U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 06:07 PM

3,501 posts, read 1,700,762 times

Advertisements

How linear the Salt Lake City Metro is. From Provo to Ogden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 06:26 PM

21,959 posts, read 22,113,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Beautiful scenery. I've never been to Utah, but it is probably my next vacation destination. I really want to see to the national parks around Moab.
DM me when you get ready to start planning your vacation. I can give you tons of suggestions, especially about the national parks.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
I have a very positive impression of Utah.

The first things that come to my mind when I think of it (aside from Mormons) would be mountains and a sunny, relatively dry climate (as is typical of states in that region of the country in general). I think about the national parks. I've said this before: Utah is the most physically beautiful state I've seen. However, in fairness, I haven't seen anywhere close to all of the states.

I also think of college football, Utah and BYU. BYU is having an ugly year, but I cheer for them because they had the audacity to go independent. They're my David in the Goliath-themed world of college football. I hope they get themselves in position to compete for a national title soon.

I think Utah has a surprisingly worldly population. They're not one of the more diverse states demographically speaking, but due to the church's excellent and extremely extensive missions program, there's an unusually high percentage of native-born residents who are fluent in a foreign language, are well-traveled and are comfortable interacting with other ethnicities and cultures.

I'd say generally Utahans are a pleasure to interact with on a personal level -- they're polite and kind, perhaps a wee bit spacey though.

What does Utah lack compared to other states I find more appealing as places to visit or to live? Well, I love major ocean beaches (and yes, I realize most Texas gulf beaches aren't much to write home about ). I also prefer alpha/mega-cities. Those are the places that I believe give the typical person greatest access to amenities and to economic advancement (although places that are mega-cities with unreasonably high costs-of-living can be clear exceptions to this generality). I may be wrong about this, but I would also imagine Utah is not exactly a trendsetter in the nightlife category.

That's my two-cents. But overall I think highly of Utah, so please go easy on me ...
Why shouldn't I go easy on you? You said some incredibly nice things about my home state. Thank you!

Old 10-14-2017, 06:43 PM

350 posts, read 607,715 times
British

Since I learned Utah is the state with the largest English ancestry percentage, that's all I think. I would've never guessed

Last edited by Smash XY; 10-14-2017 at 06:52 PM..

Old 10-14-2017, 08:23 PM

2,998 posts, read 4,701,730 times
Hot looking Marie osmond

Old 10-14-2017, 08:26 PM

8,047 posts, read 5,891,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Please don't say "Mormons."<>
Skiing in about eight of the most accessible ski areas in the world about an hour from an international airport.
Which is a complete puzzle to me since the rest of the State has to survive off about 20 gallons of water a year.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Skiing in about eight of the most accessible ski areas in the world about an hour from an international airport.
Which is a complete puzzle to me since the rest of the State has to survive off about 20 gallons of water a year.
Utah as a whole gets a mere 16" of rainfall a year. The Wasatch Mountains, however, get over 500" of snow in an average year, and the Spring runoff is captured in reservoirs. We are the second driest state in the union, after Nevada.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
British

Since I learned Utah is the state with the largest English ancestry percentage, that's all I think. I would've never guessed
I didn't know that!

Old 10-14-2017, 08:44 PM

8,047 posts, read 5,891,914 times
Another striking thing about Utah, or specifically SLC, is the "bath tub ring" around the mountains on the East of the city which seems to define a water level where the Great Lake Bonneville would have been millennia ago. It is a definite layer of a different color all around the city.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
Hot looking Marie osmond
Yeah, I guess for her age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.