Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 08:48 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,782,851 times

Advertisements

You are a travel agent abroad (outside North America). You have organized the

SEE AND UNDERSTAND AMERICA GRAND TOUR

Your tour will include only FIVE U.S. CITIES

These cities have been chosen by you because they are the five to give someone the best understanding of what the United States is all about. There are no other criteria.

List your five cities and for each give commentary as to why each helps gain an understanding of what the US is all about..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 10:18 AM

101 posts, read 90,864 times
1. Houston/Galveston --- No Tourists so you see the real America.
2. DFW Metroplex --- Generica with a Texas Twang.
3. Orlando/Vegas --- Depending on the group that's going (nightlife oriented vs family oriented)
4. San Fransicko Bay Area --- To see the madness that is the left.
5. Washington D.C. --- The Great Parisite

Old 10-05-2017, 11:40 AM

2,439 posts, read 4,812,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedean1878 View Post
1. Houston/Galveston --- No Tourists so you see the real America.
2. DFW Metroplex --- Generica with a Texas Twang.
3. Orlando/Vegas --- Depending on the group that's going (nightlife oriented vs family oriented)
4. San Fransicko Bay Area --- To see the madness that is the left.
5. Washington D.C. --- The Great Parisite
Mud in your eye, dixie!

A more reasonable list:

1. Washington
2. New York
3. Los Angeles
4. Chicago
5. Miami? Houston? S.F.? I don't know.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:05 PM

14,801 posts, read 17,603,995 times
Boston, NYC, DC, Chicago and SF.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:09 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,864,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Great list, maybe the best one anyone could come up with, although I could see including LA, and perhaps leaving out Boston or DC...

Houston? Dallas? Galveston? A colossal waste of time.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:09 PM

37,822 posts, read 41,636,373 times
Quote:
So a "See and Understand America" tour would only include the coasts + Chicago?

Old 10-05-2017, 12:32 PM

461 posts, read 859,150 times
Great question! Love it!

These cities have been chosen by you because they are the five to give someone the best understanding of what the United States is all about. There are no other criteria.

If the above is the true criteria, then it would be fun to put together many packages for your travelers. Couldn't cover and explain the USA with 5 of its cities, but could definitely try to give a sample. I am going to cheat just a tiny bit and choose 2 or 3 representatives (big and small cities) from the 4 major subregions of the USA for both city lovers and natural wonders:

Northeast
#1 NYC - what a better introduction to the US other than our biggest and most diverse city that is alive 24/7 and represented in movies, music, etc. It represents the diversity of the USA and also the abilities of man, his skyscrapers/infrastructure, and his creations with incorporation of central park and nature.
(OR)
# 2 Washington DC - our nation's capital and cultural opportunities abound. Represents our government, our diversity again, importance to education, and great monuments/museums for tourists.
(AND)
Portland, ME - see the American lobster fisherman catch his bounty in some of the most beautiful cliffs of the eastern seaboard

Midwest
#1 Chicago - another major representation of the USA and the midwest. The grittiness, the metal, the history of slaughterhouses, the architecture, the taming of the river (to make it run in reverse), the food, baseball are all very representative of the USA in my mind. May not want to pick this one if picked #1 or #2 from the above as you may have gotten your fill of large cities.
(OR)
# 2 Kansas City - again, very representative of the midwest in my mind with barbecue, blues, beer, baseball, progressive gigabit internet, walkability, etc. Runner ups St. Louis and Cleveland/Cincinnati
(AND)
Green Bay, WI - visit to Lambeau field and eat some cheese curds in small town America. Runner Ups: visit the lakes of Missouri

South (very tough category)
# 1 Miami - I think a must see of our melting pot of South American, Caribbean, African cultures. Beautiful beaches. Great food. Interesting nightlife.
(OR)
#2 Atlanta - stronghold of CNN, Coke, African American culture, great foods, and a wonderful city with progressive bike route around town.
(OR)
#3 New Orleans - history, Creole culture and food, jazz/music, southern culture
(AND)
Hot Springs, AK - this is where Bill Clinton is from; every tourist knows Bill! Runner up, Savannah, GA

(I realize I left TX out! I can't decide! But a tourist must definitely visit Texas!)

West (very very tough category)
#1 San Diego - tourist friendly, relaxing, beautiful beaches, great Mexican food, surfer culture
(OR)
#2 San Francisco - tourist friendly, can be relaxing or upbeat, large city, close to wine culture of America, tech culture, diversity
(AND)
#3 Seattle - port city, nothing like the Sound, Mt. Rainier close by, trips out the San Juans, Microsoft/Boeing/Amazon
(OR)
#4 Portland - a friendlier and smaller version of Seattle and PNW culture, weird/quirky, beer central
(AND)
Anchorage, AK or Honolulu, HI - to show the extent of the US empire and the vast geographies that the country commands

Whew! Hope the OP isn't offended by my quick, superficial analysis with some cheating!

Old 10-05-2017, 12:32 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,233,824 times
1) Bay Area or LA

Covers West Coast/ California/ Hollywood or Silicon Valley

2) Denver

Covers the Mountain West/ Great plains. New clean city that is thriving.

3) Columbus

Covers generic America as well as about anywhere.

I would like to add a southern city, but they are either 1) too regional and unique (NOLA, Charleston, Savannah ) or 2) they are like Dallas,Houston and Atlanta in that they are fairly "typical American" but not as much so as Columbus.

4) Chicago

Covers the big city while being more typical American than NYC

5) Baltimore

Gives you the east coast, but also has some rustbelt/ post industrial elements.

Another option would be to pick 4 very unique cities like Boston, San Francisco, NOLA, NYC + a more "All American" type city to fill out the 5th spot.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:34 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,858,790 times
Quote:
This.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:41 PM

18,502 posts, read 15,421,272 times
1) NYC come on it's NYC !

2) LA just to get their false notion about Hollywood out of their system and see that LA does have some " higher culture "

3) Phoenix, not so much the city but the area up to the Grand Canyon etc

4) Austin

5) Miami
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.