U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 10:01 AM

11,456 posts, read 6,581,240 times

Advertisements

The other day I met a guy from Charleston, I asked him if he was Indian/Guyanese and he said "no, I'm of English descent". Granted, I was drunk and it was dark in that room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 10:52 AM

6,564 posts, read 3,662,092 times
OP must have lived in the plain vanilla world of some upper Midwest towns. Those are largely Scandinavians and northern Europeans. Big cities and the eastern, southern and western states have a broader mix...especially around seaports. If you get your DNA tested you would be surprised at the results. I look pretty typical white but I'm a blue-eyed Irish-Baltic-North African-Balkan-Ukrainian-Ashkenazi-Mediterranean sort of guy from St. Louis...right smack in the middle. I look like an aging Czar Nicholas (who was mostly German, not Russian) and I still have to pay the same for coffee at Starbucks. None of that actually matters....they don't recognize royalty when they see it.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:12 PM

2,970 posts, read 4,343,734 times
When I moved to Georgia from Ohio. I noticed that people from Georgia seemed to have eyes closer together than people in the midwest.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:38 AM

23,076 posts, read 35,028,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
When I moved to Georgia from Ohio. I noticed that people from Georgia seemed to have eyes closer together than people in the midwest.
Oh, for God's sake...

Old 11-25-2017, 12:18 PM

204 posts, read 162,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boran2 View Post
When I lived in the deep south states (Alabama, Louisiana, and especially Georgia), I noticed that people there who were white looked very mixed. For a while in Georgia, I was spending time with (to keep it as PG as possible) with a couple of women who had Anglo sounding names and a southern accent but they looked very Italian/Latina.

It kinda confused the life out of me and I didn't want to be rude so I never asked them. For some reason the south had an abundance of brunettes with tans who looked very Mediterranean and swarthy. Thought Scot-Irish and English were the most common descent down south.

Its different because here in the upper midwest, I run into an abundance of blondes and Caucasian Americans that more closely match the Northern European look.

Why is this?
This difference might be true for those specific regions for possibly only one reason:

Sunshine.

Everywhere south of 37 degrees north gets enough sunshine (but not necessarily temperature in winter) to get a tan just from doing almost anything outside during summer, late spring, and fall. The temperatures and hours of sunlight, during the approximately 6 months of the year with darker days, prevent people in the Upper Midwest from getting a tan.

I believe darker skin color is not necessarily a given with admixture of African or Native American ancestry together with European ancestry. I've known and seen with my own eyes just about as many pale mixed people with olive-skinned and dark-skinned mixed people in Mississippi, although the latter two happen more frequently than the former. I haven't seen too many dark-skinned Native American and European mixed people.

Maybe the Scots and the Irish and British looked mixed simply because they had a tan from being outside a lot and naturally had dark eyes and black or dark brown hair. I've heard that's something in Scotland with many people, but I know just as many blonde or red-haired people of Scottish, English, or Ulster-Scots descent from just living in Mississippi. None of them had tans. I barely know any white people who are really tan down here.

French and Italians and Spanish might have had a darker skin tone (like olive-skinned Arabs from areas like Syria) than Northern Europeans, who settled the Upper Midwest, but they were not of a separate race, with the exception of an admixture of Arabs in Sicily and in much of Spain. Nonetheless, it is true that the French and Spanish did colonize parts of Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and even the French technically had an early settlement predating St. Augustine, which is the oldest city continually in existence in the United States and was founded by the Spanish.

The French also came to the English Colonies in waves of migration of Protestant French people, Huguenots, primarily in the Carolinas and Georgia, and the Spanish also colonized Texas.

I think the South is changing very quickly, though, and there is more interracial marriage than there ever was in Jim Crow happening today, small as it may be. Some of that might contribute to modern-day Southerners looking more diverse and mixed than ever before.

Many people are getting less direct sun exposure in many ways, due to many of us now having more time spent indoors due to work in service industries and industrial work than on the farm, which was where most Southerner's worked as late as 50-odd years ago.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:27 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,686,367 times
Most larger cities in the deep South have small communities of Greek and/or Lebanese people. Always have had. Jewish also.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:47 AM

16 posts, read 12,629 times
It ain't because of "sunshine", that's hilarious...it's called historic RACE MIXING over centuries....keep in mind, the Moors conquered all of southern Europe for centuries...the Moors were from North Africa...

Get you DNA done, you might be surprised, or better yet "enlightened"....also remember, Jesus wasn't a "white guy" either.....

There's a joke in South Louisiana and Alabama that you never talk bad about people's family and race because your grandfather or great-grand mother might be one of "Them" ! There is a LOT of truth to this saying...

"Non-whites" are the majority on God's earth if you haven't noticed.

And, the "definition" of "white" is quite amorphous these days anyway...who cares

Old 11-27-2017, 09:48 AM

1,593 posts, read 833,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladi_D View Post
It ain't because of "sunshine", that's hilarious...it's called historic RACE MIXING over centuries....keep in mind, the Moors conquered all of southern Europe for centuries...the Moors were from North Africa...

Get you DNA done, you might be surprised, or better yet "enlightened"....also remember, Jesus wasn't a "white guy" either.....

There's a joke in South Louisiana and Alabama that you never talk bad about people's family and race because your grandfather or great-grand mother might be one of "Them" ! There is a LOT of truth to this saying...

"Non-whites" are the majority on God's earth if you haven't noticed.

And, the "definition" of "white" is quite amorphous these days anyway...who cares
The Moors were at least partially Germanic, the Vandals had a kingdom in Tunisia, Algeria and Libya after the fall of the Roman Emprie.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:56 AM

7,820 posts, read 12,326,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boran2 View Post
When I lived in the deep south states (Alabama, Louisiana, and especially Georgia), I noticed that people there who were white looked very mixed. For a while in Georgia, I was spending time with (to keep it as PG as possible) with a couple of women who had Anglo sounding names and a southern accent but they looked very Italian/Latina.

It kinda confused the life out of me and I didn't want to be rude so I never asked them. For some reason the south had an abundance of brunettes with tans who looked very Mediterranean and swarthy. Thought Scot-Irish and English were the most common descent down south.

Its different because here in the upper midwest, I run into an abundance of blondes and Caucasian Americans that more closely match the Northern European look.

Why is this?
Many people from West Virginia/Kentucky on down have Native American (usually Cherokee) ancestry and more white people have black ancestors than is often acknowledged or known. So many of my white friends mention a grandmother or a great grandfather etc who was "full blooded Cherokee".

South Louisiana, particularly the New Orleans area also has seen a lot of Italian immigration in the 1800s and the French ancestry is also there especially in Cajun country and these populations have also spread to other parts of the South. People on the gulf coast may also have Spanish (not Mexican) roots since Spain controlled parts of Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi and all of Florida at one time. (it was actually the Spanish that built the architecture you see today in the "French" Quarter)

Old 11-27-2017, 12:13 PM

1,593 posts, read 833,415 times
After all this, my stereotype Southern Belle has blonde hair and blue eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or