Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2019, 12:01 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Some people do love cold weather. I personally hate it, but I love where I live so I just deal with it. It happens a few times a year where it gets extremely cold and we just deal with it. Most of the winter here in NYC is entirely bearable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
I like the snow and cold weather, but I work from home, which makes a big difference. I was out this morning doing science experiments in the -25 degree temps. Currently -18, but bright and sunny and tonight we're supposed to hit -30 (not including windchill).
I know people like the cold and snow, I do in doses and have a place in the mountains I’m going to this weekend where I’ll get my share of both. I was referring to sub zero temps, or even single digits for that matter.

If I hadn’t left San Diego to go to school in Michigan I’d probably believe more people on these boards. But after hearing people from all over the country, and the world for that matter, with the majority being from Michigan and the Midwest, complain all winter long I have a hard time buying it.

In my experience I found the first snow through the new year was loved, but come mid January most everyone was over it. When it got really cold in February, often with little fresh snow, everyone morphed into completely different people. I’m sure the infrequent sunshine had a lot to do with it too. I seriously doubt attitudes have changed much since the five winters I spent there during the 1990’s, but listening to people here they make it seem like the bitter cold is just like sitting on a beach in Hawaii.

I’m am truly happy for those who love where they live regardless of the weather. That’s what great about this country, there’s something for everyone. I just think a lot of people aren’t being completely honest when it comes to extreme weather, that’s all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 12:03 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I know people like the cold and snow, I do in doses and have a place in the mountains I’m going to this weekend where I’ll get my share of both. I was referring to sub zero temps, or even single digits for that matter.

If I hadn’t left San Diego to go to school in Michigan I’d probably believe more people on these boards. But after hearing people from all over the country, and the world for that matter, with the majority being from Michigan and the Midwest, complain all winter long I have a hard time buying it.

In my experience I found the first snow through the new year was loved, but come mid January most everyone was over it. When it got really cold in February, often with little fresh snow, everyone morphed into completely different people. I’m sure the infrequent sunshine had a lot to do with it too. I seriously doubt attitudes have changed much since the five winters I spent there during the 1990’s, but listening to people here they make it seem like the bitter cold is just like sitting on a beach in Hawaii.

I’m am truly happy for those who love where they live regardless of the weather. That’s what great about this country, there’s something for everyone. I just think a lot of people aren’t being completely honest when it comes to extreme weather, that’s all.
San Diego weather is boring to me. Too much of the same weather all the time. Extreme cold keeps things varied. I like variety of weather.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:12 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times
Quote:

Fair points, there's no utopia, at least not that I've found. I could probably do with a slightly shorter Winter season, but the only part of the year I really don't like in Chicago is early spring, which is usually cold, windy and rainy. As far as the sub zero temps, it's not normal and it's supposed to be in the 40's here this weekend. I met someone that recently moved back to Chicago from LA. They were tired of the weather in SoCal and said they missed the change of seasons, Thunderstorms, real Winter, etc. so yeah, to each their own.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
San Diego weather is boring to me. Too much of the same weather all the time. Extreme cold keeps things varied. I like variety of weather.
For me being outside doing the things I love while being comfortable never gets boring, but that’s why we also have a place in the mountains for variety, mostly for my wife from NY. I can be in a completely differnent environment, one I don’t think most are aware of when they think of Southern California in under 2 hours. I can actually be in snow in under an hour in San Diego, but it’s not too frequent and they don’t have ski resorts like they do at my cabin. I’ve actually gotten to know a lot of people up there and many full time residents moved up there from LA/SD because of the four seasons, so I can appreciate how one could grow tired of the same thing.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
For me being outside doing the things I love while being comfortable never gets boring, but that’s why we also have a place in the mountains for variety, mostly for my wife from NY. I can be in a completely differnent environment, one I don’t think most are aware of when they think of Southern California in under 2 hours. I can actually be in snow in under an hour in San Diego, but it’s not too frequent and they don’t have ski resorts like they do at my cabin. I’ve actually gotten to know a lot of people up there and many full time residents moved up there from LA/SD because of the four seasons, so I can appreciate how one could grow tired of the same thing.
My husband is from SD and lives with me in NY now, so it's the reverse of you. He loves it out there in CA but came here for work. I've lived here my whole life. He likes it here too but he is worse with the cold than I am. I'm a native, it's in my blood. It really doesn't phase ya after a while

When you live in a place with 4 seasons, you can still do whatever you want to do, you just have to make some sacrifices. If I want to go for a run in the dead of winter, I just bundle up. If I want to go to the beach, I go to beach … granted it's cold, but I still go.

