U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 10:55 PM

77 posts, read 182,635 times

Advertisements

One thing to note is the cultural gulf between eastern europeans and americans. many of the people i met who were eastern european felt different even if they looked similar.

If you look similar, you should not have too many issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 11:07 PM

5,655 posts, read 8,658,273 times
I don't think most Americans care about what part of Europe someone is from. IMO all Europeans are generally treated the same here.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriko88 View Post
I am from Bulgaria. This apparently is not cool for Central Europeans, but Western Europeans start acting cold to me once they hear it. Is Canada easier to start from scratch due to it being more social-ist lol? Similar culture and language. I have passed a TOEFL, but need a renewal for Canada. I have a CAE and an American uni degree.
FWIW I have Bulgarian neighbors and they seem very happy in Chicago - have assimilated well. But maybe you can ask other Bulgarian immigrants?

I think Eastern Europeans have the reputation in Chicago as being hard-working and friendly (traits we admire), so are looked upon positively.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
It's because Russians are white, simple as that

Only nonwhite immigrants are looked down on
IMO We like Russians because, like other Eastern Europeans, they come across as very hard-working and industrious.

Americans tend to highly value a strong work ethic - whatever country/culture/race it comes from.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post

In Europe, it's much more customary for you to call out to the waiter when you need something. Americans seem way too polite (especially midwesterners) to do this so they end up staring around like lost sheep.
I've never experienced this in the U.S. Waitstaff will give you their first names so you can call out to them. I have no idea what area in the midwest has timid, too polite restaurant sheep. In my area it's often the opposite - pushy, hurried people constantly calling out for the waiter.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:47 PM

1,900 posts, read 826,629 times
Regardless of Europe or the US. Never argue or get pushy with the person that fixes, or serves your food and drink. I'd rather be too polite than risk coming off as rude. I have seen people treating waiters or waitresses horrible and with actual contempt or just plain arrogance. Some brave people out there.... brave or foolish.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:26 AM

11,456 posts, read 6,568,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
IMO We like Russians because, like other Eastern Europeans, they come across as very hard-working and industrious.

Americans tend to highly value a strong work ethic - whatever country/culture/race it comes from.
I think it's really just about race.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:34 PM

956 posts, read 1,773,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I don't think most Americans care about what part of Europe someone is from. IMO all Europeans are generally treated the same here.
Yep, can confirm Americans don't give a crap where you originally were from in Europe! That's too bad, if in western Europe that eastern Europeans sometimes get looked down upon. I've only been to Europe twice(once to Netherlands, other time was to Ireland and Northern Ireland(UK)), so I didn't pick up on the western Europeans sometimes looking down on eastern Europeans bit. And when I was in Amsterdam, it seemed like that city had visitors from all over Europe. Including from I assume, eastern European countries. Dublin, Ireland had that too, but probably to a slightly lesser extent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or