U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2019, 09:47 PM

5,128 posts, read 5,839,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post

That reminds me, I forgot my counter point to that food bit.

Southerners put down northern food WAY more often than vice-versa.
I have never heard a southerner put down northern food. Not even once. They rarely even have reason to think about it.

But I've heard northerners put down southern food continuously. Here's an example . . . I was reading a blog written by a young lady in New York City. One day, she blogged about having to change flights in Atlanta where she had a layover. She claimed that as soon as she stepped off the plane, the smell of sickening artery-clogging fried food was everywhere. Then she went on to disparage southern food. She changed planes and that was that.

First of all, I call b.s. on that story. It's pure fiction that sells well in New York.

Secondly, the idiot didn't step foot in Atlanta to even know what there was to eat. Nor did she consult the Internet to look at restaurants. To sit there in this day and age and say that all the food in Atlanta is fried, is a level of arrogance and stupidity that floors me. I would say the majority of the food is NOT fried and there is plenty of healthful food available.

I see that type of ignorant comment online constantly. Often they are written by people who have spent little to no time in the South.

I grew up in Miami, Florida. My maternal grandparents were from Virginia and they were the ones to move to Florida. Guess what? My grandmother was a great cook, and hardly anything was fried. Same with my mother. Obviously, fried chicken was fried, but not much else was, and this was during my childhood in the 1960s and 1970s.

Southern food can mean a lot of things depending on location and natural resources. Like Charleston is a huge seafood town and so was Florida where I grew up.

The one single comment I ever heard that could remotely apply to northern cooking, is that my mother said my father's family ate more canned food, because they had spent a long time in the north and the growing season was shorter. So my father was a little surprised by all the fresh produce. Again, this was the 1960s and 1970s. My parents married in 1957, so produce transport wasn't as good as now. My father's family had been in Florida longer than that, but had never changed their eating habits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 10:02 PM

Another example, but this time it's Californians.

I've mentioned this story on City-Data before. Anyway, I used to read a blog written by a lady who moved from California to Franklin, Tennessee. One day, she wrote a whole blog post about the stupid (her words) questions she got from Californians back home. Yes, these are REAL questions she got.

1) Are you able to get the Academy Awards in Tennessee?

2) Can you get regular nail polish colors in Tennessee?

3) Do you still have all your teeth?

4) What do you do all day to entertain yourself?

5) Are you just sitting on your front porch watching the world go by?

6) Can you get regular food in Franklin?

7) Are there any decent restaurants there?

8) Do people graduate or even go to college in Tennessee?

After said Californians come to visit her in Tennessee, she gets . . .

1) You have quite a sophisticated highway system!

2) It's quite civilized!

These were questions from people who probably think they are fairly sophisticated. Never mind that Franklin, Tennessee is a bedroom community south of Nashville with one of the highest per capita incomes in the country. She has gotten to the point that she basically says, "Google is your friend."

Old 01-11-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:

Third criteria: expectations. There do exist a vocal minority of southerners who, before ever even meeting a "Yankee", will expect to dislike them. So let's say a northern man has lived in the south for a few years and generally likes it there. One day he states ONE complaint in conversation, and the "expecters" jump all over him. "YOU YANKEES TRYING TO CHANGE US RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!" Never even giving the situation any thought beyond, "git 'em, boys!"
"Git 'em, boys!" would be language used by a certain class, and Southerners are of all classes. So, right off the bat, I find that language offensive as a description of what a typical Southerner would say. No one in my family and none of my friends talks like that.

The automatic dislike some southerners have for "Yankees" is born of bitter experience.

As I said before, there are more northerners coming down here than vice versa. Southerners have a LOT of personal experience with northerners moving in, therefore have most likely developed an opinion. It's really no different than natives of Idaho hating Californians moving in and changing things.

Most southerners will give you a chance, but some feel they have already given enough chances. That "one complaint" probably reminds them of northerners who did nothing but complain, unfortunately.

The other thing is that in cities that have been overrun by northerners, the southern culture becomes more muted. Locals naturally feel those places have lost a lot of the interpersonal warmth they once had. They will say, "XYZ Town isn't even southern anymore."

Also, I never heard this in Florida, but I have heard this in the mountains - some southerners hate northerners because of the history of carpetbaggers who came from the north.

Old 01-12-2019, 01:12 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 15 days ago)

10,451 posts, read 14,299,056 times
Quote:
That reminds me, I forgot my counter point to that food bit.

Southerners put down northern food WAY more often than vice-versa.
Yeah, I'm going to question that one too. Been down south for nearly 30 yrs now and I can honestly say I don't think I've encountered that. They might think that southerners are the best at certain foods, say fried chicken, crawfish, etc. but to actually put down food from other regions? Not that I've heard.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:20 AM

23,035 posts, read 34,995,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post

1) Are you able to get the Academy Awards in Tennessee?
Like this is so important.
Whatever burnt out airhead asked that can stay in California.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:23 AM

23,035 posts, read 34,995,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Yeah, I'm going to question that one too. Been down south for nearly 30 yrs now and I can honestly say I don't think I've encountered that. They might think that southerners are the best at certain foods, say fried chicken, crawfish, etc. but to actually put down food from other regions? Not that I've heard.
Who would put down Boston Baked Beans, Lobster Rolls, Clam Chowder, and Apple Pie anyway?

Old 01-12-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post

Like this is so important.

Whatever burnt out airhead asked that can stay in California.
The blogger laughed too. She said our military can get the Academy Awards in Afghanistan. Why do these people think Tennessee is on another planet?

Old 01-12-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post

Who would put down Boston Baked Beans, Lobster Rolls, Clam Chowder, and Apple Pie anyway?
NO ONE!

Hell, my mom used to make Clam Chowder all the way down in Miami. And we owned a freaking "Joy of Cooking" cookbook.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:58 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,729,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I have never heard a southerner put down northern food. Not even once.
REALLY!? Are you people from the MOON?

You have GOT to be pulling my leg.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:32 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 15 days ago)

10,451 posts, read 14,299,056 times
Quote:
REALLY!? Are you people from the MOON?

You have GOT to be pulling my leg.
No, really. Most southerners I know generally enjoy food, all kinds of food. They might have a preference for southern dishes, or be unfamiliar with some dishes outside their region, but I don't recall southerners in general turning up their noses at a dish from 'elsewhere' or putting it down for that reason, I mean, it's FOOD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or