Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2018, 08:53 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Everybody has different preferences for vegetation. I appreciate the different types of plants that grow in the US, it would be boring if they all looked the same. Actually, deep South vegetation like in North Florida or coastal South Carolina is some of my favourite to visit, but not to live around. My personal preference is for northern type trees like maples, birches, tall conifers as well as the flowers that thrive here. For the record whenever I send pictures or video chat with friends and family in the South (TX and FL) they comment on how beautiful the trees are here especially in fall. My dad is especially jealous of our soil because it's great for gardening where as S. FL soil is sandy and poor.
I'm very happy in Colorado, just mind numbingly great views, but would love some greenery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 09:20 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Maybe, but if a store bought thermometer tells you it's 48 degrees then it most likely feels something like 48 degrees outside, even if "official" readings say otherwise. Either way, we're talking about temps well below the average for that time of year.
An the magnitude of that occurence is quite rare in May, outside a handful of days beginning the month. SpringSnow's business hosts had a point.

Last edited by Texyn; 01-13-2018 at 09:28 AM..

Old 01-14-2018, 06:59 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Well, apparently we're about to get our annual two inches or so of snow here in northeast Texas. Yay for us! I'll be happy to see it, and happy to see it leave by the next day!

Old 01-14-2018, 10:20 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, apparently we're about to get our annual two inches or so of snow here in northeast Texas. Yay for us! I'll be happy to see it, and happy to see it leave by the next day!
Same for north central Texas. However with the cold temps it may last for TWO days! Oh how will Texans survive!

Old 01-14-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I'm very happy in Colorado, just mind numbingly great views, but would love some greenery.
I definitely would love to visit Colorado. It does seem very dry though. I was in California in November and it was greener here in MN in November than it was down there (grass.. not leaves) I prefer the lushness of the east. I think Colorado's mountain views make up for it though. One place I'd love to see is Vermont. My aunt is driving up there in February. Now that's a place where each season is just spectacular.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:06 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Same for north central Texas. However with the cold temps it may last for TWO days! Oh how will Texans survive!
LOL I told my husband last night, "OK, we officially have a WINTER STORM WARNING. This means we need to go to the store and buy toilet paper, milk, coffee, bread, and dog food. Tomorrow morning."

He works a lot of in PA, OH, WV, and NY. He looked at me and laughed and said, "My gosh, you are such an East Texan." I said "I damn sure am and I'm going to the store in the morning."

Actually though, this is forecast to be an ice event and that is a game changer. As we've discussed, municipalities in this region aren't equipped to handle ice and snow, and drivers aren't accustomed to driving in it either. We have a few sand trucks and that's about it. So I do plan on hunkering down till the ice is off the streets. And I hope we don't have tree damage and power outages.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL I told my husband last night, "OK, we officially have a WINTER STORM WARNING. This means we need to go to the store and buy toilet paper, milk, coffee, bread, and dog food. Tomorrow morning."

He works a lot of in PA, OH, WV, and NY. He looked at me and laughed and said, "My gosh, you are such an East Texan." I said "I damn sure am and I'm going to the store in the morning."

Actually though, this is forecast to be an ice event and that is a game changer. As we've discussed, municipalities in this region aren't equipped to handle ice and snow, and drivers aren't accustomed to driving in it either. We have a few sand trucks and that's about it. So I do plan on hunkering down till the ice is off the streets. And I hope we don't have tree damage and power outages.
I wonder why no one in the South ever has toilet paper or food supplies before it snows I thought most people generally have all that stocked for the most part.

I am lucky to live on the same block as a grocery store (plus I don't drive now.. a bit unlucky in that my car died last fall) so we could have a record breaking white out blizzard and I could still make it to the grocery store!

One thing I find funny is in early winter when the first snows came, customers complained "ugh! It started again!" And when the first below zeros came they made a big deal about how cold it is. But now in the middle of January everyone's so used to it that yesterday during the most snow we have gotten this season, instead of complaining, customers have stated "Gosh it's so beautiful out, isn't it?" "What a pretty snowfall." and no one even mentions the cold when it's below zero. Everyone's just adjusted so much they don't notice haha. It's funny how different climates are that in the South people have this attitude of "It's nice and all but I am glad it won't stick around too long." Here we know it will stick around for months. The concept of snow only lasting 3-4 days tops is unheard of in these parts.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:21 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
I definitely would love to visit Colorado. It does seem very dry though. I was in California in November and it was greener here in MN in November than it was down there (grass.. not leaves) I prefer the lushness of the east. I think Colorado's mountain views make up for it though. One place I'd love to see is Vermont. My aunt is driving up there in February. Now that's a place where each season is just spectacular.
If you love the outdoors, this is it. I suspect, to get promoted here, I may have to head back to the coast one more time. We shall see.

I think we have some ice on the roads today. Not fun at all.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
If you love the outdoors, this is it. I suspect, to get promoted here, I may have to head back to the coast one more time. We shall see.

I think we have some ice on the roads today. Not fun at all.
Is that common in CO? The city declared a snow emergency from yesterday's snow so tonight snow emergency routes will be plowed.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:29 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,875,478 times
Again people not everyone loves warm or hot weather so California and Florida weather being the best is purely subjective at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.