U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 05:31 AM

13,420 posts, read 16,970,511 times

Advertisements

What are we SUPPOSED to look like? I'd really like to know! And while you're at it, tell me what we're supposed to SOUND like too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 05:43 AM

44,880 posts, read 36,203,761 times
I'm southern to the bone, born and raised in the south in a family with ancestors who have been here since the 1640s. I've never noticed what the OP is talking about. In fact, in my experience, there are more "swarthy" people in the Northeast than the South.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:37 AM

23,111 posts, read 35,052,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm southern to the bone, born and raised in the south in a family with ancestors who have been here since the 1640s. I've never noticed what the OP is talking about. In fact, in my experience, there are more "swarthy" people in the Northeast than the South.
Because in the Northeast they had a massive influx of people of Mediterranean descent that the South never had. That's a no-brainer.
I'm beginning to think that the OP is suggesting that miscegenation is the reason for his hypothesis...and that it's supposed to be construed as a negative.
It ain't all St. Olaf out there OP.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:47 AM

10,558 posts, read 13,124,167 times
What?!?!!!!!!;!??????

Old 10-13-2017, 07:51 AM

1,134 posts, read 618,257 times
Good question O P. I think a lot of us have noticed this. One day I read a slim book that was a kind of overview of who immigrated to the U.S. in the 19th and 20th centuries. It had lots of photographs. There were several pages of Irish immigrants. After looking at those pages I thought there must be some mistake in the editing. Many of the people shown had a complexion that appeared to be very light brown, their hair was dark and bone straight, their eyes were dark, their jaws were somewhat square and their most prominent facial feature was high cheekbones. These were obviously American Indians! That's what I thought but no, they were labeled Irish. And way before then I'd noticed these same physical characteristics in a whole lot of white southerners. And what about some Scots who immigrated to the south? They had a similar appearance, except their dark hair is decidedly more curly than straight. A librarian at a law library told me that the Scots still carried Moor blood from hundreds of years ago. After some research I could see the logic in that explanation. But these "white" people in the deep south of the U.S. who look anything but Anglo Saxon -- what I'd really like to know is What do they say their history is? And what's their real story?

Old 10-13-2017, 12:38 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,628,314 times
"Southern whites are considerably more likely to have African ancestry than whites from other regions: "European Americans with African ancestry comprise as much as 12% of European Americans from Louisiana and South Carolina and about 1 in 10 individuals in other parts of the South," the authors found."

"Indeed, the average self-described African-American has about 24 percent European ancestry, according to the study, indicating that descriptors like "black" and "white" mean a lot less from a biological standpoint than they do from a cultural one. To dig deeper into this, the authors plotted respondents' proportion of African ancestry against their likelihood of calling themselves African American."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.89e90a1cd7ca

The United States has had a long history of racial mixing but it was largely taboo and illegal. Just imagine if we did not have Jim Crow and anti-miscegenation laws in America, America would probably resemble Brazil or other Latin American countries.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:13 PM

1,016 posts, read 642,534 times
Whites in the Deep South are often swarthier than their Midwestern counterparts for several different reasons, some of which have already been mentioned up-thread.

-The sun's rays are stronger south of the 37th parallel, allowing for Vitamin D absorption in the winter months. FYI, most of the South lies below the 37th parallel.

-Whites in the South are more likely to have trace amounts of African or American Indian admixture than whites in the Northeast or Midwest. As a general rule of thumb, white Southerners can often trace their ancestry to colonial America whereas whites in the Northeast and Midwest -- who later populated much of the West, mind you -- are often descended from European immigrants who arrived in the US after 1820.

-In some areas of the South, such as Louisiana and parts of Mississippi, for example, there are high concentrations of French and Italian ancestry.

-Most whites in the South of are of British or Irish extraction. Please be advised that British whites in particular are not exclusively fair-haired like Scandinavian whites; dark hair and eyes are fairly common in Great Britain, especially in the south of England.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:38 PM

23,111 posts, read 35,052,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Whites in the Deep South are often swarthier than their Midwestern counterparts for several different reasons, some of which have already been mentioned up-thread.

-The sun's rays are stronger south of the 37th parallel, allowing for Vitamin D absorption in the winter months. FYI, most of the South lies below the 37th parallel.

-Whites in the South are more likely to have trace amounts of African or American Indian admixture than whites in the Northeast or Midwest. As a general rule of thumb, white Southerners can often trace their ancestry to colonial America whereas whites in the Northeast and Midwest -- who later populated much of the West, mind you -- are often descended from European immigrants who arrived in the US after 1820.

-In some areas of the South, such as Louisiana and parts of Mississippi, for example, there are high concentrations of French and Italian ancestry.

-Most whites in the South of are of British or Irish extraction. Please be advised that British whites in particular are not exclusively fair-haired like Scandinavian whites; dark hair and eyes are fairly common in Great Britain, especially in the south of England.
"Swarthy" is one thing, "mixed" (as the OP asserts) is quite another.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:41 PM

1,068 posts, read 736,951 times
Bert you`ve nearly got it; I was despairing on how it was going-must be Irish, must be red Indian, not Anglo Saxon. ( Americans all want to be Irish or Indian caus they fight and are tough, bla bla) The first myth is the Scots-Irish ( they are not Irish). Most Irish arrived to the North in 1840`s onwards, they are not colonial, or Scots-Irish. These are from Ulster and are Southern Scottish/Northern English descent, basically Celtic Britons. The border between England/Scotland is a Roman invention. The American south is populated by Britons ( not Irish), English, Scots and Welsh. The English ( West Country) and Welsh and the Northern Britons can be quite dark. The light skinned Gaels from Ireland are plenty in Boston but not majority South. Let Eddie ol Skool have a view.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:45 PM

634 posts, read 490,242 times
I have never noticed any such thing or heard anyone else say they had. The whole thread is based on a false premise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or