U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 04:33 PM

956 posts, read 1,773,628 times

Advertisements

I know Wichita, KS used to have an amusement park, but no longer does. Oddly enough(and apologies to anyone from Wichita reading this thread), I'm forgetting the name of it at the moment. I feel bad about that, but maybe I'll remember the name later? And as for Geauga Lake, the water park half of that park operated till the end of 2016, when Cedar Fair(parent company that ran this park, and also other ones like King's Dominion in Virginia, Cedar Point in Sandusky, etc) suddenly chose to shut down that water park.

The Chicago area used to have several, btw. Kiddieland in Melrose Park closed after I believe the 2009 season(RIP), and Riverview Park used to operate at Belmont and Western until the end of the 1967 season I believe. I think there are a few others, I'm forgetting. Santa's Village in West Dundee, IL reopened as Santa's Village AZOOSment Park, or under some new weird name like that. Don't know how the new one there compares today, to the original Santa's Village park I once went to years ago. And of course, the main one our area has is Six Flags Great America, in Gurnee.

I think neither Milwaukee or Detroit have any amusement parks, in their metro area. But correct me if I'm wrong. I'm less sure about zoos, so no comment there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 04:56 PM

57 posts, read 53,185 times
Biloxi currently has no zoo or amusement park, though these people want to change the latter.

Biloxi panel tables rezoning around Margaritaville | The Sun Herald

Last edited by TTG2020; 10-18-2017 at 05:06 PM..

Old 10-18-2017, 05:01 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,011,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I know Wichita, KS used to have an amusement park, but no longer does. Oddly enough(and apologies to anyone from Wichita reading this thread), I'm forgetting the name of it at the moment. I feel bad about that, but maybe I'll remember the name later? And as for Geauga Lake, the water park half of that park operated till the end of 2016, when Cedar Fair(parent company that ran this park, and also other ones like King's Dominion in Virginia, Cedar Point in Sandusky, etc) suddenly chose to shut down that water park.

The Chicago area used to have several, btw. Kiddieland in Melrose Park closed after I believe the 2009 season(RIP), and Riverview Park used to operate at Belmont and Western until the end of the 1967 season I believe. I think there are a few others, I'm forgetting. Santa's Village in West Dundee, IL reopened as Santa's Village AZOOSment Park, or under some new weird name like that. Don't know how the new one there compares today, to the original Santa's Village park I once went to years ago. And of course, the main one our area has is Six Flags Great America, in Gurnee.

I think neither Milwaukee or Detroit have any amusement parks, in their metro area. But correct me if I'm wrong. I'm less sure about zoos, so no comment there.
Milwaukee has a great zoo, but no amusement park. Six Flags Great America is very close, though...just over the border in IL.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
The previous poster gave the answer on Milwaukee. Detroit has its own zoo, is only two hours from a super park (Cedar Point), and the Detroit area has multiple indoor amusement parks for children.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:38 PM

499 posts, read 679,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Does Austin have an amusement park? Closest one I can think of is in New Braunfels, which I associate more closely to San Antonio.
New Braunfels has Schlitterbahn Water Park, San Antonio has Six Flags and Sea World.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:21 AM

Austin has multiple indoor amusement parks for children and will be getting a Kalahari indoor water park in 2020 (it's going to be the first Kalahari that will be in a large city instead of a tourist town), though it doesn't have anything comparable to a Six Flags park. Austin does have a zoo which I posted a link to its website earlier in the topic. Austin is also only an hour from San Antonio.

Last edited by TTG2020; 10-20-2017 at 09:29 AM..

Old 10-20-2017, 11:27 AM

29,871 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
The largest walk-through zoo in the world is less than two hours from Charlotte, so there's really no reason for the city to build something that would compete with it. I'm not terribly surprised that Las Vegas doesn't have a zoo because it isn't really a place people go to see animals. I am surprised that Austin doesn't have one though.
And there's a great zoo even closer than that.

Old 10-20-2017, 12:14 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,442,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Milwaukee has a great zoo, but no amusement park. Six Flags Great America is very close, though...just over the border in IL.
Yes it is!

Old 10-21-2017, 10:12 AM

3,819 posts, read 5,199,603 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG2020 View Post
The previous poster gave the answer on Milwaukee. Detroit has its own zoo, is only two hours from a super park (Cedar Point), and the Detroit area has multiple indoor amusement parks for children.
Over the years, Detroit has had amusement parks. Boblo Island, which was decent sized (no Cedar Point but multiple roller coasters) closed in the early 90s.

The closest thing to an amusement park within Metro Detroit is probably CJ Barrymore's. It is more of a go-kart, arcade type place, but they did install a small roller coaster a few years back.

Cedar Point is about 2 hours. Michigan's Adventure is about two and a half. Kings Island and Canada's Wonderland are both under 4 hours. Six Flags Great America is about 5 hours. We went to Kentucky Kingdom once, too, before Six Flags got it and tried to ruin it (glad it was saved!)

A bunch of defunct parks were within driving distance, too, up until the last 10-20 years. Our own Boblo, of course (which you had to take a ferry boat to since it was an island). Geagua Lake/Sea World (went there a few times before Six Flags ruined it), and Six Flags Autoworld in Flint (Six Flags only owned it for like a year but it was open off an on through the 80s and into the early 90s).

Hmmm.... I see a pattern. Maybe Six Flags should have to surrender their parks before the rest of them are decimated....

Old 10-21-2017, 10:16 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,160,209 times
Boston does not I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or