U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is there front door locked when you are home during the day?
Yes it is always locked 54 60.00%
My door is unlocked during the day 29 32.22%
None of your business- are you a burglar? 7 7.78%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 11:57 AM

8,376 posts, read 27,811,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Part of our problem is the area teens like to come here. I don't even leave a garage door opener in my truck when its NOT in the garage. They have broken in my truck before. I have one of those radios with the removable faceplate.
Teens have been stealing from unlocked cars around here (not in my development but in some of the larger ones). People think "Oh, I live in Weston, I'm invincible!" and you wouldn't believe what they leave in their cars. Laptops, cell phones, ipods, various electronics, cash, wallets, purses, and don't even bother locking their doors, even keys to other cars that they own. Score for the burglar!

Don't really hear about smashed glass or broken locks though, unless they have a portable GPS system. GPS theft has been huge down here lately. Most of the home burglaries are acutally in the fancier communities around here. They typically have better stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 12:46 PM

2,073 posts, read 4,955,810 times
I have a gps - and although I lock my car door, maybe I should stick it in my glove-box before I get out ... I didn't think too much about it but I guess better safe than sorry.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:00 PM

10,736 posts, read 31,824,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Teens have been stealing from unlocked cars around here (not in my development but in some of the larger ones). People think "Oh, I live in Weston, I'm invincible!" and you wouldn't believe what they leave in their cars. Laptops, cell phones, ipods, various electronics, cash, wallets, purses, and don't even bother locking their doors, even keys to other cars that they own. Score for the burglar!

Don't really hear about smashed glass or broken locks though, unless they have a portable GPS system. GPS theft has been huge down here lately. Most of the home burglaries are acutally in the fancier communities around here. They typically have better stuff.
The little SOBs break into cars here, they have been known to break glass on cars or just slim jim the car. I never leave anything worth stealing in the car.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:00 PM

32,432 posts, read 59,966,193 times
I never locked my door when I lived in Cincinnati. Hell, half the time I'd go away for a weekend and forget to close the back door.

Now, outside of Philadelphia, I don't take out the trash unless the door is locked behind me and my keys are in my pocket.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:02 PM

2 posts, read 28,697 times
Yes, when I am home. I lock it only when I go out.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:27 PM

905 posts, read 2,585,242 times
I always lock my door when I leave my apartment, unless I'm like taking out the trash or something. I live in a nice neighborhood, but still.

Honestly, I never really understood why someone wouldn't lock their door, or their car for that matter (when I had a car, I always locked it and put my ipod out of plain sight when I got out). Regardless of where you live, its a very reasonable precaution and it takes all of ten seconds.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:28 PM

1,641 posts, read 4,599,361 times
Never locked when home during the day. We do lock the front door at night, but not the back door. We feel very safe in our neighborhood. We also have some scary looking dogs that bark a lot.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:36 PM

12,083 posts, read 34,207,063 times
Don't lock the door here. Shoot I wouldn't be able to get back in without climbing through a window or something because I don't even have a key to the house. Not, I don't have one on my keychain, but I don't have one period. I also have a dog, but as long as the crooks left his bed alone they would be golden. Take his soft comfy bed though, and he might wake up and growl once or twice before falling back asleep.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:40 PM

537 posts, read 1,761,423 times
I grew up in Chicago and lived there until I was 30. Always locked the door. Moved to WI 21 years ago. Never lock the doors. Not at night, not when we go away. I am not sure where the keys are. Also leave the keys in the car, I wouldn't be able to find them otherwise.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:17 PM

1,230 posts, read 2,843,920 times
Most of the time I look my doors but sometimes I forget, and they are left unlocked all day and night. I don't worry too much about it because if someone is gonna come in my house they are gonna have to get past Mabel (my 75 pound Boxer). She barks and growls at the slightest breeze, so they are gonna know she is there. She is quite particular with people (meaning she only likes a few such as my family and friends) and she will let you know in no uncertain terms that she does not like you nor does she want you there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.