I do the same things I do all year round. It doesn't make a difference. We have ski slopes within 2 hours away. If I want to get away, it's 3 hours to FL & the Carribean by plane.

I don't need to live in a place that's warm all the time. I get bored. It's wonderful to be cold and have the summer to look forward to and then when summer ends, watch all the leaves change & fall, go get pumpkins and apples from the orchards. It's really wonderful.

Last edited by Jdawg8181; 01-30-2019 at 01:15 PM..

Old 01-30-2019, 01:11 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Quote:
I went to school in Michigan and never met one person that liked sub zero temperatures, not even the natives.

I don't mind them. But they're not all that bad. Certainly not something I want all winter long, but its nice to have those ruthless days that give you an excuse to stay home. (I had classes cancelled yesterday!) But how many people in Texas or Arizona love triple digit heat? Even I don't mind 100-105 if I'm at the swimming pool. My ideal year would involve one or two 100s in the summer, and a week of sub zero in the winter.

Old 01-30-2019, 01:14 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Quote:
You say that on here. I seriously doubt the talk around KC today is how it’s a nice -5. Like I said before, I never once heard anyone say they like sub zero temps when I was in school. Ok there was always that one guy who had to be different, but they were usually a bit off, or full of it just to get attention. If you genuinely enjoy it, which I really don’t believe, more power to you. You must be stoked right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q64MKxF-1w

Made this video earlier. Weather like this is is a fun novelty. And every July you'll see people in Phoenix uploading youtube videos of eggs frying on the sidewalk. I think I'll take the cold over that. Now if you excuse me, I'm gonna warm up my hot chocolate before I walk to work Maybe I'll drive if my car starts lol.

Old 01-30-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
My husband is from SD and lives with me in NY now, so it's the reverse of you. He loves it out there in CA but came here for work. I've lived here my whole life. He likes it here too but he is worse with the cold than I am. I'm a native, it's in my blood. It really doesn't phase ya after a while

When you live in a place with 4 seasons, you can still do whatever you want to do, you just have to make some sacrifices. If I want to go for a run in the dead of winter, I just bundle up. If I want to go to the beach, I go to beach … granted it's cold, but I still go.

I do the same things I do all year round. It doesn't make a difference. We have ski slopes within 2 hours away. If I want to get away, it's 3 hours to FL & the Carribean.

I don't need to live in a place that's warm all the time. I get bored. It's wonderful to be cold and have the summer to look forward to and then when summer ends, watch all the leaves change & fall, go get pumpkins and apples from the orchards. It's really wonderful.
Have you two ever discussed moving out here? I know home is where the heart is, but you just might like it, especially being as active as you sound. How can you know if you won’t like something if you haven’t experienced it? I honestly thought going to Michigan wouldn’t be anything what it ended up being like because I spent every other Chritsmas there, and a good chunk of my summers there growing up. I soon realized visiting and living somewhere full time are two completely different things. Winter wasn’t as fun when it lingered and I actually had to go to school and work during some really crummy weather.

I don’t think a lot of people realize Southern California has all four seasons too, it’s not Hawaii. My mom use to take use to the apple orchards in the fall to get cider and see the leaves change, and would take us to the same spot to play in the snow come winter. It was about 30 miles from where we lived 20 miles off the coast.

Old 01-30-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Have you two ever discussed moving out here? I know home is where the heart is, but you just might like it, especially being as active as you sound. How can you know if you won’t like something if you haven’t experienced it? I honestly thought going to Michigan wouldn’t be anything what it ended up being like because I spent every other Chritsmas there, and a good chunk of my summers there growing up. I soon realized visiting and living somewhere full time are two completely different things. Winter wasn’t as fun when it lingered and I actually had to go to school and work during some really crummy weather.

I don’t think a lot of people realize Southern California has all four seasons too, it’s not Hawaii. My mom use to take use to the apple orchards in the fall to get cider and see the leaves change, and would take us to the same spot to play in the snow come winter. It was about 30 miles from where we lived 20 miles off the coast.
Hell no. Never moving there. Never moving, period.

Last edited by Jdawg8181; 01-30-2019 at 01:31 PM..

Old 01-30-2019, 01:28 PM

12,833 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I don't mind them. But they're not all that bad. Certainly not something I want all winter long, but its nice to have those ruthless days that give you an excuse to stay home. (I had classes cancelled yesterday!) But how many people in Texas or Arizona love triple digit heat? Even I don't mind 100-105 if I'm at the swimming pool. My ideal year would involve one or two 100s in the summer, and a week of sub zero in the winter.
+1. My only drawback is when I'm not fully prepared walking the dog. That's when it can suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.