U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 08:13 AM

6,053 posts, read 3,377,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
What baffles me is that the people who like Continental or Oceanic climates act like that is the norm, when the majority of the world's population lives in the tropics and subtropics
The majority of the world also lives in poverty with barely a dime to their name. Many live in countries with oppressive regimes.

Plus it's about perspective. The vast majority of the people on this forum are Americans, and the other large groups are Canadians and Europeans. Therefore, most of us on this forum live in temperate climates with seasonal variation. Malaysia and Indonesia may have more people but how many people from there are represented on this website?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 08:19 AM

18,909 posts, read 6,844,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
The majority of the world also lives in poverty with barely a dime to their name. Many live in countries with oppressive regimes.

Plus it's about perspective. The vast majority of the people on this forum are Americans, and the other large groups are Canadians and Europeans. Therefore, most of us on this forum live in temperate climates with seasonal variation. Malaysia and Indonesia may have more people but how many people from there are represented on this website?
I'm an American and I live in the subtropics (35 to 23 latitude), and I'm sure I'm not the only one

Old 10-26-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
There is something trendy almost 'hipsterish' to like cold climates these days in the USA. Especially online.

But as it's true for most likes. A lot of it is controlled by prevailing culture. In Russia for example, a lot of the people will claim they love hot climates, beaches and when they go to places like Thailand, they will lay out in the sun without sunscreen and get severe sun burn which they then bring back home as a badge of honor.

Whereas in a lot of Asian countries, the people hate heat, and avoid the sun like the plague. A lot of Chinese travel to Greece in December, as an example, and while this is to avoid the prices of high season, they also proudly say that avoiding the sun and heat is an added bonus. A friend of mine who AirBnBs his place in Santorini says he's booked solid through the cold/rainy season by Chinese tourists.

All of which can be explained by cultural norms that somehow made themselves widespread in the cultures.

There is nothing trendy or hipsters about liking the cold. I been wanting to live somewhere cold since I was 15 because I had realised there's a world outside Florida and I realised how much I hate hot weather and how much more enjoyable the cold is TO ME. It's not a trend I just love a change of seasons and guess what there's millions of people who do as well. For every Minnesotan who complains about winter there's many more who love the seasons up here and theres no shortage of people who look forward to break out the ice skates and snow mobiles in the winter. We all like different things. And listen to Christmas music that has been around for ages, it all has positive connotations with snow and winter. I think most people enjoy 4 seasons even though there's a vocal group that that hates the cold. A lot of native Minnesotans have told me they wouldn't move to Florida partly because its too hot all the time and they would miss the leaves and snow. Not everyone is infatuated with Florida or California weather. There's no place with 100% perfect weather. Even "perfect" San Diego reached 105 the other day. I like my seasons and cold weather and it ain't no trend.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:21 AM

4,839 posts, read 2,973,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerfilms View Post
there is nothing trendy or hipsters about liking the cold. I been wanting to live somewhere cold since i was 15 because i had realised there's a world outside florida and i realised how much i hate hot weather and how much more enjoyable the cold is to me. It's not a trend i just love a change of seasons and guess what there's millions of people who do as well. For every minnesotan who complains about winter there's many more who love the seasons up here and theres no shortage of people who look forward to break out the ice skates and snow mobiles in the winter. We all like different things. And listen to christmas music that has been around for ages, it all has positive connotations with snow and winter. I think most people enjoy 4 seasons even though there's a vocal group that that hates the cold. A lot of native minnesotans have told me they wouldn't move to florida partly because its too hot all the time and they would miss the leaves and snow. Not everyone is infatuated with florida or california weather. There's no place with 100% perfect weather. Even "perfect" san diego reached 105 the other day. I like my seasons and cold weather and it ain't no trend.
+1.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I'm an American and I live in the subtropics (35 to 23 latitude), and I'm sure I'm not the only one
You live in Arizona. That's a furnace that doesn't represent most the country. And latitudes in the 30s are for the most part temperate even if subtropical. Most of the deep south north of Florida, South Georgia, and the gulf coastal plain experiences continental influences in their climate with guaranteed freezes and usually an annual snowfall. Most Americans live where it snows at least once a year.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Honey, I'm not flipped out. I'm just stating that I think the weather here this fall has been and continues to be gorgeous. You don't like it, I do. OK. I'm glad you don't live here and glad that I do. Like I said, everyone wins!

