Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2008, 01:13 PM

4 posts, read 11,021 times

Advertisements

My husband got 2 jobs offers, one is from Highland Heights, KY (Cincinnati, OH area) and another one is River Falls, WI (St. Paul/Minneapolis, MN area). Since both jobs salary will be almost same (WI has few thousand bucks more), we could not make decision. Is anyone knows both of areas and could give us some idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 04:29 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,873 times
Minneapolis is cool, but is nearly an hour away from River Falls. You'd be pretty isolated. The weather will be significantly colder, and commuting into the city for shopping or entertainment will stick you with quite a bit of traffic. The area is beautiful, but expect to pay high property taxes.

The Cincinnati metro is a bit smaller, but only 10 minutes away from Highland Heights. Going into the city for entertainment or whatnot would be a breeze. The weather will be warmer as well.

Cincinnati seems like the more convenient and practical option.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:30 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,708 times
Minneapolis is the most underrated city in America. It has a strong financial foundation with ever growing job opportunities. I think one would be more happy in Minneapolis plus you know how people say "Minnesota Nice." the people there really are the opposite of new yorkers!

Old 03-18-2008, 04:36 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,873 times
...except they wouldn't be in Minneapolis.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:25 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,729 times
I'm a little biased in favor of Minnesota and Wisconsin, so I' go with the job in Wisconsin, which I think is a nicer state than Ohio. If you enjoy outdoor activities, you'll find that Wisconsin either has the highest or one of the highest amounts of lakes per area of any of the fifty states. However, if being close to the center of a large city is important, you might be happier in Cincinnati and you'll probably have nicer winters near Cincinnati.

Why not spend a day or two in each location?

Also, if the money and benefits are about the same, I suggest that you investigate the cost of living in each area. If I had to guess I'd say that the cost of living and real estate would be lower in a small Wisconsin town than it would be in an immediate suburb of Cincinnati, but that's something you need to investigate further.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:22 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Don't know much about Cinci, but if you live in River Falls and your husband's job is there, he will have a very easy commute, as River Falls is a small town (not a post-WWII suburb). If you enjoy city things (museums, night life, pro sports, festivals), you will be about a 30 minute drive (non-rush hour) from St Paul and 45 minutes from Minneapolis. Many people who work in Mpls and St Paul commute from River Falls every day. (I wouldn't do it, but then I'm a city-lover and couldn't imagine living in a small town or burb.)

I agree with bhaal, visit each place and see which suits you.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:50 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times
The question I would ask is if you want to live IN a metropolitan area, or if you prefer live NEAR a metropolitan area. If you want a small town with the occasional convenience of Mpls.; Wisconsin has a much better aesthetic to it. Schools are better, et cetera. If you (like me) would need to live within a view of a skyline, you should enjoy Cinti.. Living in Mpls. and commuting to Wisconsin is simply not very feasible.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:57 PM

409 posts, read 1,505,453 times
Wisconsin all the way. I highly doubt you would regret it. The twin cities metro is one of the few unspoiled large metros out there. The person who mentioned "Minnesota Nice" hit the nail right on the head. For such a large metro area, people are much more friendly there than almost anywhere else I have been. The area is progressive and artsy. Its diverse, but not as diverse as Cinci. There is SO MUCH to do within 50 miles of Minneapolis or St. Paul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.