U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 09:34 AM

2,808 posts, read 1,303,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Lol why? Birmingham is very outdoorsy and so is New Orleans.

“Birmingham, known as the Magic City, is the largest city in Alabama and is a treasure trove of outdoor gems for people that are passionate about reconnecting with nature in an otherwise urban landscape. There are beautiful routes for trail running, hiking, and mountain biking.”

Didn’t know “outdoorsy” only meant that a City was to be surrounded by mountains.
I'm not saying there isn't nature, but Birmingham and NOLA have much higher than average obesity rates. It makes sense though because LA and AL are #1 and #3 respectively. Not enough people are running, hiking or mountain biking apparently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 10:11 AM

7,583 posts, read 4,003,555 times
A city could be all obese people but still be outdoorsy.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:15 AM
_OT

2,144 posts, read 1,521,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I'm not saying there isn't nature, but Birmingham and NOLA have much higher than average obesity rates. It makes sense though because LA and AL are #1 and #3 respectively. Not enough people are running, hiking or mountain biking apparently.
Lol ok? What the hell that has to do with the thread though?

Fact of the matter is, Birmingham is a City/Nature combo city. There’s parks, trails, and etc. all over; I’d say Red Mountain Park is similar to Runyon Canyon Park in LA, but with more trees and other greenery, I believe it’s longer as well. Local Alabamians aren’t the only people who venture off into those activities.

And I’m pretty sure, Rail Road Park and The Rotary Trail has people running and walking everyday, if it’s not raining.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:53 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,138,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Amarillo. The scenery is absolutely breath taking.
Lubbock, hands down!

Old 10-16-2017, 12:47 PM

9,007 posts, read 4,115,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Amarillo. The scenery is absolutely breath taking.
You wouldn't think it, but Palo Duro Canyon, directly south of Amarillo, is beautiful.

As for best city/nature combo, I would say Portland, Seattle, Denver, and Austin.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:52 PM

1,041 posts, read 522,212 times
I'm going to go with Portland here, with Seattle and Austin as honorable mentions.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:54 PM

9,007 posts, read 4,115,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I'm going to go with Portland here, with Seattle and Austin as honorable mentions.
If you also include smaller cities, I would add Asheville NC and Santa Fe NM to the list as well.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:02 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,386,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Honestly, I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I don't like having nature intertwined with the city I'm living in. As long as there are a few forest preserves and parks, that's fine by me. I actively dislike the aesthetic a lot of Western cities like Seattle and Denver have where there's very visible mountain scenery just outside the metropolis. To me it kind of says "ha ha, humans, you can build up all you want but this will always be superior".

I prefer the more grimy, concrete-jungle aesthetic - maybe you can travel a couple counties out to get a nature fix, but you're not surrounded by it. I like the feeling of our species having completely bulldozed over and transformed the land into something alien. I grew up in the city of Chicago and went to preschool in a 21-story tower in the Loop - I guess it made its impression early.
That's the way it should be. Nature>Man.

You can still have the "grimy concrete jungle aesthetic" while having nature intertwine.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:05 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,386,291 times
Minneapolis-Saint Paul has some incredible nature spots within city limits, and great ones not that far outside city limits.

You got waterfalls like Minnehaha Falls in MPLS and Shadow Falls in SP and the woods surrounding them. Tons of lakes, and other forested areas such as Theodore Wirth Regional Park just northwest of Minneapolis.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:41 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,474,881 times
Honolulu is my favorite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.