U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 08:15 AM

1,546 posts, read 710,668 times

Advertisements

It seems like one of the bluer red states, if that makes sense. It votes consistently red nationally, but often votes blue in more local elections. Native American politics and activism are big there compared to other states, even other Western states.

Other than that, it seems like a normal Western state to me. Sparsely populated, lots of picturesque scenery, not much to do in the way of cultural amenities or white-collar employment, mildly passionate about guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 08:56 AM

1,195 posts, read 831,979 times
Having went through there a decade or so ago, I'll say this:

-Not very racially diverse
-LONG stretches of nothingness, particularly in the Eastern part of the state. Mapquest took us off I-94 and put us on State Highway 200 for most of the route both times. I don't particularly want to go that way ever again. We got back on the Highway around Great Falls, which (along with Missoula) seemed to be the most populated along the route.

-Western (Cowboy) culture.
-Mountains and Trees

I did remember seeing a decent looking rest area off HWY 200, but it was in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited by Renownedtheworldaround; 10-14-2017 at 09:29 AM..

Old 10-14-2017, 09:18 AM

929 posts, read 296,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
Having went through there a decade or so ago, I'll say this:

-Not very racially diverse
-LONG stretches of nothingness, particularly in the Eastern part of the state. Mapquest took us off I-90 and put us on State Highway 200 for most of the route both times. I don't particularly want to go that way ever again. We got back on the Highway around Great Falls, which (along with Missoula) seemed to be the most populated along the route.

-Western (Cowboy) culture.
-Mountains and Trees

I did remember seeing a decent looking rest area off HWY 200, but it was in the middle of nowhere.
Haven't been through the eastern half, but that's scary, given that I felt the same way about the western half; nothing off I-90 for hours- not even a McDonald's. There is plenty of Montana I haven't explored and it is so big, I think more so than many states, you just take the good with bad. I'm willing to bet there is more beauty percentage wise, than say, New Mexico: beautiful within the confines of the Taos/Santa Fe/Albuquerque regions; but vastly just one giant depressing place where you could understand how it got chosen for the Manhattan Project.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:28 AM

1,195 posts, read 831,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Haven't been through the eastern half, but that's scary, given that I felt the same way about the western half; nothing off I-90 for hours- not even a McDonald's. There is plenty of Montana I haven't explored and it is so big, I think more so than many states, you just take the good with bad. I'm willing to bet there is more beauty percentage wise, than say, New Mexico: beautiful within the confines of the Taos/Santa Fe/Albuquerque regions; but vastly just one giant depressing place where you could understand how it got chosen for the Manhattan Project.
At least you were on I-90, 200 is a 2 lane highway with virtually no cars on it. Didn't see a McDonald's until we got through Lewistown (a few hundred miles after we got off the interstate). I haven't been through New Mexico, but I wouldn't want to be caught in Rural Kansas, or Rural Nevada either.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:58 AM

7,738 posts, read 9,030,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
It seems like one of the bluer red states, if that makes sense. It votes consistently red nationally, but often votes blue in more local elections. Native American politics and activism are big there compared to other states, even other Western states.

Other than that, it seems like a normal Western state to me. Sparsely populated, lots of picturesque scenery, not much to do in the way of cultural amenities or white-collar employment, mildly passionate about guns.
It's blue on a very local level. Missoula may be blue but the areas around it are straight out of the 1800s with their beliefs. Some of the most extremist conservatives you'll encounter anywhere.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:02 PM

1,593 posts, read 833,796 times
I mostly just remember "How the States got Their Shapes" Some guy in Montana makes all the parts of a gun but you have to put them together themselves. Then the guy said his county was bigger than New Hampshire. I pretty munch think Montanans are gun toting bad asses. I went to Yellowstone and had lunch in Montana but that's pretty munch it for me.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:04 PM

1,593 posts, read 833,796 times
I don't say that as a compliment or non complement. Like the question said what do you think?

Old 10-15-2017, 08:29 PM

28,210 posts, read 47,614,469 times
What comes to mind when you think of Montana? Beautiful landscapes.
Attached Thumbnails
What comes to mind when you think of Montana?-1052913_592385274134403_1512470703_o.jpg  

Old 10-15-2017, 09:11 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,542,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
It's blue on a very local level. Missoula may be blue but the areas around it are straight out of the 1800s with their beliefs. Some of the most extremist conservatives you'll encounter anywhere.
I would agree with TheTimidBlueBear's comment at the top of the page, all in all. Montana has a long history (almost all of its statehood, really) of having very mixed voter preferences and representation. The last seven years have shown a bit less of that, though. To think that Montana in 2008 was home to one of the closest presidential races in the country...it almost seems like a whole different political climate at the moment.

But if you're a progressive-oriented person living in Missoula, well, with a little imagination, you could just try, with every fiber of your being, to pretend that Ravalli County doesn't even exist! Childishly optimistic, but I'm just saying.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:16 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,542,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
I don't say that as a compliment or non complement. Like the question said what do you think?
I think it just illustrates a caricature, but not an offensive one.

Open-carry is hardly ubiquitous here despite the prevalence of firearm ownership, and concealed carry permits are held by a very small percentage of Montanans...hunting season doesn't last very long...but I still couldn't dispell the notion that Montana has a strong gun culture. It very much does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or