Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 10:24 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,480,739 times

Advertisements

What is/are your favorite National Park(s) and why?

What parks have you been to?

Which ones would you like to visit and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2006, 11:08 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Yellowstone is simply gorgeous and my fave by far!

Ive been to Banff, Smoky Mountain, Bryce Canyon, Zion, Grand Canyon, Rocky Mountain, Petrified Forest, Redwood, Mammoth Cave, Badlands, Grand Teton.

Id love to visit Acadia and Yosemite. Perhaps Isle Royale as well.

Old 12-08-2006, 01:24 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,113,260 times
Mt favorite is Zion. Shenandoah is a close second.

I've been to almost every park in the contiguous United States.Travelling to the National Parks was sort of a hobby for our family when I was young. I've not been to Acadia nor the Dry Tortugas. Would love to travel to Alsaka someday as well!

Old 12-08-2006, 01:41 PM
DBM

92 posts, read 494,988 times
Favorite is Grand Teton, for sheer beauty. Second is Olympic, for the accessible wilderness.

Least impressive: tie -- Teddy Roosevelt and Wind Cave. Both OK, but not up to the others' standards.

Where I've been: Haleakala, Olympic, Rainier, North Cascades, Crater Lake, Redwoods, Yosemite, Glacier, Yellowstone, Tetons, Grand Canyon, Wind Cave, Teddy Roosevelt, Badlands, Great Smoky Mtns., Carlsbad, and Shenendoah.

Where I want to go: The Southern Utah Parks (Arches, Zion, etc.). Again, for sheer beauty.

Old 12-08-2006, 01:47 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,236,146 times
Oh, too many to name much less decide on a favorite but I guess one of my favorites would be Crater Lake because it has the bluest water I've ever seen. For hiking, that park around Durango/Cortez, Colorado, Mesa Verde is interesting because of the ancient ruins. Mt. St. Helens in Washington State is fun to watch just because you don't know when or what to expect.

Old 12-08-2006, 02:14 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Mesa Verde is incredible.
Dry Tortugas in Florida is scenic, Everglades are cool but they need to take better care of them.

I saw my first snow at Yosemite.

Have been to others people have mentioned.

Absolute favorite is the Great Sand Dunes in southwest Colorado. In late May the water runs through and the huge sand dunes are simply magnificent. Dogs are allowed, children can splash in the shallow water, bigger kids can hike up the dunes. It never feels crowded there. It is truly a wonderful park.

http://www.nps.gov/grsa/index.htm

Old 12-08-2006, 03:00 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
i always liked the Everglades, and would have enjoyed living in the wetlands. Unfortunately the people moving to Florida hate the natural environment and had it filled in, bulldozed and reconfigured. The isolated Everglades ecosystem suffers because of greed and government stupidity. All that remains is what's protected, and it's basically off limits for more than just a walk around or a look.

Old 12-08-2006, 04:39 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,095,750 times
I love the national parks and just wish more money would be allocated to keeping them up for the next generations! It would be really difficult to choose just one favorite, but being in the south, I love my Smokies. However, I cried the first time I saw Crater Lake - I was awestruck. And I could spend days at the Mesa Verde. We've been to a bunch more out west but when we were in the Keys and had reservations to go to the Dry Tortugas, the boat had a mechanical failure and we never got there. Maybe one day.

Old 12-08-2006, 07:27 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,480,739 times
My favorite has to be the Grand Canyon-North Rim! It's funny to drive through the desert and come to something that looks like an Alpine forest only to pull up in the parking lot to see this big gaping hole in the ground! I can only imagine what settlers long ago might of thought as to how to get around this thing!

Cumberland Gap, Smokie Mountains, Petrified Forest (weird place-it looks if though you're on the moon!) Saguaro-love the big catcuses.

I'd like to visit Kobuk Valley-it's a remote park in Alaska with the desert! Also like to see Crater Lake because looking at pictures piques my interest to visit. Glacier National Park is another must-do for me because i'd like to drive that famous road in the park!

Old 12-09-2006, 01:57 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Default National Parks

I would have to say Yellowstone is my favorite, since it has such a variety of cool things to see... geysers, the "Grand Canyon of Yellowstone," wildlife, those salt ponds (?), etc., make it really awesome! We spent about 7 hours there, and didn't even cover a portion - just saw the main sites on the Wyoming side. I also love Yosemite, but mainly because I went to summer camp there as a kid... so it's more of a sentimental thing, I guess.

I've driven past a bunch, but have only actually gone through some of them! So far Yellowstone, Yosemite, Redwood, Grand Canyon, Grand Teton, Hawaii Volcanoes, and Haleakala (didn't make it all the way up, though ). I may have sailed through Glacier Bay as well, but I'm not 100% of which Glaciers they were.

I would honestly like to see EVERY National Park, but that probably won't happen! I really want to see the Parks in Utah, like Zion, Arches, & Bryce Canyon... tried to plan a road trip this year, but it didn't work out. So maybe if there's time in '07, I'll head out there! I'd also love to visit Glacier NP in Montana, the MT side of Yellowstone, Crater Lake, Death Valley, Joshua Tree, Saguaro, Petrified Forest, Badlands, and Everglades. Like I said, basically every one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.