U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 08:24 PM

4,934 posts, read 7,593,436 times

Advertisements

Park City and Hailey, (Sun Valley) Idaho are among the best in the states that I’ve been to. Hailey actually approaches European ski towns in its layout and great mix of high end and rustic architecture, even if the skiiing is only average to very good.

Haven’t been to Jackson Hole or Whistler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 08:25 PM

4,812 posts, read 4,994,656 times
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE and TRUCKEE, California

Old 10-09-2017, 08:30 PM

4,934 posts, read 7,593,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE and TRUCKEE, California
South Lake is slowly shedding its ticky tacky built environment, but it’s still got a ways to go. I love Truckee as a town, but it’s a little removed from the actual slopes.

We go almost every year to Tahoe, the skiing is awesome we had mountains of snow this year, Kirkwood is right up with the best and well worth the drive.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:46 PM

665 posts, read 864,059 times
Vail CO, I love it.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:22 AM

15,504 posts, read 17,728,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffBeach2001 View Post
The best ski towns are not in the USA. They are in Europe. Nothing even close here.
The best ski towns in America are definitely not in Europe.

FWIW, Zermatt is my favorite ski town, but it is not the best ski town in America. It is in Switzerland.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:44 PM

929 posts, read 296,392 times
Whistler is the best I've experienced, but of course that is Canada. Vail is great, if you can ignore all the snottiness and the priciness. If you want something more simple with plenty of mountains to choose from, good amenities, not pricey, and not too touristy, I'd go with Lincoln/Woodstock, NH (Cannon and Loon are each literally minutes away). Touristy in the summer with all the hikers, but not too crazy in the winter months- a lot of day skiers, and many stay in fact over at N. Conway, which in many ways is a tourist trap.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:24 PM

5,441 posts, read 8,148,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7165red View Post
Vail CO, I love it.
Yes, Vail is very beautiful. Love the architecture and the whole vide of the place.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:52 AM

4,812 posts, read 4,994,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
South Lake is slowly shedding its ticky tacky built environment, but it’s still got a ways to go. I love Truckee as a town, but it’s a little removed from the actual slopes.

We go almost every year to Tahoe, the skiing is awesome we had mountains of snow this year, Kirkwood is right up with the best and well worth the drive.
But we love South Lake Tahoe's tacky tacky built environment. You have to take all of Lake Tahoe as a whole, and South Lake Tahoe is the least "fancy". It's still a real "locals" place; folks who own moderate "cabins" from Sacramento and the Bay. In fact the whole Tahoe region is part of the Sacramento CSA. The east and north side of Lake Tahoe are more "fancy" with high-end architecture. The west side of the Lake is the least developed and likely will stay that way.

I hope South Lake Tahoe never ends up looking like Vail, yet it easily could because it's naturally more beautiful. Nothing beats the view of Tahoe from a skiers perspective on the slopes... in the USA, and I really can't think of any place in Europe more naturally beautiful.(excluding architecture)

Old 10-11-2017, 09:06 AM

2,727 posts, read 5,148,433 times
Sandpoint, Idaho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or