U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 05:27 AM

12,084 posts, read 34,180,902 times

Advertisements

Wow, just wow. I think I found another irrational individual for the ignore list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 06:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,555 times
I grew up in Columbus, Ohio. Lived there for 20 years. I moved to Atlanta and have lived there for 12 years. The South (Atlanta) is significantly more diverse socially, racially, etc. It's radically different. I like both cities but for different reasons. The Midwest is simple, homogeneous, and relatively inexpensive. Schools are good there (public). Good salt of the earth people. The South feels a bit more alive. But traffic is horrible. Public schools are pretty bad but private schools are very good (although extremely competitive).

Old 08-22-2011, 07:23 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,146,208 times
^Atlanta does not equal "The South", just as Columbus does not equal "The Midwest"....I think you know that, but your summary doesn't show it very well.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
But that's just not true. Your experience may be "a great deal of reality," as you put it, but it also doesn't tell the whole story, since you yourself say that you haven't been to every part of the Midwest. Your entire argument seems to be based on limited experience. So it's fine if you say that the parts of the Midwest you've been to are less diverse than the South, but it's just silly to go any further than that because you DON'T have experience to inform you. The Twin Cities and Chicago are extremely diverse. I went to elementary school in MSP and there were almost 50 nationalities represented in the school. We had an International Festival every year. I had friends from Japan, Malaysia, Namibia, Australia, Laos, Kazakhstan, South Korea, Egypt, China, and Somalia.

Little-known fact: Des Moines has huge Bosnian and Sudanese populations. At my graduation, I sat next to a kid whose father was killed in the Sudanese Civil War.
Iowa also has small ethnic regions a lot of the U.S. isn't aware of.

Northeast Iowa- Norwegians

Eastern Iowa - Catholic

East Central - Dutch/Czech

Central Iowa - German, Italian, Dutch, Hispanic, African American

Western - Danish

Northwest - Dutch

Southern - Redneck.

Des Moines and Waterloo also have a lot of 1st gen eastern european immigrants.

I used to live in Texas and you were either white, black or mexican. The school I taught in segregated students with pre-ap vs academic classes. 90% of the pre-ap students were white. This was within the last 10 years too.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:55 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,447,313 times
The face of Iowa is certainly changing. As recently as 1990, the state was north of 90% white, now it's somewhere in the mid 80s, and in the next 15-20 years, visible minorities will make up about 20-25% of the state's population. The Latino population is booming - it's about 6% Hispanic now, which isn't particularly high especially compared to those Western states, but it was only about 2% just 20 years ago. It will probably be 10 or even 15% in the next couple of decades. The African American population is very small (just about 3%) but it's steadily increasing. Waterloo and Des Moines are both about 15% African American and rising - again, not huge, but fairly comparable to its peer Midwestern cities. The Asian population is also small and mostly concentrated to the Des Moines area and college towns. Unless there's a huge influx of Hmong refugees moving to Iowa in the near future, I don't see a huge change in the Asian population.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:46 PM

11 posts, read 16,639 times
Southeast Missouri is undoubtedly the south. That is because demographically the vast majority of southeast Missourians are of Scots-Irish decent coming into the US via VA or NC during the 1600-1700s. Those folks eventually moved west through TN and KY before finally settling in the Bootheel. The terrain here is more conducive to row cropping another tie we have with the South and a big reason why southerners settled the area. The bootheel produces most of the state's cotton, rice, and watermelons. The area is very rural and hasn't had a lot of influence from other people because people don't have much reason to move here, so it's a nice little preserved pocket of southern culture. The way of life here is identical to pretty much all the rest of the rural south because of reasons stemming from the facts stated above.

Last edited by Zach.USCG; 07-29-2015 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: Accidentally posted it before I was done typing.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:34 AM

1 posts, read 534 times
I moved from Florida( big cities and small towns my family mostly from small towns in GA)to NW Missouri ( small town), and the biggest thing I noticed is that the South is more warm and friendly and the people make you feel more welcome. Midwest people are nice and polite, but kinda stand-off'ish or reserved as some other posts have mentioned. Something so funny to me is in the Midwest, more than half of the time I will smile and say" hi, how are you?", I get an expressionless " I'm fine." As a reply. They don't care how I'm doing,I guess. Lol. The churches are totally different, dry and boring in the Midwest too. And goodness forbid if you don't have an appointment ( bank, hair salon, potential daycare center for kid, you name it) in the Midwest, and walk in and ask a harmless question ( "hi, I would like to speak to someone about a loan", or "do you take walk ins", etc.) You will be met with blank stares of shock and someone sharply telling you in one way or another that you've interrupted them somehow.Lol. I'm learning to get used to it and trying not to think everyone is so rude!
In response to some other comments, the South is no more two faced than any other, we only try to treat you kindly in person even if we don't like you, I call it common courtesy.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:53 PM

3 posts, read 2,904 times
I have lived in the east coast, west coast, and Midwest. I can tell you by far the best is Midwest. The people are much friendlier, small towns, everyone there to lend a helping hand. Iowa was my favorite Midwest state. And in the right parts of Chicago it's not bad either. I think every state has it's perks and downfalls. I was born and raised in Colorado, beautiful state but I really loved Iowa. There is not much diversity in the Midwest as you find in the south.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:22 PM

425 posts, read 295,777 times
I grew up in the Midwest, and although I have many great memories of growing up in Ohio, I fell in love with the South and haven't looked back. As I got older I just felt that I didn't belong in the Midwest. Midwesterners are more reserved and quiet, yet still polite. I find the outgoing friendliness of the South to fit my outlook better. I enjoy that in the South it is not uncommon for complete strangers to start up a conversation while waiting for a table at dinner, or holding the door with a smile. The manners (Ma'am/Sir, Please/Thank You,etc.) are also much better in the South compared to the Midwest. Also, cannot forget the better weather and foliage of the South. Nothing beats a Mid Spring walk in the evening walking past fresh Magnolia blossoms, the diverse landscapes of the Mountains and hills to the rolling farms of tobacco and horses. I also find the South to be more vibrant and growing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or