U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 08:54 AM

997 posts, read 601,620 times

Advertisements

Given your proclivities, I'd choose Wisconsin. Centrist state, but that's because it's a mix of conservative values along with environmental consciousness. The state is very much about its wildlife, outdoors, hunting, etc. Hard working, no nonsense, largely German ancestry. There are places to ski, you have a nice, mid sized city in Milwaukee, and a beautiful capital (yet very liberal) city in Madison. Lot's of trees, rolling countryside, water, lakes. Lots of responsible hunters and looser gun laws than where I live (Illinois).

It's cold, but summers are nice and you have the waterpark capital of the world there in the Wisconsin Dells. For someone who is fine with a colder, snowy winter, it's a great state to be in.

My son goes to college in central Wisconsin, and it's a lovely area, nice people who just do their business and enjoy where they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 06:34 PM

113 posts, read 155,204 times
Thank you all again.Kmanshouse,can you recommend any specific areas?Thanks again.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:13 PM

7,762 posts, read 9,065,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Given your proclivities, I'd choose Wisconsin. Centrist state, but that's because it's a mix of conservative values along with environmental consciousness. The state is very much about its wildlife, outdoors, hunting, etc. Hard working, no nonsense, largely German ancestry. There are places to ski, you have a nice, mid sized city in Milwaukee, and a beautiful capital (yet very liberal) city in Madison. Lot's of trees, rolling countryside, water, lakes. Lots of responsible hunters and looser gun laws than where I live (Illinois).

It's cold, but summers are nice and you have the waterpark capital of the world there in the Wisconsin Dells. For someone who is fine with a colder, snowy winter, it's a great state to be in.

My son goes to college in central Wisconsin, and it's a lovely area, nice people who just do their business and enjoy where they are.
Centrist is the best type politics. Maybe that's why I like the Upper Midwest.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:13 PM

997 posts, read 601,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE COLLAR View Post
Thank you all again.Kmanshouse,can you recommend any specific areas?Thanks again.
I'm not a Wisconsin expert on specific areas. If you don't need to be near a city, stay north of Madison somewhere in the central part of the state. If you go really far north, you may love it, but it's quite remote. Depends on your preference. Perhaps head over to the Wisconsin forum?

My son goes to school in Stevens Point, and it's a sleepy, but nice town, anchored by the university and a large insurance company. That general area is pleasant. Baraboo has Devils Lake State Park, which is gorgeous. Baraboo is near a touristy area (WI Dells), but not right in the Dells.

Generally, I like the attitude of the people. Friendly, uncomplicated, self-sufficient, and they appreciate what they have.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:58 AM

4,961 posts, read 1,852,226 times
WI and MI seem to be all about yesterday with their best days behind them. They come off as backward looking states to me. MN is the future.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:56 AM

2,038 posts, read 1,034,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
WI and MI seem to be all about yesterday with their best days behind them. They come off as backward looking states to me. MN is the future.
Would disagree with your very biased statement, completely. Minnesota would be the third of these states I would choose. Outside of the Twin Cities, it doesn't have much to offer.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:41 PM

7,762 posts, read 9,065,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
If you want backward go out West. These two states are much less backwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Would disagree with your very biased statement, completely. Minnesota would be the third of these states I would choose. Outside of the Twin Cities, it doesn't have much to offer.
Minnesota, Michigan, and Wisconsin all have plenty to offer.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:01 AM
sub

821 posts, read 420,248 times
I like all three. Probably my favorite region.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:11 AM

21,387 posts, read 21,954,803 times
Minnesota and Michigan are quite different from each other and complement each other quite well. Wisconsin is mostly filler and exists only as a walled in region where the other two states send their incorrigibles, ner-do-wells and cannibals to live out their remaining days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or