Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 01:46 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,106,645 times

Advertisements

90% of Britons that I know, including me, have dark brown hair; more women have fair hair, but not the Scandanavian hair, more bleached . I see parallels between working class Britons and American Southerners ( apart from guns)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 03:05 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Wow.

OK so like I said earlier, my family has been in the US (from Scotland and Germany and England) since the 1640s and in the southern US since the very early 1700s.

I have very dark eyes, and dark, thick, coarse, curly hair. I also have a pug nose and full lips, just for the record.

Lots of very old early photographs of my ancestors show people with dark, curly hair and eyes, and some had darker complexions than mine (I have skin that flushes easily but it's fair). So I decided to get a DNA test done to see what mysteries lurked in my family tree!

I am the whitest person I have ever met.

I am 98 percent northern European and 2 percent "just" European. Whitest. Girl. Evah.

No wonder I can't get a tan.

Anyway, so much for racial "mixing" and Indian princesses and white slave owners begetting little children with the house servants. Nope. Not that it would have mattered to me -actually if the truth be known, I was sort of hoping for some gypsies or Native Americans or mysterious African DNA and...I got nothing.

And I'm from New Orleans. Go figgur.

Anyway, according to the studies I've read, about 4 percent of the general US population of "white folks" has at least 1 percent African DNA. In the south, it's about 10 percent.

So just keep in mind that about 90 percent of Southern Americans do not have even 1 percent of African DNA.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:06 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,106,645 times
To me , being a Briton is not boring ( as an Englishman- working class- very normal) but what is with this pocohuntas thing? I'm not called Smith bty

Old 10-13-2017, 11:30 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Wow.

OK so like I said earlier, my family has been in the US (from Scotland and Germany and England) since the 1640s and in the southern US since the very early 1700s.

I have very dark eyes, and dark, thick, coarse, curly hair. I also have a pug nose and full lips, just for the record.

Lots of very old early photographs of my ancestors show people with dark, curly hair and eyes, and some had darker complexions than mine (I have skin that flushes easily but it's fair). So I decided to get a DNA test done to see what mysteries lurked in my family tree!

I am the whitest person I have ever met.

I am 98 percent northern European and 2 percent "just" European. Whitest. Girl. Evah.

No wonder I can't get a tan.

Anyway, so much for racial "mixing" and Indian princesses and white slave owners begetting little children with the house servants. Nope. Not that it would have mattered to me -actually if the truth be known, I was sort of hoping for some gypsies or Native Americans or mysterious African DNA and...I got nothing.

And I'm from New Orleans. Go figgur.

Anyway, according to the studies I've read, about 4 percent of the general US population of "white folks" has at least 1 percent African DNA. In the south, it's about 10 percent.

So just keep in mind that about 90 percent of Southern Americans do not have even 1 percent of African DNA.
This is priceless, Kathryn! Your wonderful sense of humor is refreshing, thanks for sharing this.

I guess people need to be reminded that there are over 110 million 'Southerners,' we have every imaginable ethnicity here.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:08 AM

657 posts, read 801,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Whites in the Deep South are often swarthier than their Midwestern counterparts for several different reasons, some of which have already been mentioned up-thread.

-The sun's rays are stronger south of the 37th parallel, allowing for Vitamin D absorption in the winter months. FYI, most of the South lies below the 37th parallel.

-Whites in the South are more likely to have trace amounts of African or American Indian admixture than whites in the Northeast or Midwest. As a general rule of thumb, white Southerners can often trace their ancestry to colonial America whereas whites in the Northeast and Midwest -- who later populated much of the West, mind you -- are often descended from European immigrants who arrived in the US after 1820.

-In some areas of the South, such as Louisiana and parts of Mississippi, for example, there are high concentrations of French and Italian ancestry.

-Most whites in the South of are of British or Irish extraction. Please be advised that British whites in particular are not exclusively fair-haired like Scandinavian whites; dark hair and eyes are fairly common in Great Britain, especially in the south of England.
Scandinavian whites are not exclusively fair haired either. Many have dark hair and eyes. Europeans, bar a few extreme exceptions, look the same. I bet most people on this thread couldn't tell an Italian from a Norwegian by appearance alone. They're has been too much intermixing. This whole thread is absurd.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:14 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,397,040 times
Maybe it's because they spend more time in the sun. Duh.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:23 PM

30,350 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Maybe because they're tanned from the strong sun?

Also, many white people in Louisiana are of French and or Italian descent.
Yep, I'm from south Louisiana and my wife is half Italian descent. I'm told that I'm 1/32nd Native American so in my family, some of us are very blond and light skinned ad others can tan well. My 3 kids are 2 blondes and 1 that looks very Italian with dark hair, olive skin, very dark evey while his brother is blond and bluee eyed.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:16 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post

The United States has had a long history of racial mixing but it was largely taboo and illegal. Just imagine if we did not have Jim Crow and anti-miscegenation laws in America, America would probably resemble Brazil or other Latin American countries.
I used to think so, too, but the fact is that Latin American countries are so mixed due to being settled overwhelmingly by European males alone who had only the African and indigenous American women to mate with. More Europeans that settled the U.S. came as families and procreated mostly with each other. That's why there's been much less race mixing up here. South Louisiana is the one major exception.

Last edited by Gunion Powder; 10-14-2017 at 08:33 PM..

Old 10-14-2017, 11:55 PM

368 posts, read 453,433 times
Never noticed this. In fact, I think Whites in the South, along with Midwest, are whiter than whites in the Northeast. Southern whites are mostly Scotch-Irish. Midwestern Whites are mostly German or Scandinavian. Northeast whites are mostly Italian or Irish.

So, Southern/midwestern whites are more northern european, while northeast whites are more mediterrean. western whites are descended from midwest/northeast whites.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:03 AM

368 posts, read 453,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I used to think so, too, but the fact is that Latin American countries are so mixed due to being settled overwhelmingly by European males alone who had only the African and indigenous American women to mate with. More Europeans that settled the U.S. came as families and procreated mostly with each other. That's why there's been much less race mixing up here. South Louisiana is the one major exception.
Thats 100% true. English colonies were set up differently from Spanish colonies. Spanish colonies came earlier and were more about military conquest and takong of resources, being the first europeans in the americas they wanted to see what the "New world" was all about. English colonies were more about resettlement, families escaping the overwhelming might of the English government and starting a new life.

Last edited by Spreadofknowledge; 10-15-2017 at 12:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.