Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 01:24 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
So you think winter stretches from Halloween to Easter?

I can't even take that seriously. Have you even been here during those months?
I grew up in NY and where I lived, that was the window for snow and freezes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 01:51 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
^Id say Thanksgiving to mid March, give or take. It may snow around Halloween, but it is rare and it is more slushy than anything.

In recent years, there seems to be alternating or more frequently milder winters outside of snow belts, where it might not be until late December when snow really comes down or it may be a few bursts of heavy snow and that’s it.

Old 10-07-2017, 01:56 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I grew up in NY and where I lived, that was the window for snow and freezes
And the window for 80 degrees is late March to early October, does that also qualify for six months of summer?

Old 10-07-2017, 03:58 PM

340 posts, read 266,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Pretty Good list.
OP, how much cold and snow are you looking for specifically? Do you want enough that kids can build a snowman or go sledding every weekend for a few months? Enough for skiing and snowmobiles? Cold enough that you can go ice fishing or skating on the rivers and ponds?
Or do you want just enough to get an occasional snow that looks pretty but is gone in a few days or hours, maybe you can have a snowball fight or two, and a day or two of sledding if you're lucky? That last one, that's what we get here in the tri-cities of TN. *We get bonus points for being within reasonable distance of a couple of ski resorts, lol. Temps rarely go over 90F or down into single digits.
Which states would I go to for either of them?

Old 10-07-2017, 04:08 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob1 View Post
Which states would I go to for either of them?
Well, if you want the 4seasons lite that we have here the list Kyle made is pretty much on spot. If you want more snow you can head on in to IN and KY, if you want the ice fishing and such go looking into MI, WI, MN in the midwest. The northeastern and western states I'll leave to someone else to deliver on since I'm not familiar with those.

Old 10-07-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
And the window for 80 degrees is late March to early October, does that also qualify for six months of summer?
Not really, because snow and freezes stick out more than an occasional warm spell, and can do more damage to newly budding flowers and trees

The trees didn't really leaf out until early May where I grew up

Old 10-07-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Not really, because snow and freezes stick out more than an occasional warm spell, and can do more damage to newly budding flowers and trees

The trees didn't really leaf out until early May where I grew up
I am confused. So the occasional freeze takes precedence over the occasional heat?

The reality is that outside of late Nov - early March, freezes and snow are rare.

Old 10-07-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
I am confused. So the occasional freeze takes precedence over the occasional heat?

The reality is that outside of late Nov - early March, freezes and snow are rare.
They can still kill newly blooming trees and flowers

Old 10-07-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
They can still kill newly blooming trees and flowers
Sure. But 6 months? That's an extreme stretch. Winter is the only season in MN that you can guarantee will be at least 3 months long. In an off year it will be longer. A 6-monther may happen once a century, but are far from the norm.

Old 10-07-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Sure. But 6 months? That's an extreme stretch. Winter is the only season in MN that you can guarantee will be at least 3 months long. In an off year it will be longer. A 6-monther may happen once a century, but are far from the norm.
The winter of 2000-2001 lasted 5 months in Upstate NY, turned cold right around 11/10 and didn't warm up for a good stretch until early April. We had one of our coldest December's on record and a cold and snowy March that didn't hit 50° once (which is rare for March in NYS)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.