Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2017, 12:05 AM

12 posts, read 17,648 times

Advertisements

I'm a huge fan of nature and forests and animals, so I'm looking for a state with amazing biodiversity and natural attractions, so far I've looked into Alaska, Montana, Idaho, and other northern states, but I'm just not sure. Any suggestion or help? Please and thank you
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 06:28 AM

26,934 posts, read 43,449,157 times
California and Hawaii are two I would recommend. Biodiversity involves more than a northern climate and in fact would encompass varying climate zones, which is why Florida is also considered very biodiverse as well. Perhaps you may need to revisit your criteria in order to narrow down effectively.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:38 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,073,619 times
I think Texas, California, Florida, and Hawaii are the most biodiverse states. They also have a variety of geography, with tropics, beaches, deserts, canyons, forests, and prairie.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:04 AM

5,333 posts, read 5,062,082 times
The Rocky mountain west is actually pretty bad for plant diversity (and animal diversity if you consider non-mammilian animals). A lot of these areas contain monoculture forests, either all Ponderosa Pine, all sagebrush, all aspen, all spruce... Now this can be pretty, but it isn't diverse. Even though these each look quite a bit different, there's only a number of tree and grass and bush species throughout the whole region, far behind the eastern US and the Pacific US.

This is because the variable precipitation and temperatures make it difficult for everything but a few species to survive in this region.

I believe Alabama is the most diverse state in the US (concerning plants ).

Basically, stability in climate and warmer and wetter yield more species. If you want a northern state, I'd pick the great lakes area or the PNW. Otherwise I'd pick the Appalachian south.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:32 AM

10,972 posts, read 7,031,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjamastr1217 View Post
I'm a huge fan of nature and forests and animals, so I'm looking for a state with amazing biodiversity and natural attractions, so far I've looked into Alaska, Montana, Idaho, and other northern states, but I'm just not sure.
No, the northern states don't have the environments on their side. The coldness is the one factor, but the dryness is also often a large factor too (Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, the Dakotas, etc.) When the moisture drops, the plant life and vegetation drop, and along with it the various animals in the food chain. It's pretty simple. I got a good shock when I moved to CO and discovered how sparse it is compared to where I previously lived, mostly due to the moisture difference. Altitude and the related oxygen decline may also play a role.

Combine warmth and moisture though, with large stands of trees and unsettled areas, and you'll find the largest concentration of "nature, forests, and animals". So, I'd guess places like CA, AK, TN, KY, WV, etc.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 09-29-2017 at 08:42 AM..

Old 09-29-2017, 10:41 AM

5,688 posts, read 4,862,134 times
These maps can probably help you out concerning biodiversity

Tree Diversity
Amphibian Diversity
Bird Diversity
Reptile Diversity
Endemic Diversity

In that regard It's pretty clear to see that the South East is the most biodiverse

If you want Climate Diversity then any western State will suffice, though WA and CA would be the two major ones

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...tes_koppen.svg

Old 09-29-2017, 05:37 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,281,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post

Tree Diversity
Amphibian Diversity
Bird Diversity
Reptile Diversity
Endemic Diversity

In that regard It's pretty clear to see that the South East is the most biodiverse.
Yep. It was once thought that the region lacked biodiversity, due to the flat topography, frequent inundations, etc. However, recent investigations have shown that the region's ecosystems are quite old, having had consistent endemic species since the last Ice Age. Combined with many threatened ecosystems in the region, and the SE US coastal plain, from Mexico to the southern NE US, now is classed as the world's 36th biodiversity hotspot:
CEPF.net - North American Coastal Plain
CEPF.net - Announcing the World

Old 09-29-2017, 09:07 PM

10,269 posts, read 13,789,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjamastr1217 View Post
I'm a huge fan of nature and forests and animals, so I'm looking for a state with amazing biodiversity and natural attractions, so far I've looked into Alaska, Montana, Idaho, and other northern states, but I'm just not sure. Any suggestion or help? Please and thank you
Any of these have it, as does Wyoming. Are you looking to relocate to one of them?

Old 09-29-2017, 10:33 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,773,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post

Tree Diversity
Amphibian Diversity
Bird Diversity
Reptile Diversity
Endemic Diversity

In that regard It's pretty clear to see that the South East is the most biodiverse

If you want Climate Diversity then any western State will suffice, though WA and CA would be the two major ones

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...tes_koppen.svg
Yep, and which State shows the most diversity by this map? Washington State is right up there, with Oregon, California, and Idaho not far behind.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:45 PM

5,688 posts, read 4,862,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Yep, and which State shows the most diversity by this map? Washington State is right up there, with Oregon, California, and Idaho not far behind.
I actually made a thread about this earlier
http://www.city-data.com/forum/weath...-province.html

The winner according to that map is Colorado with 16 climates, Washington has 14, and California has 10. However this map isn’t ver accurate since the isotherm it uses to differentiate between temperate and continental climates is to have the coldest monthly average at -3C rather than 0C which means that some parts of Colorado is subtropical/oceanic which is insanely ridiculous. But non the less, that map is fairly good guide.

Last edited by grega94; 09-29-2017 at 10:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.