U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2018, 12:08 PM

5,627 posts, read 4,009,880 times

Advertisements

PHX's zoo is meh, and we don't have an amusement park other than Castles N Coasters. Its lame. Google it if you dare.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 05:34 PM

346 posts, read 172,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusco View Post
Vermont, New Hampshire, and Wyoming are the only three states with no zoos at all.
The most logical place to put a zoo (Akron Zoo sized of course) in Wyoming is Casper. Because while the state capital Cheyenne is only an hour and a half from the Denver Zoo, Casper is 4 hours away from Denver Zoo, ZooMontana, and Reptile Gardens.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:20 PM

219 posts, read 169,909 times
I know it's been mentioned several times that Cleveland is less than an hour from Cedar Point (and Sandusky is in the CSA), but the city (well the suburb of Brooklyn right on the border of Cleveland) has the Memphis Kiddie Park. This is joking, but it does have the Little Dipper and its 10 foot hill, but it is said to be the oldest operating steel coaster in North America. I grew up five minutes from there, so have plenty of fond memories of the place (and the old Memphis Drive-In across the street).

Metro Cleveland at one time had three amusement parks ... Geauga Lake (plus there was SeaWorld on the other side of the lake), Euclid Beach Park and Chippewa Lake. The first two closed before I was born, too bad Geauga Lake and SeaWorld didn't make it as those were two more places of my youth, but Cedar Point more than makes up for it. It's been about 10 years, but for years me and a some friends bought season passes. I remember plenty of times leaving the westside of Cleveland at 5 p.m. on a weeknight, getting to the park by 6 and getting 6-7 rides in before it closed before heading back.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:51 PM

456 posts, read 810,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Thanks everyone for reminding me how spoiled I was growing up in between Cedar Point, the Toledo Zoo and the Columbus Zoo. The best amusement park in America and two of the best zoos.

Ohio knows how to do zoos.

#1 Toledo
#3 Cincinnati
#5 Columbus

Best US Zoos: 10Best Readers' Choice Travel Awards
While I am happy to see St. Louis on this list (which it does normally rank well), this is voted on by the zoo users. I am not sure how unbiased they can be.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:59 PM

Hawaii has two zoos, one in Honolulu (Ohau) and the other one is in Hilo (Big Island). There's also a farm park on the Maui island. Hawaii has alot of aquariums with the two main aquariums being Waikiki Aquarium (Ohau) and the Maui Ocean Center. Ohau also has Sea Life Park which is like a mini Sea World. The biggest aquarium on the big island is in the Mokupapapa Discovery Center in Hilo. Hawaii's only water park is the Wet'n'Wild Hawaii in Ohau. Hawaii currently doesn't have any amusement parks though I don't it want to have anything bigger than West Virginia's Camden Park.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:23 PM

While the whole Pacific Northwest currently lacks a major theme park. Oregon has two amusement parks with roller coasters. Oaks Amusement Park in Portland and Enchanted Forest in Turner (just southeast of Salem). Oregon has one major zoo in Portland simply called the Oregon Zoo. There's also independent zoos in Eugene, Cave Junction, Canby, Bandon, and Winston.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:05 PM

3,861 posts, read 1,627,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
May I suppose Orlando would be bad guess?
lol, For sure!

Old 02-20-2019, 08:28 AM

1,794 posts, read 2,172,953 times
The City of Detroit operated 2 zoos from 1928 to 2002. The smaller of the two, the Belle Isle Zoo, was closed in 2002 for budgetary reasons and is vacant and decaying

VACANT Belle Isle Zoo

Old 02-20-2019, 10:07 AM

5,656 posts, read 6,158,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCityMike View Post
While I am happy to see St. Louis on this list (which it does normally rank well), this is voted on by the zoo users. I am not sure how unbiased they can be.
The Memphis zoo isn't world class at all. I don't think it should be on the list

Old 02-20-2019, 11:21 AM

1,263 posts, read 538,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
The Memphis zoo isn't world class at all. I don't think it should be on the list
Yeah that reader poll is a bit bogus. The San Diego zoo is #10, and the Bronx zoo isnít even on the list. Kinda hard to take it serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or