U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 09:06 AM

7,137 posts, read 9,911,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
By the U.S. Census districts:

South - 16 states, 121.2 million people
West - 13 states, 75.8 million people
Midwest - 11 states, 61.9 million people
Northeast - 9 states, 56.1 million people

I was surprised to find that the West was the second largest by population.
Well, notice the size of the South. Texas alone is larger then the entire Northeast.

The South goes all the way from the Atlantic Ocean to the Texas-New Mexico border while the Northeast goes from the Atlantic to just the Pennsylvania-Ohio border. This is because "the North" is divided into two regions; Midwest and Northeast. If you added them together, going by your figures the North would have 20 states and 118 million people. A lot more respectable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 09:08 AM

2,403 posts, read 913,816 times
People are nicer. Food is better. Housing is cheaper.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:21 AM

7,137 posts, read 9,911,493 times
Default Why is the south the most populated region?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob1 View Post
I recently read that the south is the most populated region in the country. Why do you think this is?
I can think of a number of reasons.

1. SIZE - The size of the South, essentially the Midwest and Northeast combined.

2. COL - the cost of living is often higher in high population density areas like the Northeast, notably for housing.

3. LOWER TAXES in the South - during boom times of the past, politicians in some parts of the North promised long term unsustainable benefits that resulted in higher taxes that many people today are questioning. It used to be that seniors would retire and move South (mostly to Florida) but now young and middle-aged people are talking about leaving too.

4. BETTER WEATHER - obviously this is opinion (and one that I don't totally share) but many people, possibly most people believe the South has better weather then the Northern states and parts of the West. What has happened is that after WW2 it became easier for more people to have a swimming pool and then air conditioning, helping turn the South's former horrible weather into an asset.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:52 AM

2,006 posts, read 1,020,568 times
My family is grown and out of the house. If I still had children at home, though, I would choose a region other than the south, for schooling. Typically, the southeast comes in last in high school educational attainment.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:33 PM

433 posts, read 257,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
It's warmer, and humans, being a warm-blooded species, gravitate to it.
Actually being warm-blooded (in the biological sense) makes it less important that the climate be warm year-round.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:27 PM

3,512 posts, read 2,974,101 times
Early settlement by colonists, large slave populations, new Great Migration back South, largest land area, warm weather and cheapest CoL of the major regions.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:44 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,388,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Most people prefer hot climate over cold climate. The only issue is hot climate places in the US have more crime, since they have higher population like Los Angeles and Miami. It's weird how people said A/C made the South more popular, but if someone lives in the south, aren't they supposed to "get used to the hot" and cherish the heat? My parents came from a tropical country (not saying where), but they told me in their country, they were used to the heat and humidity to the point where you can't feel it, since they were born into it.

Retirees coming from the baby boom generation tend to prefer hot climates so that add more population to the south.
In my experience, people in the South complain more about the heat than people in the North complain about the cold. A lot of my friends back in Texas are jealous of the weather we have up here in the fall while its still hot there. The heat gets old and in my opinion, way faster than the cold.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:24 PM

10,675 posts, read 8,196,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
COL in the southeast has risen quickly in the popular metros (Atlanta, Nashville, Charlotte, Raleigh, etc.). I've heard many people that move here from the northeast complaining about it recently. Reality is, you can get a nicer, bigger house, but that's it. Nothing else here is cheaper other than real estate and real estate taxes. The bigger, newer houses in the more desirable areas of these regions are not cheap anymore. Much higher than the national average, for builder grade houses. Not uncommon to pay $400-$600k for new/newer tract houses in these metros now. Many people are paying the same for their houses here as they sold in NY and MA. The difference is the taxes are cheaper and they have a bigger, newer, nicer house. I'm not sure if their standard of living changes much though.
New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Ohio residents raising the prices

Old 10-18-2017, 07:35 PM

2 posts, read 1,231 times
I'm a Californian, but the Southern girls and the way they talk, they knock me out when I'm down there.

That said, I wish they all could be California, I wish they all could be California, I wish they all could be California girls.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:48 PM

5,169 posts, read 2,765,302 times
Now add in the square miles each region represents and it will become clear. For the West subtract out HI and Alaska and the density will return to normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or