U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 09:55 PM

7,725 posts, read 9,024,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You're right. There is no place that is actually "in the mountains" that could do that. But there are places closer to the mountains than Denver is that could. I think most people expect to find Denver more in a setting like Boulder, and are surprised that the mountains are as far away as they are. The area along the Wasatch Front in Utah (south to Provo, through Salt Lake City, and north to Ogden) currently has a population of 2.1 million, and is much closer to the mountains than Denver is. A lot of people don't realize that the Wasatch Mountains have peaks reaching 11,900 feet.

And as far as Denver being over-rated, it's really all a matter of opinion, don't you think? It's not a decision that one can come to very objectively.
I pictured Denver being like Salt Lake for the longest time. Yes, it is a matter of opinion that Denver is overrated. I'm sure it's not a bad city, I just don't think it's all that great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 10:07 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,162,155 times
Detroit, everyone makes fun of it and it has its urban decay but it is a cool city with down to earth blue collar people and they are welcoming to visitors even thanking you for coming to their city.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:15 PM

7,582 posts, read 3,999,195 times
I would say Charleston SC is the one for me that was least like what I expected after hearing so much about it growing up in SC. It is a gritty city in my view but I had thought it would be quaint. There aren't as many trees downtown as I would have thought. Savannah is closer to what I expected Charleston to be like.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:05 AM

3,144 posts, read 2,826,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Wow, I totally disagree with this. The downtown strikes me as old and dead. Not physically unattractive at its core, but more or less like Buffalo's, except even emptier, less vibrant, and more depressing. There was recently an article on the front page the Buffalo News (I believe it was from last Sunday's edition) about a wheelchair-bound Rochester-based developer who's been buying up a lot of property in Buffalo of late using questionable financing methods...and even he said something to the effect of, 'I wish the city of Rochester was booming like Buffalo is right now'. And trust me, for all the 'renaissance' rhetoric, Buffalo is not booming...but compared to the city of Rochester, it likely is. Rochester has one of the highest sprawl scores in the country for a metro of X number of people and above (forget what X equaled...no less than 500k); it is not a city for urbanists IMO.
Well, you are from Buffalo so your opinion is biased. I have no problem with Rochester's sprawl - there's even a bay! Except for Buffalo's harbor with the rail line, which is excellent, Rochester has the edge. Elmwood Village was even dirty and gritty.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:07 AM

17,237 posts, read 19,536,382 times
People would be surprised at how nice Baltimore's Inner Harbor and downtown are given the reputation the city has in many places.

The Inner Harbor rocks, actually.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:35 AM

13,236 posts, read 24,416,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
We have mountains down here too but they aren't snowcapped, except for Four Peaks. IMO snowcapped mountains right from your window? One of the best views ever. There's a big appeal to that.
There is indeed, I have them myself, but the vast majority of residents here cannot see them from their homes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I've looked at housing on websites like Zillow for the Denver metro. The suburbs do seem to be very bland, just like Phoenix is. Somehow more bland in my opinion, especially considering the additional cost. Denver still has an edge of a better urban core, even if its just slightly larger, than almost every city in the Inland West. Comparing Denver to SLC, Phoenix, Boise, ABQ, Vegas... Denver might have the best ones out of all these options. Of course that changes when looking at the Coast.
Denver is definitely favorable to all of the other cities you mention, with the possible exception of Phoenix (which is quite a bit larger), and it does have the best downtown out of all of those. However, Denver is IMO incorrectly portrayed as being a very unique city, with the supposed added bonus of mountain views that you can't get anywhere else (which isn't exactly true).

Any unique character Denver had prior to ~ 10 years ago has been thoroughly washed out (transplants, yuppies, hipsters, take your pick). I agree with the other poster who stated that Denver has parts of town that feel East, and other parts of town that feel West (or Midwest for that matter). IMO it is pretty schizophrenic in that regard, and it is primarily based on what direction you're looking (). Aside from the rampant Broncos fandom and the very mild influence of New Mexico on the food, Denver has very little that is inherently distinct, very little that you can't find anywhere else. It doesn't have an accent, rare cultural traits, downhomeness or sense of place that is more easily found in other locales.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:45 AM

5,441 posts, read 8,148,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Urban vibe in what....a dozen or so neighborhoods, maybe?

75% of Denver metro is about as bland and unremarkable as it gets. Just because there are mountains in view when you drive out of your subdivision, does not necessarily make it special. Perhaps it does compared to every city east of here, but since this is a more true gateway to the west, maybe this is why its perception as a mountain paradise is overblown.
But I've always thought that Denver's pitch is that it's a big city at the door step of the Rockies? Not necessarily in the mountains. It's represented as a place that has a very outdoorsy culture and good weather to accompany that culture (Which is true). I don't think the city promotes itself as anything that it's not, which is why it's weird to see so many people get it wrong. I mean, one of the cities most popular nicknames is Queen City of the Plains. Denver doesn't hide that it's not in the mountains at all. Even then, Denver still does have amazing mountain views that you can see throughout the city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Being known as 'The Mile High City' probably doesn't help
I suppose not, but it's not a false claim or anything.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:51 AM

4,247 posts, read 9,713,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Binghamton, NY

I had literally no idea what the place looked like before I went, and it turned out to be more urban than I expected. The neighborhoods filled with 2 family houses reminded me of Queens.

It was also more diverse than I expected.
They're not as close together as in Queens, and as the "white ethnics" empty out of the area, seems largely to be repopulated from Queens too.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:53 AM

12,416 posts, read 11,920,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
People would be surprised at how nice Baltimore's Inner Harbor and downtown are given the reputation the city has in many places.

The Inner Harbor rocks, actually.
I spent extensive time in Baltimore two years ago, and I was actually let down. I always visualized Baltimore as being basically a mini-city, so I expected Downtown to be like Center City Philadelphia. The two are nothing alike though - Downtown Baltimore is more like a typical rust belt downtown - skyscrapers, parking lots, and few residents. Those big four-lane one way expressways don't make it fun to be a pedestrian either. Don't get me wrong, I liked the city, but given so many awesome neighborhoods were immediately adjacent to downtown the CBD felt like a big "hole" in the city.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:01 AM

4,247 posts, read 9,713,753 times
I was surprised at Los Angeles' dirt, grime, potholes, but especially the potholes on the surface streets.

New Orleans was dirtier than I expected, even in the "nicer" areas (I stuck close to the river).

Philadelphia surprised by its transit system, intact and useful even on weekends, and except for paying the fare (I eventually learned about the Independence Pass, paying a premium to avoid tokens that somehow managed to survive over a decade into the 21st century) and (getting better) its maps, is more coherent than, say, Boston's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or