U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2017, 04:19 PM

60 posts, read 47,378 times

Advertisements

Hey I was thinking about relocating to eastern TN somewhere for the no state income tax and beautiful mountains, but I'm not sure if there a good trails. My career is relatively location independent. Where else would be good? I don't want to live further than a 20 minute drive to some nice trail options.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 05:16 PM

7,582 posts, read 3,994,519 times
Consider Greenville SC, and Clemson / Seneca SC in the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains. Greenville has Paris Mountain State Park 10 minutes from downtown, Lake Conestee Nature Park, and other options.

Clemson University has a 15,000 acre experimental forest surrounding the campus with a ton of trails.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:26 PM

6,554 posts, read 10,257,939 times
What kind of trails do you like? The Appalachians are nice, but I prefer the elevation variance and wide open vistas of the Rockies.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:35 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,749,193 times
Colorado would be best, for the east, I would choose Asheville. It's surrounded by the Blue Ridge mountains, no need for a 20 min drive.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:04 PM

60 posts, read 47,378 times
Access and low cost of living are the two main factors. I lived in Santa Barbara when young. Great for day hikes. Excellent access, great views, extremely high cost of living. Also lived in Mauldin, SC - It was a great bargain, but is becoming way too discovered, and the mountains are way off in the distance (about an hour), which ruled out weekday hikes. Lake Conestee was awesome, yet small and flat.

I've lived in a few places and have pretty much concluded that I need mountains.

I've been through east TN a number of times and am captivated by its beauty, and thought it might be cheap because of no income taxes, but perhaps I should consider the entire cost of living picture. Maybe there's something cheaper that fits the bill.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:07 AM

21,186 posts, read 30,343,833 times
You might consider Roanoke VA. It has the lower cost of living, a decent population with a thriving downtown area and lots of outdoor recreation possibilities in town/nearby. Here's a brief rundown from an article discussing outdoor towns..

Roanoke, Va.

If there’s any place in the Blue Ridge where it’s encouraged to own a nicer bike than car (if you have one at all), it’s the cycling hub of Roanoke. Although largely an urban environment with a population nearing 100,000 people, Roanoke boasts a startling amount of green space and staggering number of trails.

The 568-acre Mill Mountain Park is located just five minutes away from the heart of downtown. Its interweaving singletrack takes riders to scenic overlooks, to Roanoke’s highest point—Mill Mountain (1,703ft), and to the Roanoke Star, the world’s largest freestanding illuminated man-made star (and maybe the only).

The Mill Mountain Greenway connects Mill Mountain Park with the Roanoke River Greenway and ultimately downtown Roanoke, making it easy for people in town to escape for a quick afternoon ride or post-work trail run. The Roanoke River Greenway is only partially complete but is in the works to become a 30-mile bike and pedestrian pathway that will make it possible to travel from western Roanoke County near Spring Hollow Reservoir through the City of Salem to the City of Roanoke, Town of Vinton, Blue Ridge Parkway, and Virginia’s Explore Park.

Just outside of Roanoke is the nation’s second largest municipal park, Carvins Cove Natural Reserve. At 12,700 acres in size, Carvins Cove encompasses over 40 miles of trail and an 800-acre reservoir that can be seen from one of the area’s most popular (and the A.T.’s most photographed) hiking destinations, McAfee’s Knob. The reserve also borders 14 miles of the A.T. and is just a short jaunt from the Blue Ridge Parkway, great for road cyclists looking to put in big miles and tackle some even bigger elevation change.

One of the defining features of Roanoke is that it incorporates both the ease-of-access to the great outdoors with the diversity and nightlife of bigger cities. Check out The River and Rail Restaurant for a unique southern Appalachian inspired French dining experience or head over to Local Roots, a popular farm-to-table restaurant that features regionally grown food. There are a number of breweries in town and with Roanoke’s close proximity to the Crooked Road, good bluegrass is always just around the corner.

LOCAL LOWDOWN: Julia Boas
Events manager, Roanoke Outside

Favorite outdoor activity: Hiking
Favorite local spot: McAfee’s Knob

“I think Roanoke is a great mountain town because it is small enough that as soon as you move here, within a week you will have people calling you to be their climbing, paddling, hiking, or biking buddy. Many of the outdoor amenities run through the middle of the city, and everything is so accessible. It’s one of the only places I’ve been to where you can hike something as beautiful as McAfee’s Knob on the A.T. in the morning, stand up paddleboard on the Roanoke River in the afternoon, and be able to drink local craft beer and watch live music downtown by early evening.”

Old 10-10-2017, 06:15 AM
BMI

7,262 posts, read 4,492,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowsandcats View Post
Hey I was thinking about relocating to eastern TN somewhere for the no state income tax and beautiful mountains, but I'm not sure if there a good trails. My career is relatively location independent. Where else would be good? I don't want to live further than a 20 minute drive to some nice trail options.
Albuquerque

Live near the trailheads (east of Tramway Blvd.) for trails that start in the Sandia Mountains foothills and
rise up from 6,000 ft to over 10,000 ft, going from desert vegetation to lush forest.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:04 AM

23,557 posts, read 17,535,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowsandcats View Post
Access and low cost of living are the two main factors. I lived in Santa Barbara when young. Great for day hikes. Excellent access, great views, extremely high cost of living. Also lived in Mauldin, SC - It was a great bargain, but is becoming way too discovered, and the mountains are way off in the distance (about an hour), which ruled out weekday hikes. Lake Conestee was awesome, yet small and flat.

I've lived in a few places and have pretty much concluded that I need mountains.

I've been through east TN a number of times and am captivated by its beauty, and thought it might be cheap because of no income taxes, but perhaps I should consider the entire cost of living picture. Maybe there's something cheaper that fits the bill.
Do you need a job? That determines where you will live.

I live in Kingsport, TN. The city literally has a mountain in the city limits - Bays Mountain - and a wonderful park on the mountain that has a stunning amount of biodiversity. I have done most of the trails up there, and a cousin of mine has covered all the trails and is doing a lot of herpetology research there.

We also have Warrior's Path State Park right beside the city. While it doesn't have any sort of extreme hiking, there are some nice trails with views overlooking the Holston River, lake trails along Ft. Patrick Henry Lake, etc.

Johnson City is closer to the NC mountains, and Bristol is closer to mountains in southwest VA.

If you need a 9-5 professional job, those are tough to come by here.

I'd also recommend Knoxville, TN.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:07 AM

4,247 posts, read 9,710,646 times
https://www.outsideonline.com/200895...best-town-ever

Smokies are a traffic hell much of the year, I'd pick Chattanooga over Knoxville, it's also closer to Atlanta.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:08 AM

17,622 posts, read 8,837,966 times
Colorado. None better IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or