U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 12:42 AM

920 posts, read 1,015,667 times

Advertisements

Louisiana is home to the Deep South's most geneologically diverse white population, and after second most diverse Florida, there's a considerable drop-off in the level of genealogical diversity within the white populations of other Deep South states like Alabama, Georgia, and Mississippi. Considering that whites who hail from the Deep South are more of " Redneck " stock than not, exotic would be the one thing that they aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 05:36 AM

44,695 posts, read 36,132,256 times
If by "rednecK' you mean predominately of English, Irish, and Scottish ancestry typically hailing from folks who came over from the British Isles in the 1600s and 1700s then you're correct.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:03 AM

11,456 posts, read 6,575,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
Louisiana is home to the Deep South's most geneologically diverse white population, and after second most diverse Florida, there's a considerable drop-off in the level of genealogical diversity within the white populations of other Deep South states like Alabama, Georgia, and Mississippi. Considering that whites who hail from the Deep South are more of " Redneck " stock than not, exotic would be the one thing that they aren't.
Plenty of French descended rednecks exist

Old 10-21-2017, 05:35 PM

10,162 posts, read 6,488,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm southern to the bone, born and raised in the south in a family with ancestors who have been here since the 1640s. I've never noticed what the OP is talking about. In fact, in my experience, there are more "swarthy" people in the Northeast than the South.

Exactly! I think the OP is mixed up. I have never noticed anything like that either.

Old 10-21-2017, 05:57 PM

13,408 posts, read 6,688,989 times
Why are we using the term 'Swarthy' to begin with? I say 'ethnic' which is both more accurate and can be defined, and not derogatory!

But anyway, I do not see this in Texas. I mean of course we have tons of 'Latin' people but that doesn't seem to be what OP is referring to.

We also have other ethnicity like Slavic or Arab or Indian, who, like Hispanics, are white but have darker skin than say people with Nordic/western Europe pale, can't hardly get a tan people.

Of course also Native Americans and people who have NA ancestry blended in.

Old 10-21-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
What? Redneck is not an ethnicity. It has nothing to do with ancestry. LOL!

Old 10-21-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
If by "rednecK' you mean predominately of English, Irish, and Scottish ancestry typically hailing from folks who came over from the British Isles in the 1600s and 1700s then you're correct.
Do you have a link that says 'Rednecks' are defined as having this ancestry?

Old 10-21-2017, 07:35 PM

The term redneck is a derogatory term chiefly used for a rural poor white person of the Southern United States.[1][2] Its usage is similar in meaning to cracker (especially regarding Georgia, Texas, [3] and Florida), hillbilly (especially regarding Appalachia and the Ozarks),[4] and white trash (but without the last term's suggestions of immorality).[5][6][7]

By the 1970s, the term had become offensive slang, and its meaning had expanded to mean bigoted, loutish, and opposed to modern ways.[8]

Patrick Huber has emphasized the theme of masculinity in the continued expansion of the term in the 20th century, noting, "The redneck has been stereotyped in the media and popular culture as a poor, dirty, uneducated, and racist Southern white man."
[9]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redneck

Can't find anything regarding particular ancestry at all.

Old 11-23-2017, 10:26 PM

920 posts, read 1,015,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
The term redneck is a derogatory term chiefly used for a rural poor white person of the Southern United States.[1][2] Its usage is similar in meaning to cracker (especially regarding Georgia, Texas, [3] and Florida), hillbilly (especially regarding Appalachia and the Ozarks),[4] and white trash (but without the last term's suggestions of immorality).[5][6][7]

By the 1970s, the term had become offensive slang, and its meaning had expanded to mean bigoted, loutish, and opposed to modern ways.[8]

Patrick Huber has emphasized the theme of masculinity in the continued expansion of the term in the 20th century, noting, "The redneck has been stereotyped in the media and popular culture as a poor, dirty, uneducated, and racist Southern white man."
[9]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redneck

Can't find anything regarding particular ancestry at all.
Rednecks are primarily Scots-Irish of Scottish ancestry and Protestant Christianity.This seems to be true according to everything you'll read other than Wikipedia.

Old 11-24-2017, 02:17 AM

4,433 posts, read 4,415,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boran2 View Post
When I lived in the deep south states (Alabama, Louisiana, and especially Georgia), I noticed that people there who were white looked very mixed. For a while in Georgia, I was spending time with (to keep it as PG as possible) with a couple of women who had Anglo sounding names and a southern accent but they looked very Italian/Latina.

It kinda confused the life out of me and I didn't want to be rude so I never asked them. For some reason the south had an abundance of brunettes with tans who looked very Mediterranean and swarthy. Thought Scot-Irish and English were the most common descent down south.

Its different because here in the upper midwest, I run into an abundance of blondes and Caucasian Americans that more closely match the Northern European look.

Why is this?
I'm black, but I'm not sure what your talking about cause for the most part southern whites, look like white people from other parts of the country. .

But there's several explanations some already addressed.

1. Some of the South was colonized by the French and Spanish before British and US took over.

Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia were colonize by the the French and Spanish. I think its weird when people try to separate Florida and Texas because of Spanish history, because Spain was in a few southern states.

Spanish missions in Georgia

2. Some southern whites may have African and native America ancestry. The whole Creole thing basically means mix. Some mix people during the Jim Crow era who was light enough try to "pass" as white, to avoid discrimination. And may or not tell there children they are mix.

Non of these paople are southern but Nicole Richie, mariah carey, rashida jones, leona lewis, troian bellisario are mixed,

troian bellisario from pretty little liar is a quarter black. but you could hardly notice....

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....14,317_AL_.jpg

3. Sun.......... it's the South more likely to get a tan compare to the Midwest.

4. Metro Atlanta is in Georgia. Atlanta has nearly double it's population since the 90's. Growing up in Georgia I have known so many people from New York, New Jersey and etc. Stuff like some one being mix part German, Irish and Italian is common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or