U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-06-2017, 07:25 AM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
396 posts, read 270,040 times
Reputation: 379

Advertisements

There is an interesting site called Freeways with No Future, and basically they are a group who advocate for removing or converting interstates and divided highways that are underutilized into green space or pedestrian-friendly avenues. This has brought to fruition various projects and concept projects throughout cities in the US.

Are there any in your city/metro that could be removed without affecting local or regional auto traffic? Also, is there any stretch of highway that could be put underground as a tunnel with major benefits to the surface, similar to what Boston did with the Big Dig?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-06-2017, 07:41 AM
 
56,500 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Reputation: 12480
I-81 : Home Page
https://www.dot.ny.gov/i81opportunities
https://www.cnu.org/highways-bouleva...ities/syracuse


There was talk of going with a tunnel: I-81 Independent Study


This project could reroute traffic to I-481 around the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2017, 08:19 AM
 
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
18,907 posts, read 6,844,411 times
Reputation: 5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
There is an interesting site called Freeways with No Future, and basically they are a group who advocate for removing or converting interstates and divided highways that are underutilized into green space or pedestrian-friendly avenues. This has brought to fruition various projects and concept projects throughout cities in the US.

Are there any in your city/metro that could be removed without affecting local or regional auto traffic? Also, is there any stretch of highway that could be put underground as a tunnel with major benefits to the surface, similar to what Boston did with the Big Dig?
I know that Dallas is talking about removing unsigned I-345 without replacing it (a stub freeway that connects I-45 and US 75 in Downtown Dallas); but it would be a huge mistake as it will make traffic much worse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2017, 08:22 AM
 
Location: Denver
14,151 posts, read 19,745,723 times
Reputation: 8803
There are people who would love to remove the part of I-10 that goes over Claiborne Ave so it could be returned into a boulevard like it used to be. I love the idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2017, 08:46 AM
 
1,040 posts, read 518,884 times
Reputation: 1888
Houston is removing a section of I-45 west of downtown and rerouting the entire freeway to the east side of the CBD. There's some talk of utilizing the former Pierce Elevated as an elevated greenspace, but I'm not sure as to the status of that idea as of now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2017, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Denver
14,151 posts, read 19,745,723 times
Reputation: 8803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Houston is removing a section of I-45 west of downtown and rerouting the entire freeway to the east side of the CBD. There's some talk of utilizing the former Pierce Elevated as an elevated greenspace, but I'm not sure as to the status of that idea as of now.
Oh about time. Are they going to merge it with 59? There's no room for a whole new freeway over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2017, 12:16 PM
 
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
18,907 posts, read 6,844,411 times
Reputation: 5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Oh about time. Are they going to merge it with 59? There's no room for a whole new freeway over there.
Yes, from what I've read, it will be co-signed with 10 from the North Freeway to the Eastex Freeway, and co-signed with 59 from the East Freeway to the Gulf Freeway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2017, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Denver
14,151 posts, read 19,745,723 times
Reputation: 8803
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Yes, from what I've read, it will be co-signed with 10 from the North Freeway to the Eastex Freeway, and co-signed with 59 from the East Freeway to the Gulf Freeway
There's good to hear. A green way on 45 itself would be pretty cool. Something like NYCs high line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2017, 02:31 PM
 
1,290 posts, read 1,123,469 times
Reputation: 2152
Lake Shore Drive in Chicago always struck me as pretty disruptive to the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2017, 04:19 PM
 
1,987 posts, read 1,234,516 times
Reputation: 2216
Dallas has plenty that need to be removed, but the most important one is the 75/I-45 connection known as "I-345." It separates Downtown from Deep Ellum.

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/01...rgets-highway/

In 2016, TXDOT released a study dubbed "CityMAP" that analyzed removing, re-rerouting, or maintaining highways in and around Dallas's urban core along with the pros & cons for each. It was the first study of its kind.

DALLASCITYMAP.COM

I think I-30 should be re-rerouted to better connect Downtown with the Cedars and perhaps sink I-35 to somewhat better connect the Design District with Victory Park. Both are pretty tricky to do, so I think I-345 will be the first to go if any are to be removed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top