Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2018, 07:25 AM

405 posts, read 475,809 times

Advertisements

It's been a while since I commented/kept up with this thread. See a nice mix of opinions though!

Here in North Jersey, it isn't too too bad yet. Some snowfall. However, my sinuses don't like it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 07:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenHighways View Post
Lived in an area with 'seasons' for 25 years. Finally decided that Ive had enough and moved to the southwest.
My son lives in Guam. He LOVES it - and they have basically two island seasons - a wet one and a dry one. It's always breezy, generally sunny (even in the rainy season, it doesn't rain all day), and 85 during the day and 75 at night. Personally I would get tired of that because while I like mild winters I don't want THE SAME temps all the time. But he thinks it's great. He goes to the beach and scuba dives almost every single day.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:56 AM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
I've lived and worked where it got lots of snow and I can deal with it but I just get tired of the snow after a couple of weeks of it....my preference is a climate like San Diego or Santa Barbara....it's just very expensive to live there.
Driving in snow, and the aftermath sucks. But if I know I don't have to leave the house, few things are more peaceful and majestic then a snowfall.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:21 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
They say that, but I feel like it is just as pretty up here in Duluth during fall foliage season as the pictures your see of New England.

I feel the arrowhead region can rival Maine, particularly with the lake. New England seems to have more mild and consistent falls, though. It started snowing in northern Minnesota really early this year. Now I personally love autumn in the Midwest. I haven't been to northern MN yet, but fall in downstate MN and in Kansas are both pretty because you got the rolling prairie countryside aesthetic which is severely underrated. New England is good for that cottage in the woods feel, but the Upper Midwest does put up a good fight there too.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You say that like it's a bad thing.

It is! There was only one decent winter in Texas when I lived there and that was 2014/2015. Every other winter til I moved out in 2017 was mild and bleh. Winter is also Texas' ugliest season. Brown... brown... brown. The few days of white are heavenly

Old 11-29-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbobrah View Post
How? Are the trees goldplated?

I don't go to New England for fall foliage, because where I'm from, it's the exact same. There's no need.

https://www.google.com/search?q=adir...w=1600&bih=789

Its the abundance and type of trees that you find there, combined with the topography and weather conditions.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
It is! There was only one decent winter in Texas when I lived there and that was 2014/2015. Every other winter til I moved out in 2017 was mild and bleh. Winter is also Texas' ugliest season. Brown... brown... brown. The few days of white are heavenly
I'll take a few weeks (and that's what it is - we still have tons of fall color here and it's the end of November, and remember, spring starts here in February!) of brown to avoid months of ice. To each his or her own!

Someone was talking about how Thanksgiving should be in October because of the fall color and I said, "No, wait - we have fabulous fall color the end of November and into December here!" and that person said, "Really? Because everything is bare and dark and wet here at that time of year." Blech. No thanks.

There are still leaves falling here into the first half of December and things are starting to green up in February so that leaves Christmas (and I don't know about you but I'm more attune to Christmas hoopla than noticing whether or not some place is brown or whatever) and then January - and I actually really like the dark, cold, and occasionally icy days of January - because it's one month. Not four months. I love the novelty of sitting around by the fire sipping hot tea and reading a good book and getting sleepy and realizing it's only 7:30 in the evening...but after a few weeks of that, I'm ready for yard work and spring and all that jive! Though it can get cold in February or even March here, I nearly always break out my shorts for a few days in February and sit out on the patio soaking up the sun - till it gets too chilly and I go inside and "bundle up" in a jacket and long pants.

Remember - I lived in southern Germany (land of the Alps and the Odenwald and all that) and I also lived in Ohio. I know what long, cold winters are all about and I just didn't care for that weather pattern at ALL.

Old 12-05-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'll take a few weeks (and that's what it is - we still have tons of fall color here and it's the end of November, and remember, spring starts here in February!) of brown to avoid months of ice. To each his or her own!

Someone was talking about how Thanksgiving should be in October because of the fall color and I said, "No, wait - we have fabulous fall color the end of November and into December here!" and that person said, "Really? Because everything is bare and dark and wet here at that time of year." Blech. No thanks.

There are still leaves falling here into the first half of December and things are starting to green up in February so that leaves Christmas (and I don't know about you but I'm more attune to Christmas hoopla than noticing whether or not some place is brown or whatever) and then January - and I actually really like the dark, cold, and occasionally icy days of January - because it's one month. Not four months. I love the novelty of sitting around by the fire sipping hot tea and reading a good book and getting sleepy and realizing it's only 7:30 in the evening...but after a few weeks of that, I'm ready for yard work and spring and all that jive! Though it can get cold in February or even March here, I nearly always break out my shorts for a few days in February and sit out on the patio soaking up the sun - till it gets too chilly and I go inside and "bundle up" in a jacket and long pants.

Remember - I lived in southern Germany (land of the Alps and the Odenwald and all that) and I also lived in Ohio. I know what long, cold winters are all about and I just didn't care for that weather pattern at ALL.

Never saw it get green in February when I lived in Texas. Was always March. I've seen buds show up in very late Februaries on a warmer year but was always pretty brown til about mid-March. Even early April can be brown. My first spring in Texas we still had snow in early March, and that was awesome!

November in Minnesota is similar to Texas in December. Some fall colour still lingers on the first week and a half but then its pretty much sticks. The pines and spruces add some nice greenery, though, and look beautiful when it snows. I wouldn't mind having slightly warmer Novembers, but I think December is a perfect month here. Usually snow on the ground, and not bitter cold like January often gets. We usually get our first snowstorm in December. November is flurry season. It can snow but usually doesn't last long on the ground if it even accumulates.

I will say, I would rather have pretty fall colours around Halloween over Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is close enough to December, that I like the idea of the threat of snow Halloween should not have snow at all! (Looking at you, 1991!)

Old 12-05-2018, 01:53 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,034,754 times
Quote:
Never saw it get green in February when I lived in Texas. Was always March. I've seen buds show up in very late Februaries on a warmer year but was always pretty brown til about mid-March. Even early April can be brown. My first spring in Texas we still had snow in early March, and that was awesome!

November in Minnesota is similar to Texas in December. Some fall colour still lingers on the first week and a half but then its pretty much sticks. The pines and spruces add some nice greenery, though, and look beautiful when it snows. I wouldn't mind having slightly warmer Novembers, but I think December is a perfect month here. Usually snow on the ground, and not bitter cold like January often gets. We usually get our first snowstorm in December. November is flurry season. It can snow but usually doesn't last long on the ground if it even accumulates.

I will say, I would rather have pretty fall colours around Halloween over Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is close enough to December, that I like the idea of the threat of snow Halloween should not have snow at all! (Looking at you, 1991!)
The locals talk about that blizzard here too. Supposedly, Lake Superior turned Duluth into a snow factory with lake effect and compounded the blizzard even worse.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:

LOL I said spring STARTS in February. I didn't say it stayed! Also, it's not all greened up but it starts getting green here in February. (NE Texas)

I just like fall colors - don't really care when they happen. Most of our leaves are gone now here but we had gorgeous fall colors a couple of weeks ago.

We've also already had snow flurries - had them the week before Thanksgiving. But that's not typical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.