U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 06:59 AM

57 posts, read 53,227 times

Advertisements

Lots of places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 08:56 AM

6,850 posts, read 7,795,643 times
There are people who manage to live without cars because they canít afford one, even in rural areas.

Old 10-14-2017, 10:19 AM

4,480 posts, read 2,661,399 times
It's amazing what people spend and where they live just so they can make a dozen trips per year a little easier.

Like enduring long commutes and paying many thousands a year just to have a car, vs. having nearly zero commute and probably saving money despite higher in-town rents.

Getting up 30-60 minutes later, then a short stroll to work...heaven.

Old 10-15-2017, 04:14 AM

56,535 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Agreed. If there's some kind of public transportation available or you happen to be in a good central location with shops and eateries downtown, you can likely get by without a car. Especially nowadays when you can order things you can't get to via Amazon or a similar company and live someplace with a company that will deliver groceries like Peapod. And also especially if you're in a place with minimal or no snow issues; heavy snow and ice can limit mobility in winter, rendering normally usable sidewalks a problem.
Even with heavy snow, some cities have a snow removal system where they clear sidewalks in a relatively timely manner. Rochester NY is an example of this. City of Rochester | Sidewalk Snow Removal

https://reconnectrochester.org/south...snow-clearing/

Old 10-15-2017, 10:44 AM

5,410 posts, read 2,816,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
It's amazing what people spend and where they live just so they can make a dozen trips per year a little easier.

Like enduring long commutes and paying many thousands a year just to have a car, vs. having nearly zero commute and probably saving money despite higher in-town rents.

Getting up 30-60 minutes later, then a short stroll to work...heaven.
Sure, that part is convenient. But if your idea of hll is being sardine-canned among people night and day, it tends to cancel out the convenience factor.

I am glad people like different things, because it would be absolutely horrible to have everyone converging in one ginormous ball of humans.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:36 AM

611 posts, read 435,238 times
You do not need a car to live in Houston (especially if you live in the loop) but having one increases the convenience tremendously. I lived in the loop and whether downtown so on a daily basis the car was not that important as traffic and parking was more of a pain than simply taking the train. However, without the car, grocery shopping was tricky.

I would not recommend living in the burbs of any Texas City without a car no matter how populous they are.

I have not used it in a while so things may have changed but public transportation in San Antonio seemed very inconvenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Sure, that part is convenient. But if your idea of hll is being sardine-canned among people night and day, it tends to cancel out the convenience factor.

I am glad people like different things, because it would be absolutely horrible to have everyone converging in one ginormous ball of humans.
Lots of places have very short commutes without being sardine packed.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:50 AM

5,410 posts, read 2,816,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
You do not need a car to live in Houston (especially if you live in the loop) but having one increases the convenience tremendously. I lived in the loop and whether downtown so on a daily basis the car was not that important as traffic and parking was more of a pain than simply taking the train. However, without the car, grocery shopping was tricky.

I would not recommend living in the burbs of any Texas City without a car no matter how populous they are.

I have not used it in a while so things may have changed but public transportation in San Antonio seemed very inconvenient.

Lots of places have very short commutes without being sardine packed.
My comment addressed the one about being a short STROLL to work, not a car-drive. Which, after all, is specifically what the OP asked about.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:55 AM

2,808 posts, read 1,297,032 times
You could live in almost any town over 50k and actually many smaller ones without a car and only a bike.

You could live in any large city without a car, but it will limit where you can live, more so than a smaller city actually I think.

I didn't have a car in college and took transit to internships and such. I know several people including my old roommate who lived care free in DFW and were totally fine, they just made sure they lived and worked in areas with good service.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:38 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,879,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I'd assume that you can live without a car in any major city.
Basically. With trains, buses, Uber, Lyft, bikes, bikeshare, Zipcar, taxis, deliveries, your legs, skateboards, I think anywhere is feasible, though it'll still be pretty tough and time consuming. Doctors appointment at 4? Good luck leaving the house at 3:45 now.

Old 10-15-2017, 01:23 PM

1,509 posts, read 678,284 times
Default L.a.

One could certainly live w/o a car in the LA area, if both home and workplace are in walking distance of a Metro or Metrolink station, or connected by a bus line with frequent service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or