Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 11:01 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
DFW. I was NOT expecting all those trees! I also didn't expect so few tornadoes.
Came to say this. Dallas is very green and has a lot of trees. Definitely doesn't get enough credit for it's beauty. I also expected it to be humid like Houston/Orlando, but the humidity level was very reasonable and it was even completely dry one of the day I was there (Which I didn't even know happened).
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I had always thought Denver was up in the mountains and was shocked to see its actually more on the plains.
I will never understand how so many people think Denver is in the mountains. Then they come disappointed because they thought it was Vail or something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 11:09 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
Miami. Didn't have a lot of expectations, but it's a really dirty city and I just didn't like it. The skyline was pretty from the cruise ship leaving the port. But honestly, the city was disgusting. I probably won't ever go back.

The city I liked the most was San Francisco. Being in the conservative heartland you'd think SF was some craphole, but it's actually a really nice city. It's cleaner then Miami, NYC, or Chicago. I didn't see anything crazy happening like people urinating in the streets. The people were the friendliest I've seen in a US city. I spent 6 days there and loved it. Too bad real estate is so darn expensive or I'd have a condo there, but I can easily see why the demand is so high.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:13 AM

461 posts, read 546,405 times
Park south of Market and walk to the Embarcadero. You'll see people living under the bridges, urinating/defecating in plain view, etc. As a NYer, I just never got over the incredible number of homeless in SF during the 7 years I lived there.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:55 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,421,600 times
Boston
very diverse

Old 10-09-2017, 01:05 PM

43 posts, read 71,202 times
For me personally, it's Burlington, VT, along with pretty much that whole state.

Starting in early high school, I became interested in the city/state as a place to eventually move to, particularly fueled by my desire to escape New York City. Everything about Burlington and Vermont seemed perfect to me. Lots of great nature, a laid back lifestyle, a very rural environment, and just the idea of being in a place as historic as New England appealed to me.

I never actually got around to visiting until I was in the process for the Burlington Police Department many years later. When I did, I found myself disappointed. The strange thing is that it was everything I expected it to be. It was indeed beautiful, Burlington seemed like a nice enough town (yea it's technically a city, but...come now), and the people seemed decent enough. Yet, something felt "off" and my instincts told me to not move there, so I didn't. In hindsight, I still think I made the right choice.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:41 PM

122 posts, read 129,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'll second that.
I disagree. Denver isn't overrated. It earns its reputation. Denvers mix of the outdoors with the urban vibe helps a lot with that.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:52 PM

122 posts, read 129,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Came to say this. Dallas is very green and has a lot of trees. Definitely doesn't get enough credit for it's beauty. I also expected it to be humid like Houston/Orlando, but the humidity level was very reasonable and it was even completely dry one of the day I was there (Which I didn't even know happened).

I will never understand how so many people think Denver is in the mountains. Then they come disappointed because they thought it was Vail or something
I don't understand where people get that idea either. There is no place in the mountains that could support a 3 million metro. I guess the Broncos play in the mountains too, and all our stadiums are tucked away in a nice little mountain setting..

Old 10-09-2017, 03:23 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I always thought Denver seemed to be presented as being in the mountains. Not sure why, but that was always the impression I got.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:43 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,938,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenBronco8 View Post
I don't understand where people get that idea either. There is no place in the mountains that could support a 3 million metro. I guess the Broncos play in the mountains too, and all our stadiums are tucked away in a nice little mountain setting..
Like NDak15 said, Denver is always presented-or at least implied and associated with- the Rocky Mountains. Yes, people should know that, but it's still somewhat surprising to people visiting or moving out. Perhaps it's because for most places in the west, the cities often have characteristics associated with the region- hills, buttes, pines on ridges, etc. but Denver itself definitely looks like a midwest city on the Great Plains.

Old 10-09-2017, 04:03 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenBronco8 View Post
I don't understand where people get that idea either. There is no place in the mountains that could support a 3 million metro.
You're right. There is no place that is actually "in the mountains" that could do that. But there are places closer to the mountains than Denver is that could. I think most people expect to find Denver more in a setting like Boulder, and are surprised that the mountains are as far away as they are. The area along the Wasatch Front in Utah (south to Provo, through Salt Lake City, and north to Ogden) currently has a population of 2.1 million, and is much closer to the mountains than Denver is. A lot of people don't realize that the Wasatch Mountains have peaks reaching 11,900 feet.

And as far as Denver being over-rated, it's really all a matter of opinion, don't you think? It's not a decision that one can come to very objectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.