Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is there front door locked when you are home during the day?
Yes it is always locked 54 60.00%
My door is unlocked during the day 29 32.22%
None of your business- are you a burglar? 7 7.78%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 05:18 PM

216 posts, read 1,006,360 times

Advertisements

Here there is really no need to lock the doors on the house or cars. Heck, I've left things sitting out on the sidewalk all night sometimes on accident. Always there in the morning. But still, why not take a precaution? It only takes once...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 05:30 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
Default Are you kidding LOCKED!

Heck, I live in Atlanta.
My doors are locked, windows locked, alarm on.
Camera's rolling along the parameter.
Two M-60 bunkers on the East and West part of the roof.
SATCOM device with infra-red heat sensors.
20' buffer with land mines

Old 03-17-2008, 05:36 PM

369 posts, read 1,638,730 times
My door is constantly locked. My house has a fence around it, but it would not be that big of a deal for somebody to just hop on over.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:34 PM

655 posts, read 2,182,517 times
Hell no. My door is always locked.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:57 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,344,552 times
Always locked. While it is not a bad area, while increase the risk if I can avoid it ?
There are many crimes in the city in the summer when people leave their doors open etc.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoWeb View Post
Always locked. While it is not a bad area, while increase the risk if I can avoid it ?
There are many crimes in the city in the summer when people leave their doors open etc.
Yes, there was a group of people robbing homes in my area by gaining access through open garages. The police kept warning people, but some wouldn't believe them.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:38 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I live in a virtually crime-free upper-middle-class suburb of a virtually crime-free middle-class city, yet we still keep all of our doors and windows locked. It's better to be safe than sorry. All it takes is one junkie glaring into windows looking for valuables to have a burglar coming right on in and taking what he (or she) wants.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:47 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, there was a group of people robbing homes in my area by gaining access through open garages. The police kept warning people, but some wouldn't believe them.
Oh we had a group like that as well, only they usually only took things from the garage.
Then of course the police told us about people who would snag your garage door opener from your car and come back later and break in through the garage.
How many people leave the door out to the garage unlocked?
Because of a peeping tom in the neighborhood (rumored to also be some teenagers) people are also careful to have curtains drawn, myself included.

Most also leave lights on inside their homes and out as well.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:02 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
When I lived in Minneapolis I was in the same apartment for seven years. During that time the back door was locked only once and the front door twice; once out of spite and the other by mistake. The entire time I was there I never once worried about safety. Now I live in one of safest cities/states in the country and you better believe my door is locked.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:08 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
I never leave my door unlocked,I lock it the second I get inside,there have been tips on the local news to never leave your garage door opened or even cracked cause there have been many cases where burglars get in through cracked garage doors.

If I even have a 12pack of coke and 1 bag of groceries in the bed of my truck and I have to go into another store,Ill make it real quick to get in and out cause people around here will steal anything..

I also leave the porch light and an inside light on all night.

New Mexico also has one of the highest rates of robbery during the holidays,so they place extra security or cops in mall parking lots,lots of thefts in retail parking lots and homes.

I take precautions cause I've had my vehicles over the past few years broken into 4 times and my apartment 2 times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.