U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 01:59 AM

20 posts, read 41,030 times

Advertisements

Firstly l have to say that my English is very bad! l will come to America on May to improve my English. l don't know where will l stay, which school to go.. l want to go to a univercity's "English is A Second Language" programme. l have to find a job and work part time. l am a lawyer in Istanbul. But l am new at my job, so money is a problem for me. What can l do? Could you help me please? Thank you..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 02:22 AM

263 posts, read 734,091 times
You'll have no problem. Already, I can tell you have a better comprehension of the English language than most people here, so you're already ahead of the game.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:37 AM

Dear OilPainter, thank you for your answer. Somebody say to me that "you must go to NY City". l really don't know what to do l have to find a part time job. And than l will find a univercity which it has "English is a Second Language Programme". Could you help me please? Have you got any suggestion for me?

Old 03-17-2008, 02:45 AM

As a lawyer who is new to the profession, do you know what the term "Avoid New York City like the plague" means? I would set myself up in Boston, and considering what type of law I specialized in, I would move to the appropriate location. We're always in need of lawyers in America my friend!

Old 03-17-2008, 03:00 AM

l won't work America as a lawyer. l only look for a part time job. The job maybe in a bookstore. l like the books. in America l will be a student. l haven't got working permit. l have a tourist visa for ten years. But if l will be a student in America, l can work part time. Have l expressed my situation? Did l use wrong words, sentences? l don't know. But l think you can understand what l want to say.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:21 AM

Your English is a little broken, but I'd say you were about 90% fluent, very legible. Sure, you can come to the U.S. and live just about anywhere. Some places are more expensive than others. We have, technically, entered an economic recession so unemployment is rising but it's not that bad actually. Cities with the largest Turkish populations are Miami, New York, Chicago and Los Angeles. I live in Los Angeles. This picture was taken yesterday
gatonegro

Old 03-17-2008, 03:30 AM

America is a big lake and l am a little pin. it will be very difficult

Old 03-17-2008, 03:32 AM

Istanbul is no small pond! How old are you and why would you come here? It will be a difficult transition either way.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:37 AM

When I talk to people in, say Croatia at this time of day, they are ready to go to lunch. However, in L. A., it is 2:38 in the morning and I need my beauty rest. I'll check up on you tommorrow, good luck!

Old 03-17-2008, 03:40 AM

..and if your real name is paranoid android, you're not going to have a good time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.