U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 12:11 PM

2,836 posts, read 1,318,119 times

Advertisements

KC, much more urban than I expected with several really cool neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 06:56 PM

6,072 posts, read 3,402,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Minneapolis - No idea what I was expecting. Upon arriving, I saw lots of greenery/trees, parks, people out biking/jogging, cool neighborhoods. It's one of my favorite cities in the country.
I researched the Twin Cities a lot before visiting and moving up here so that stuff about Minneapolis didn't surprise me. I am however, surprised about how rude and confrontational the homeless people here are! Also, I saw a bum in Saint Paul who was wheeping his willow... if you catch my drift. What has been seen cannot be unseen!

Old 10-12-2017, 09:00 PM

929 posts, read 297,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Lol damn, a ton of people dropping Denver here. It's one of those cities I'd like to visit and have heard nothing but great things about. This is interesting...
I really liked Denver- much better downtown vibe than Seattle and Portland, OR (two cities it often seems to be compared to). I like all three from a regional standpoint. But Portland itself wasn't close to being what it has cracked up to be and downtown Seattle was shockingly no more alive than say, Hartford, CT after dark.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:23 AM

5,122 posts, read 3,894,379 times
Baltimore. I was supposed to go with a friend, but she backed out last minute because her friends told her we'd be mugged or something. I also have another friend who has family in the area and she'd always be on her horse going on about how awful it is. Literally trying to make me afraid of it.

I decided to visit for myself and I'm glad I did. Baltimore has a huge abundance of brick, which I think I like more than I know. I saw a lot of great adaptive reuse and it was surprisingly busy, especially for a Sunday afternoon. What was probably most surprising was the number of young people and couples walking dogs, going on runs, lounging around, etc. I didn't expect that demographic. Everyone makes it seem like one giant ghetto with an aquarium.

Federal Hill Park is a great, relaxing park and the view is spectacular, and the Federal Hill neighborhood was impressive with it's walkablity and food. Inner Harbor is a tourist trap, but it was still impressive compared to the plenty other traps I've seen. I ventured down Boston Ave and was impressed with Fells Point, Harbor East, Canton etc. I've visited a few times and it's definitely underrated to me.

I know the city still has it's issues and I hope it works them out (I saw a bike with both tires and the seat stolen), but calling the city one giant ghetto hellhole is just untrue and unfair. The ones who criticize cities the hardest are the ones who never visit anyway unless it's to a pro game.

Last edited by Jandrew5; 10-13-2017 at 12:32 AM..

Old 10-13-2017, 01:34 AM

11,456 posts, read 6,611,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Baltimore. I was supposed to go with a friend, but she backed out last minute because her friends told her we'd be mugged or something. I also have another friend who has family in the area and she'd always be on her horse going on about how awful it is. Literally trying to make me afraid of it.

I decided to visit for myself and I'm glad I did. Baltimore has a huge abundance of brick, which I think I like more than I know. I saw a lot of great adaptive reuse and it was surprisingly busy, especially for a Sunday afternoon. What was probably most surprising was the number of young people and couples walking dogs, going on runs, lounging around, etc. I didn't expect that demographic. Everyone makes it seem like one giant ghetto with an aquarium.

Federal Hill Park is a great, relaxing park and the view is spectacular, and the Federal Hill neighborhood was impressive with it's walkablity and food. Inner Harbor is a tourist trap, but it was still impressive compared to the plenty other traps I've seen. I ventured down Boston Ave and was impressed with Fells Point, Harbor East, Canton etc. I've visited a few times and it's definitely underrated to me.

I know the city still has it's issues and I hope it works them out (I saw a bike with both tires and the seat stolen), but calling the city one giant ghetto hellhole is just untrue and unfair. The ones who criticize cities the hardest are the ones who never visit anyway unless it's to a pro game.
Yeah you really have to take suburbanites' opinions with a grain of salt when they say things like that

Old 10-13-2017, 03:19 AM

13,423 posts, read 16,991,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenBronco8 View Post
I don't understand where people get that idea either. There is no place in the mountains that could support a 3 million metro. I guess the Broncos play in the mountains too, and all our stadiums are tucked away in a nice little mountain setting..
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I always thought Denver seemed to be presented as being in the mountains. Not sure why, but that was always the impression I got.
Maybe because of this?
Attached Thumbnails
What city is least like you expected it would be?-img_5885.jpg  

Old 10-13-2017, 04:38 AM

1,191 posts, read 481,946 times
San Francisco (and parts of LA) being hilly was not a surprise (and it won't be when I explore Pittsburgh and Seattle), but it has been a surprise for other cities I've visited. Atlanta, Richmond VA, Burlington VT, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Jefferson City MO, Tallahassee, parts of San Diego, Columbia SC, and Nashville were unexpectedly so.

Tallahassee was a particular surprise given it's in Florida.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:51 AM

1,191 posts, read 481,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambon View Post
This^^. LA away from the beaches is very underwhelming. It just isn't a well built environment. The natural environment is all that LA has going for it, and even that is really polluted. The LA area beach cities are really great though.
Yup. LA has some world class museums, attractions, and cuisine plus some really nice beaches. It's also smoggy, dirty, unbelievably sprawling, and visually/architecturally lacking distinction. Was surprised to find the city as unappealing as I did.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:10 AM

929 posts, read 297,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Maybe because of this?
I don't think Denver surprised me; I knew always it was at the foot of the Rockies, and by no means in the Rockies. However, I was shocked the first time I drove there coming from Kansas, how little the whole eastern one/third (no itty bitty slither mind you) of the state reminds me of Colorado. Its just a continuation of Kansas.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:13 AM

3,199 posts, read 2,651,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Maybe because of this?
Yeah, I was going to post something like that too. All the camera shots get the snow capped mountains (and happen to miss the grass clump plains ). Even being a CO Springs native moving to Denver, it shocked me how far away the mountains are, because I had assumed a front range city would have them as close by.

Denver definitely is overrated. Back in the day, it was the one place where you could get a big city, a good job, a big airport, and access to the mountains. Now, a lot of other Rocky Mountain West cities are catching up. Denver continues to get better (better buildings, bike paths, events...) but getting more expensive and congested a lot faster than it is getting better.

My initial impression of it was 5/10 after moving. That's still my impression. It is a very liveable place that makes daily life nice, but there's just no big charm or draw in the neighbourhoods that makes me want to actually buy a house here. The neighbourhoods are either unaffordable or not attractive (with the majority being the latter).

For Los Angeles I was impressed by how cool and down to earth and friendly the people were, but the built environment seemed cheap and run down.

I echo thoughts on Minneapolis being clean and active. Most all of the big buildings downtown were neatly architected.

Washington DC really wowed me when I visited. Everything was so pretty and the whole core city felt like it was put together on purpose. It was more than just a building here or a garden there, it was the experience and history of everything together in one spot. Thanks people who live there (and Uncle Sam ) for spending the money to make it nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or