U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is there front door locked when you are home during the day?
Yes it is always locked 54 60.00%
My door is unlocked during the day 29 32.22%
None of your business- are you a burglar? 7 7.78%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 04:27 AM

27,236 posts, read 41,379,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by politically_correct View Post
In today's world of 24 hour news and terrible stories about crime I am shocked by the number of people who have their doors unlocked. I see many people with their doors open and screen doors unlocked also. I walked my entire neighborhood and knocked on doors for our neighborhood association and most people when they came to the door you could tell their door was unlocked. This is in Phoenix Arizona with all the illegal alien crime!
It's hard enough for US to open the door when it's unlocked. It's a "trailer" lock made by Bargman, or something like that. You have to push in, turn, and pull at the same time. So, if someone was messing about with the door, my girlfriend would wake me up, and I'd settle someone's hash.

But we haven't had that problem. When we leave, we padlock it shut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 06:44 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,762,597 times
not usually. however, i'll never leave my car unlocked, even though i don't have any valuables in it. i know it makes no sense, i didn't realize it until i typed it out.

going to lock my door now, lol

Old 03-18-2008, 01:13 PM

3,940 posts, read 13,337,597 times
They're always unlocked.
I need to start a healthy habit of locking them. I don't live in a perfect place.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:26 PM

510 posts, read 1,308,869 times
Never been much of a 'door-locker' throughout my life. If my car is full, I'll lock the car when I'm out. I've never locked my door when I'm home-ever.
I live and travel in an RV, and lost my door keys over a year ago.
I often leave door open, screen door closed when I leave, so my cats can come & go.
I leave my keys in the car at home.

Crazy, I know.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:13 PM

1,928 posts, read 4,631,417 times
I always keep everything locked up unless I'm outside doing things. These days you can't be too carefull even if you live in a statistically low crime area. Best policy is to trust no one until proven otherwise.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:03 PM

375 posts, read 1,187,032 times
I'm another that doesn't lock doors. I always think if someone really wants to get in they will. Plus we are coming and going all day and it is easier. We talk about getting one of those combo locks and then we wouldn't worry if everyone has their keys!

Old 03-18-2008, 10:10 PM

10,732 posts, read 31,784,257 times
I guess I'm paranoid. I don't even like to leave my truck out of the garage. I have been known to lock it even in the garage. I guess its from habit more then anything else.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:31 AM

236 posts, read 564,862 times
lol.Leave your door unlocked in Milwaukee and dont be surprised to come home with all of your valuables missing.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:19 PM

510 posts, read 1,308,869 times
Default knock on wood.

I lived in Tucson, in a small apt complex, where my apt was in front, by the street, and the parking lot with about 7-8 cars.
2 different times, someone had their car broken into, and stolen. Both times, my car was unlocked with the windows rolled down, and it was untouched!
Apparently, I don't own anything worth stealing!!

Old 03-21-2008, 06:23 PM

140 posts, read 526,447 times
Here, where I live... in rural Illinois... there is almost nothing to worry about.

--That is what many think.

A news story on channel 13 was done less than one month ago talk about the vulnerability of our homes, especially here in northern Illinois. The town I live in has a microscopic crime rate, but that does not ensure that nothing will happen.

Rural areas, in my opinion are more vulnerable. Rural folks don't think to lock their doors, and some are sorry. My doors are always locked.

There was also a story on the news in Dec. about how large, wealthy homes just to the east of here, in a little town called Stillman Valley were getting robbed. I believe there were 8-9 robberies during the week.

My cousin who lives just south of here in Ashton, Illinois was robbed. Ashton has a population of 1,000 and is in the middle of nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.