U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 10:58 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,253,023 times

Advertisements

Region: Population Density [Population] [Total Area]
Northeast: 119.90/km2 [56,209,510] [468,794 km2]
Midwest: 31.92/km2 [67,941,429] [2,128,226 km2]
South: 51.32/km2 [122,319,574] [2,383,280 km2]
West: 15.81/km2 [76,657,000] [4,847,368 km2]

Combined Northeast & Midwest: 47.81/km2 [124,150,939] [2,597,020 km2]
Contiguous West: 24.02/km2 [74,486,549] [3,101,201 km2]
South w/out DC/Delaware/Maryland: 48.88/km2 [114,669,892] [2,345,840 km2]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 08:14 AM

23,579 posts, read 17,567,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
COL in the southeast has risen quickly in the popular metros (Atlanta, Nashville, Charlotte, Raleigh, etc.). I've heard many people that move here from the northeast complaining about it recently. Reality is, you can get a nicer, bigger house, but that's it. Nothing else here is cheaper other than real estate and real estate taxes. The bigger, newer houses in the more desirable areas of these regions are not cheap anymore. Much higher than the national average, for builder grade houses. Not uncommon to pay $400-$600k for new/newer tract houses in these metros now. Many people are paying the same for their houses here as they sold in NY and MA. The difference is the taxes are cheaper and they have a bigger, newer, nicer house. I'm not sure if their standard of living changes much though.
A lot of folks think South=cheap, and like you said, that's just not the case. I lived in Indianapolis for three years. It is much cheaper than Nashville or Raleigh, for instance. Most major Midwestern metros outside of Chicago are going to be significantly cheaper than the booming areas of the Sun Belt like Nashville.

In the South, pay is often significantly lower than the Midwest, and the cost of living is often higher.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:44 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,443,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
A lot of folks think South=cheap, and like you said, that's just not the case. I lived in Indianapolis for three years. It is much cheaper than Nashville or Raleigh, for instance. Most major Midwestern metros outside of Chicago are going to be significantly cheaper than the booming areas of the Sun Belt like Nashville.

In the South, pay is often significantly lower than the Midwest, and the cost of living is often higher.
I tried comparing Birmingham, AL to Omaha, NE, but it's probably not an accurate reflection of what people in the Birmingham area actually pay (the difference between urban and suburban Omaha is far less pronounced), so I used a couple of their more well-known suburbs for comparison:

Why is the south the most populated region?-comp.png

Now granted the salary increase is likely theoretical; in practice, the salary may actually be lower than Bellevue's.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:48 PM

4,211 posts, read 2,830,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Another interesting corridor would be Richmond, Charlotte, Durham, Greensboro, Atlanta, Birmingham, Jackson, Shreveport and DFW.
This would never happen because for all intents and purposes, Richmond is already part of the BosWash/Northeast Corridor; if for some reason you don't believe it is, how long will it be? Five years? Ten? Richmond is just infinitely more connected to more northern areas, especially DC and Maryland, than anywhere in the South....

The Piedmont corridor stretching 85 from Raleigh to Birmingham is an interesting one...

Old 10-20-2017, 07:52 PM

721 posts, read 299,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
It is all about the weather! ;0)
^^This. As I say so often on city-data. Some people like winter up north, but even more people don't like winter.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:54 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,163,299 times
Warmer cheaper and less taxes. I like the South I love Nashville but I am not a fan big of Texas and Florida for living, too overcrowded.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:13 PM

23,579 posts, read 17,567,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
I tried comparing Birmingham, AL to Omaha, NE, but it's probably not an accurate reflection of what people in the Birmingham area actually pay (the difference between urban and suburban Omaha is far less pronounced), so I used a couple of their more well-known suburbs for comparison:

Attachment 191519

Now granted the salary increase is likely theoretical; in practice, the salary may actually be lower than Bellevue's.
Hoover is fairly affluent, but I've only been through Birmingham once and am not that familiar with it. I have friends there, two gay couples (one in Hoover) who love it. They think it's a gem flying under the radar compared to Nashville and such.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:58 PM

5,294 posts, read 3,510,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
This would never happen because for all intents and purposes, Richmond is already part of the BosWash/Northeast Corridor; if for some reason you don't believe it is, how long will it be? Five years? Ten? Richmond is just infinitely more connected to more northern areas, especially DC and Maryland, than anywhere in the South....

The Piedmont corridor stretching 85 from Raleigh to Birmingham is an interesting one...
Why wouldn't it ever happen? Just because Richmond seems almost desperate to identify with and 'join' the Northeast Corridor, the logical expansion of the Acela for example is from D.C. through Richmond to at least Atlanta for now.

The local Inter-City and medium distance traffic would be phenomenal. It would take cars off of the overly congested I-95 & I-85, and would greatly reduce the need for the massive number of flights up and down the corridor every day - along with their carbon footprint.

Last edited by JMatl; 10-20-2017 at 11:10 PM..

Old 10-21-2017, 05:43 AM

4,211 posts, read 2,830,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Why wouldn't it ever happen? Just because Richmond seems almost desperate to identify with and 'join' the Northeast Corridor, the logical expansion of the Acela for example is from D.C. through Richmond to at least Atlanta for now.

The local Inter-City and medium distance traffic would be phenomenal. It would take cars off of the overly congested I-95 & I-85, and would greatly reduce the need for the massive number of flights up and down the corridor every day - along with their carbon footprint.
Richmond isn't "desperate" for anything; my heart goes out to you, that from a post I type you're able to glean these false perceptions, and you do it repeatedly...

Richmond has always been connected to DC. Obviously you have no real ties to here because if you did you'd know that much at least...

Your preconceived and wayward perceptions of Richmond don't make them true, so leave your feelings at the door...

Old 10-21-2017, 08:56 AM

1,703 posts, read 1,366,118 times
Simple - it's cheap. I can't tell you how many people I know who have left DC to go to North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Texas, etc because it's cheaper and they feel like overall they'll have a better quality of life.

I could be wrong, but I predict relatively soon, the north is going to become so expensive it's only going to be affordable to a small segment of the population. The dichotomy is that the more people move to the south, eventually that will raise the prices down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or