U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 12:19 PM

5,429 posts, read 13,187,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Texas. Texas and oh Texas.
I second that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 12:25 PM

2,064 posts, read 6,021,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wydrew9 View Post
What part of the country is doing the best right now with jobs for college grads, taxes, population increase ... so on and so forth? why?
What is you degree and what do you want to do. In general though, the sunbelt definitely has the majority of job growth from the Southeast, across Texas to Arizona.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:41 PM

386 posts, read 1,538,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wydrew9 View Post
haha yea thats what i plan on doing right after graduation bc i have no idea how it feels to hear about jobs comming in rather than going out lol
Where are you moving?

Old 03-18-2008, 01:45 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,727,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
Not even close. NoVa has a hot government-related job market. But it is, by most accounts, inflated. And NYC and Boston are two of the most economically stagnant areas. The most economically viable areas are those that actually promote population and job growth. Because Boston and NYC are so cost prohibitive to the middle class, no company will move there.

The reason Charlotte, Nashville, Houston, Dallas, Austin, and Atlanta are exploding is that they all offer cheap land, low taxes, and decent quality of life that attracts businesses and, consequently, people. NYC and Boston are great American cities. But they are SO last century. The face of America is in Nashville and Dallas.....
I beg to differ. There are many companies moving here. You people act as if NYC and Boston are in depression.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:20 PM

3,047 posts, read 8,145,527 times
If you want to look at large regions, the region of chicago-indianapolis-detroit-cleveland-pittsburgh is the 2nd strongest economic region in the United States.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:42 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,674,412 times
St. Louis was recently rated third in the number of companies moving there.

Chicago was #1 in that list I believe.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:54 PM

583 posts, read 1,141,266 times
Default Sprawl, sprawl, sprawl... as far as eye can see

There lots of companies that have moved or are moving their jobs to Texas, Arizona, and similar areas, but in general these areas look far more depressed to me than NYC, Boston, DC, Bay Area, Seattle, LA. These 'economic growth' areas are incidentally the ones with the hugest sprawl and the most desperate real estate market. The real estate market in these areas is taking a lot deeper dive than in the traditionally expensive cities where the inventory in the popular areas is scarce and prices are still holding strong and even going up.

I've visited Texas in 2005 and had my friend's cousin begging me to buy their house in Plano that they were desperately trying to sell for months and months. When I drove by, I saw avg of 5 houses for sale on each suburban block, it was very depressing. And at that time it was still a real estate boom everywhere else even in the city of Dallas itself.

Another question to ask is the quality of jobs that are 'relocating'. I worked for a CA company that moved a lot of jobs to Texas and Arizona but these were the lowest paying jobs and the IT jobs they couldn't outsource to India. Employees were encouraged to move and ... get a paycut. Most people stayed in Cali and refused to go to Texas even when it meant losing their job. And of course most of the higher paying jobs and executive positions were not even a subject to move.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:57 PM

21 posts, read 78,744 times
i am shooting for the tampa/orlando area for the most part but i havent even really considered texas. I dont know why, but prolly bc i have always liked that area a great deal. Oh and I will have a dual of mba in finance and a 4 year cpa in accounting.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:35 PM

583 posts, read 1,141,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
The reason Charlotte, Nashville, Houston, Dallas, Austin, and Atlanta are exploding is that they all offer cheap land, low taxes, and decent quality of life that attracts businesses and, consequently, people. NYC and Boston are great American cities. But they are SO last century. The face of America is in Nashville and Dallas.....
I certainly hope not If some of these new sprawly generic burbs with street malls and concrete corporate parks will become the face of America.. it will be very very sad. I hope there will be something other than sky-high gas prices to prevent it.

I seriously doubt there is any given city in the US that would qualify to call itself a 'face of America'. US is too much of a diverse country for that and there are places for different tastes. Thankfully.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:44 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,792,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT13 View Post
I certainly hope not If some of these new sprawly generic burbs with street malls and concrete corporate parks will become the face of America.. it will be very very sad. I hope there will be something other than sky-high gas prices to prevent it.
I just love snobbery. Basically something that doesn't meet your rarefied standards of how people should live automatically discounts it, despite the OP's original question of which parts of the country are showing the most economic vitality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or