And yes, I do consider myself a Texan - thanks for the compliment. Though I do hail from a place that's consistently hotter and muggier than East Texas ever could even dream of being - New Orleans. Laissez les bon temps rouler! Now THERE'S a place with no significant winter. Four seasons - Summer, Still Summer, Almost Mardi Gras, and Mardi Gras.

By the way, it's 49 degrees right now. Here's a picture from last night (to be repeated many, many times over the next 7 or 8 months):
You are exhausting, yet hilarious. I'm happy, you're happy, let's leave it at that.

FYI on the campfire deal, you realize probably 90% of the country can do this right now? It's not unique to Tyler.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:27 AM

377 posts, read 201,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
There is nothing trendy or hipsters about liking the cold. I been wanting to live somewhere cold since I was 15 because I had realised there's a world outside Florida and I realised how much I hate hot weather and how much more enjoyable the cold is TO ME. It's not a trend I just love a change of seasons and guess what there's millions of people who do as well. For every Minnesotan who complains about winter there's many more who love the seasons up here and theres no shortage of people who look forward to break out the ice skates and snow mobiles in the winter. We all like different things. And listen to Christmas music that has been around for ages, it all has positive connotations with snow and winter. I think most people enjoy 4 seasons even though there's a vocal group that that hates the cold. A lot of native Minnesotans have told me they wouldn't move to Florida partly because its too hot all the time and they would miss the leaves and snow. Not everyone is infatuated with Florida or California weather. There's no place with 100% perfect weather. Even "perfect" San Diego reached 105 the other day. I like my seasons and cold weather and it ain't no trend.
A lot of what people like is culturally influenced. Everything from music to food, and even type of activities to the weather. The whole point of my above post was giving an example between two cultures, one where people seem to be predisposed to liking heat and the other to hating it.

You were not mentioned anywhere. Nor were you in my mind when I wrote it. No idea why you're taking it so personally.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
There is something trendy almost 'hipsterish' to like cold climates these days in the USA. Especially online.

But as it's true for most likes. A lot of it is controlled by prevailing culture. In Russia for example, a lot of the people will claim they love hot climates, beaches and when they go to places like Thailand, they will lay out in the sun without sunscreen and get severe sun burn which they then bring back home as a badge of honor.

Whereas in a lot of Asian countries, the people hate heat, and avoid the sun like the plague. A lot of Chinese travel to Greece in December, as an example, and while this is to avoid the prices of high season, they also proudly say that avoiding the sun and heat is an added bonus. A friend of mine who AirBnBs his place in Santorini says he's booked solid through the cold/rainy season by Chinese tourists.

All of which can be explained by cultural norms that somehow made themselves widespread in the cultures.
Hipsters tend to like coffee shops. Coffee in cold weather is great.

Unfortunately, the Chinese culture, like many minority cultures, value light skin.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:27 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,136,059 times
Folks will mention Colorado. I was born here and this is where I've spent the majority of my life. We honestly don't experience the traditional "4 seasons". Our climate is VERY extreme. Example: We are now in "Fall". Here is a typical fall along the Front Range. Yesterday it was 80 degrees in Colorado Springs. We had our high today of 60 at 5am. The temperature is falling currently. By this afternoon's rush it is supposed to get down in the 30s with high winds and snow through the weekend. Then maybe back 60 by Sunday.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
A lot of what people like is culturally influenced. Everything from music to food, and even type of activities to the weather. The whole point of my above post was giving an example between two cultures, one where people seem to be predisposed to liking heat and the other to hating it.

You were not mentioned anywhere. Nor were you in my mind when I wrote it. No idea why you're taking it so personally.
You're implying that most people who love cold weather do so cuz it's a trend or they're hipsters which is just dumb I do agree that culture plays a part of it. For example the great holidays in fall and winter are one big reason I love those seasons but they're not the only. I grew up in South Florida though where supposedly we are supposed to be all into tropical weather and going to the beach all the time. I like the beach in the summer but that's about it. The culture I grew up in does not reflect my preferences for climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or