spring snow but I'm a gardener so no, I don't welcome it.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:30 AM
IKM

37 posts, read 48,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
Not to say that it's wrong to like a change of seasons, but I personally don't see why people like it so much.
Living in the New York metro area, an area that gets 4 very distinct seasons, I can't stand it. Especially the change from summer to fall when it's that awkward point in late September/October and you don't know what to where because it's 40 degrees in the morning and 75 by 1 in the afternoon. Don't even get me started on winter. I'd rather have a year long summer/warm climate like So.Cal or Texas/Florida

Anyone else feel this way?

Yes, could do without winter, though I think the NYC is awesome otherwise. South Florida is nice too and a short flight to NY.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:06 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,254,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
And in fall in the Northeast there are so many leaves, EVERYWHERE. Even if you sweep one day there are leaves everywhere the next day. They get all over your car and then it rains on it and gets stuck in the air intake area of your car. Even businesses have a hard time getting all that crap cleaned up.
I lived in Houston for 26 years as well as several cities in the north. You are not describing my experience. Two words: Live Oaks.

I’ll leave it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.