Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 09:16 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,894,660 times

Advertisements

So, I was right to believe that this forum generally overrates Denver?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 09:28 AM

760 posts, read 874,924 times
While I enjoy living here, I can honestly say Denver is overrated. The last good year I remember having here was back in 2013, and then after legalization, everything has just gotten more and more irritating. I still like living in this region though, as I can actively pursue all my hobbies. The city is meh, but everything around it is still OK.

It does kind of concern me that the buzz is already starting to slow down. For a few years, it seemed like everyone in the country was visiting Colorado, and then trying to move here after their first visit. But in my own world, I am seeing less people come out here, and the migration has really hit the brakes this year. Hopefully everyone moving here at the same time doesn't turn into everyone moving out at the same time (though some would like that).

Old 10-13-2017, 10:21 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,823,821 times
Madison, WI in 2005.

I visited Charleston, IL previously, and was utterly horrified by it. Its major thoroughfare looked like bad parts of Arkansas or Mississippi, with a tired-looking downtown consisting of neglected historic buildings, dusty storefronts, and parking lots. So, needless to say, I was very apprehensive about Madison. I somehow expected to it be quite similar, but I was willing to chance it. When I got there, my reaction was: "oh wow!!! " It looked and felt like a 400-year-old European town on a lake, only with wider roads and more cars. For a small-ish city, it was very pedestrian-friendly too; I walked everywhere the whole time. I loved it every minute there.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:24 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,634,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I mean, there are no positive comments on Denver in this thread, so I think it gets it's fair share of criticism.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:39 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,894,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I mean, there are no positive comments on Denver in this thread, so I think it gets it's fair share of criticism.
Except every other thread heaps the love on Denver.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:41 AM
Status: ""...I wrote it down, now I follow thru..."" (set 11 days ago)

5,749 posts, read 5,511,264 times
Quote:
Lol looks like it...

Old 10-13-2017, 12:00 PM

591 posts, read 814,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
I really liked Denver- much better downtown vibe than Seattle and Portland, OR (two cities it often seems to be compared to). I like all three from a regional standpoint. But Portland itself wasn't close to being what it has cracked up to be and downtown Seattle was shockingly no more alive than say, Hartford, CT after dark.
Seattle's night scene revolves around its neighborhoods. This can often trap tourists into staying DT all night expecting great nightlife and missing out on the vibrant neighborhoods Seattle has.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:38 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,634,243 times
Quote:
Except every other thread heaps the love on Denver.
That’s not true though. All the It cities (Sans Seattle) Are viewed as overrated on C-D. People showing love for Denver doesn’t mean it doesn’t also get tons of criticism as well. It’s not like this thread is the first time people have expressed being underwhelmed.

Last edited by Mezter; 10-13-2017 at 01:49 PM..

Old 10-13-2017, 03:00 PM

122 posts, read 128,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Maybe because of this?
That doesn't make Denver look like it's in the mountains. You can tell it's a mountain back drop from the picture. LA has a mountain back drop also, doesn't mean it's in the mountains.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:05 PM

27,881 posts, read 29,685,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenBronco8 View Post
That doesn't make Denver look like it's in the mountains. You can tell it's a mountain back drop from the picture. LA has a mountain back drop also, doesn't mean it's in the mountains.
Pictures like this are deceptive. Depending on the camera settings, mountains can look like they are immediately adjacent to the city and very high, when in fact that may not be the case at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.