Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2019, 10:43 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I actually like the gray, overcast, chilly days of January in Texas since they are an anomaly. I mean, we just lost the last of the leaves a few weeks ago and now the trees are bare against a cloudy sky and I like it. But I only like it for a few weeks so thankfully that's all I have to "put up with."

Today is chilly and this weekend it's supposed to get down into the 20s and be very windy, but yesterday morning I sat out on my back patio in a warm robe and drank coffee and listened to birds singing while the sun shined down on me. Nice! I liked looking across the peaceful back yard and watching the birds flutter among the bare black branches silhouetted against a blue sky. I don't know - maybe it's just me but I thought that was really pretty. In Texas. In the winter.

I was looking back on memories from a year ago and we had a big ice storm here this time last year. Well, big for us, probably nothing for people further north. You know what my favorite part of that storm was? That I could get some cool pictures - and then it melted and the sun came out, within a day or two! Win win!

You can't deny the beauty of a clean white snow covered scene, though. You may not want to live in a place like that (even me who loves snow, places like Buffalo or Erie are too much) but you can't deny the beauty. I'm not a fan of tropical climates, but I can still call a tropical island beach beautiful. Wouldn't wanna live on one again, but sure nice for a vacation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 11:10 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
You can't deny the beauty of a clean white snow covered scene, though. You may not want to live in a place like that (even me who loves snow, places like Buffalo or Erie are too much) but you can't deny the beauty. I'm not a fan of tropical climates, but I can still call a tropical island beach beautiful. Wouldn't wanna live on one again, but sure nice for a vacation
There’s no denying the beauty. We’ve been going to our place in the mountains a lot lately because it’s been dumping. I will say it’s been great for skiing, but it does get old digging the driveway out, and driving the few miles to the resort or down the hill past the snow line. I’m actually looking forward to staying home this weekend where we’re expecting sunshine and 70’s, and most importantly 10-15’ surf. It’s been a cold, wet winter so far. I know we need the rain, and snow in the mountains too, but enough already. At least these storms produce big waves and fresh powder.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:11 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I love grey skies, hence I'm considering Seattle. Sun gets on my nerves.
Well it sounds like you and Seattle are a match made in heaven.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:09 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
It's gorgeous. Like the mountains, pictures don't really do snow justice.

Old 01-18-2019, 01:30 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
There’s no denying the beauty. We’ve been going to our place in the mountains a lot lately because it’s been dumping. I will say it’s been great for skiing, but it does get old digging the driveway out, and driving the few miles to the resort or down the hill past the snow line. I’m actually looking forward to staying home this weekend where we’re expecting sunshine and 70’s, and most importantly 10-15’ surf. It’s been a cold, wet winter so far. I know we need the rain, and snow in the mountains too, but enough already. At least these storms produce big waves and fresh powder.

I wouldn't mind getting some actual snow to shovel lately lol. I could use some exercise to get my veins bigger, anyway. I feel if it gets too heavy I might as well buy a snowblower. My neighbour is selling like 4 of them for dirt cheap lol. I'm an odd duck I guess, cuz I love outdoor chores. Like, owning and working on a farm is something I could see myself doing decades down the road when I get tired of city living. Being in an office doing paper work makes me wanna slit my throat, but gardening, working with farm animals, driving a tractor, that stuff is therapeutic for me. I guess its my "country side" of my family. Even though I grew up in a major metro area, farm life was never far away between visiting relatives in upstate FL or the fact both my parents grew up on farms and my dad grew up riding horses, something I envy lol.

I guess because I see snow shoveling in a similar category to plowing a field or something, I don't mind it so much. Doing indoor chores is worse for me lol. Gimme a foot to shovel over a pile of dirty dishes. Hey, could be worse. Could be shoveling cow dung lol. Its just as heavy but less appealing.

Old 01-19-2019, 12:00 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
It's gorgeous. Like the mountains, pictures don't really do snow justice.
You all are crazy, I lived through 18 hard miserable winters of that crap. Never again.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:20 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
I'm not denying the beauty - I just know what comes next, for days or weeks, or sometimes even months. In cold climates, it's weeks or months of heavy skies, gray slush, salt residue on vehicles, piles of sooty dirty snow, patches of ice on sidewalks and roads, potholes, etc. In the tropics, it's months on end of days in the 80s and nights in the 70s, with scattered rain showers. OK. Nice for a visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

But other people love it and I'm glad about that. For instance, I have a son who lives in Guam. It's literally THE SAME basic weather day in and day out 365 days a year - except sometimes it rains longer during the day. He absolutely loves it and I'm really glad about that.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:27 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Oh. MY. GOSH. It's been so freaking cold here today! High of about 36 but due to the north wind with sustained winds of about 20 mph it's felt like the 20s out there. Honestly, I hate it. HATE. IT. But I get to light the gas fireplace and make some hot tea and read a book about the sinking of the Lusitania so I'm OK. Tomorrow is supposed to be better.

Meanwhile, my daughter in Ohio is going to get at least four days of snow, with pretty heavy accumulations and temps dropping below 0 several times over the next ten days. Frankly, to me anyway, this sounds absolutely godawful! Just no. No.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:44 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,527,489 times
Temperature in Kansas City right now is 14 degrees. I don't think it even got up to 20 today. Went walking around downtown this afternoon, brisk wind with the temp around 15. I admit I don't like cold days when the wind picks up, but 15 degrees with very little or no wind is heaven on earth! Nice 'n brisk with a bit of snow on the ground, keep a cup of hot coffee in your hand and it's a winter wonderland. Here's a random pic I took on my phone. It's supposed to get down to about 8 degrees tonight.

EDIT: I mis-named that pic, should be called "Quality Hill 1-19-2019"
Attached Thumbnails
Are "change of seasons" overrated?-quality-hill-1-29-2019.jpg  

Old 01-19-2019, 06:51 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,527,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm not denying the beauty - I just know what comes next, for days or weeks, or sometimes even months. In cold climates, it's weeks or months of heavy skies, gray slush, salt residue on vehicles, piles of sooty dirty snow, patches of ice on sidewalks and roads, potholes, etc. In the tropics, it's months on end of days in the 80s and nights in the 70s, with scattered rain showers. OK. Nice for a visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

But other people love it and I'm glad about that. For instance, I have a son who lives in Guam. It's literally THE SAME basic weather day in and day out 365 days a year - except sometimes it rains longer during the day. He absolutely loves it and I'm really glad about that.
I think you're over-doing it. Even in Minnesota you get periods even in January where the temps climb up into the 40's and 50's and it's sunny out. In the Plains states, most of the winter is actually sunny because it's a bit of a dry season. I think only around the Great Lakes is it usually cloudy so much. It's not like it's frigid cold all winter, like anywhere else you get cold waves and you get warm waves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.