U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 08:14 AM

6,061 posts, read 3,392,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I'd say 10/20-4/20
It's October 20th now. It's in the 50s, reaching 70s. Half the trees are either green or just changing the other half are at peak with some bare. Wow... much winter. October is not winter. Not even close. Neither is November but it's far more like winter than October. Ditto with April.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
You finally made the move, huh?
Yes sir, I made the plunge and loving every minute of it Except the fact all my money is going to fix up my car lol I need new all season tires.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:54 AM

377 posts, read 202,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
It's October 20th now. It's in the 50s, reaching 70s. Half the trees are either green or just changing the other half are at peak with some bare. Wow... much winter. October is not winter. Not even close. Neither is November but it's far more like winter than October. Ditto with April.
Since you just moved to Minnesota, I'd hold off on commenting on the weather for the next several years. After all, this fall has been unseasonably warm in the eastern half of the country.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
Since you just moved to Minnesota, I'd hold off on commenting on the weather for the next several years. After all, this fall has been unseasonably warm in the eastern half of the country.
September has been unseasonably warm, downright hot. October has been more moderate. Warmer than average but not by a whole lot. I am aware of the weather patterns up here. I know when to expect ice and snow and I know October is not such a month. I know it can happen, but it's not long lasting like in winter that's for sure. Funny enough I am more cold hardy than at least two of my roommates. One of them has been commenting on how "cold" this fall is even though it's been above average. But they wear sweaters in the 60s, go figure. First year in MN or not, October is still fall. Truly seasons are defined by the calendar but even by weather standards, it's fall. Not saying it doesn't get cold here, not saying high of 70 is normal this late in the year, all's I am saying is the idea of October being winter already or even winterlike, especially by MN standards, is rubbish.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:16 AM

4,857 posts, read 2,991,404 times
Quote:
Yes sir, I made the plunge and loving every minute of it Except the fact all my money is going to fix up my car lol I need new all season tires.
Is your car FWD or AWD? If so, maybe not necessary.

Old 10-20-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Is your car FWD or AWD? If so, maybe not necessary.
FWD. I started fish tailing earlier this month in the rain so I know it's gonna need to be changed. It's mostly my back tires. My rear struts were dog sh*t for a while until I got them replaced and my rear tires are pretty bald. Fronts are okay though not great but the back ones are no bueno.

Old 10-20-2017, 03:31 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,991,404 times
Quote:
FWD. I started fish tailing earlier this month in the rain so I know it's gonna need to be changed. It's mostly my back tires. My rear struts were dog sh*t for a while until I got them replaced and my rear tires are pretty bald. Fronts are okay though not great but the back ones are no bueno.
Oh. Yeah in that case, get them replaced.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:02 AM

56,660 posts, read 80,973,859 times
Quote:
Same with Upstate NY in terms of current weather and winter.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:58 AM

6,586 posts, read 3,674,133 times
New Mexico's high desert area has four seasons. We have a dusting of snow on occasion that melts/evaporates in a few hours. Fall is gorgeous -- especially when the Aspens and Cottonwoods turn gold as they are now. Summer can get as hot as 100 degrees for a couple days in June but with low humidity it is not like other places. I've seen the humidity registered at 4% but 20-30% is more common. The heat won't get you but the sun will...almost always sunny and at 5,000 ft. it will scorch you if you are not prepared. Drink water, wear a hat. Monsoon season is usually a few weeks in July/August but always patchy. You might see rain every day but not get any. Spring starts early and stays late. We have a windy season for a few weeks in the spring - maybe three days a week with wind. Daytime temps in the winter and late fall are variable. You start off with a coat, switch to a jacket, then a sweater, then shirtsleeves and then go back again...eventually all your coats and jackets are riding around in the back seat of your car. This is desert/mountain geography so there are a lot of variations and micro-climates even in a relatively small area.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:23 AM

2,097 posts, read 3,421,914 times
I only know the New York City metro area and the Boston metro area. Lived in both places for many years. I would take Boston metro because I don't mind ice and snow and hate humidity which is what you unfortunately get in all over the metro New York area. (Not so out on the end of Long Island.) Boston's summers are generally much more pleasant. Warm but not nearly as humid. The spring and famous fall in the metro Boston and eastern Massachusetts area is still wonderful. In the NY metro area you will get less of that than in the Boston area. I don't mind, as I say, the ice and snow! I lived with it for decades and it was fine. Also, the temperatures are now getting to be warmer, on average, in both metro areas and that means a worse summer in NY than ever before. This is just how "I" feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or